Trail Cam Rookie Questions for Elk

yak

Lil-Rokslider
So I was recently tempted by Camofire and purchased a couple game cameras. I've never really used game cams as part of my scouting, but I'd like to give it a try. If nothing else, these cameras are a good excuse to pack into the backcountry and get some up close pictures of some elk in the CO high country. I am going to set them up in a week or two (Early July) and due to my inexperience, I have a few questions regarding how you use game cams.

1. How long do you leave a game camera unattended? I hunt in an area that is not a fun hike in/out and would like to leave the cameras out for 1-1.5 months. Is this too long for the batteries to last?

2. Do you bait the game camera's with any salt to attract game into the line of sight of the camera? What kind and how much do you use?

3. What is the best way to check the camera's in the field? I am thinking about bringing a point and shoot camera with an SD card slot. I don't want to pack in more than I have to.

4. Have you had more success on trails or wallows (I don't think I'll be able to fine any wallows in early July).

I've noticed it is difficult to find good information out there for setting up game cameras in regards to elk specifically. Any input or links to other threads would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
4. Have you had more success on trails or wallows (I don't think I'll be able to fine any wallows in early July).

You can always find wallows. I have several wallows marked that I check up on every year before a hunt. I wish I had several cameras to put up on every one.

My batteries last about 3 months in mine, and I use my digital camera to check them with the SD card.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Until it gets cold as noted your batteries should last 3+ months...I just put 5 out Saturday and like you it is not a two hr thing but an all day event..I will not check them until Labor Day weekend. I placed 3 over wallows of past experience with and two on trails. I wait until I get home to check the cards. I have one camera remaining and ran out of time. Will go out to a new unknown spot soon for it, but hiking in 100 degree weather and crazy amount of hats made for a unpleasant day! Also I lock all my cameras both the housing and on the tree.

wawhitey

Lil-Rokslider
Wallows are good when theyre being used. A heavily used game trail with some salt gets pics throughout the year where im at. Save yourself the headache and just use the ultimate lithium batteries. Good cam can go a full calendar year with a set of those. Havent checked any of my cameras since mid may. Have a couple i put up in march in new spots that i havent checked once yet. As long as bears didnt move them around no big deal to leave them that long. Ill be hiking in 100 degree heat this coming weekend to check them all

GOnDEEP

Lil-Rokslider
Ditto on everything mentioned above. I personally like to set my camera ~10ft in a tree (against most manufactures suggestions) pointed down (HME camera holder). This not only helps avoid theft but also bears. Yes bears can climb but they don't seem to see the cameras as often as if they were eye level. In the past I have many many times found my cameras laying in the dirt out in a wallow. After further investigation, days after I put it up a fury black creature ripped it off the tree. Talk about a bummer after walking in many steep miles and months later. I have had luck as Ross said with Python cables and lock boxes against bears but have had them stolen by the two legged creature more than once. Tough pill to swallow.

Finch

WKR
Good luck with the cameras. They can be fun! I used to make my own "homebrew" cams but have since gotten out of it. Really don't use cameras anymore because they were changing the way I hunted, negatively.

Anyway, go with rechargeable batteries. You'll save a bunch of money that way. I just checked a cam that's been out since February and it still had 30% battery life.

I always took an extra SD card into the woods along with a change of batteries to swap cards and batteries. Ditto on the digital camera to check the cards if too impatient to check home or if you want to see if your camera is getting any action.

I also would python lock to the tree and lock the door with a small lock to prevent anyone from stealing my sd cards.

One other theft prevention method I used was placing a label on the top of the cam that read, "Do you see my other camera because it sees you!" Not sure if it works but if I was a thief; it would make me think twice.

Yak, I’m new to this site, so this is my first post. I found out that there isn’t much out there on trail cams and elk. I was in your shoes a year ago. I had never used trail cams for anything. I am now over 50 years old and decided to give tree stand hunting a try, also something I had never tried before. I knew I had to have regular photos of good bulls to get me to sit in one place for that long. I've been a run-n-gun, spot and stalk hunter my whole life. Sitting for long periods of time was going to be a challenge!

I received a bonus from work and decided to put part of it toward some trail cams. I decided on the Bushnell Trophycams. Several standard and several HD. I really didn't know what I was doing at first. I put my cameras on wallows from previous years and a meadow with a creek running through it. I got no elk pics the first 1 1/2 months, but lots of deer, moose, and coyotes. I had my cameras out early June and didn't get my first elk pics until July 23.

Once I started getting elk pics, they increased steadily until by archery season (Aug. 30) I had pics of over 25 different bulls. My nephew harvested his bull between 10:30 and 11:00 AM on opening day. I took my bull on Sep. 11, two weeks into the season. Activity on trail cams is how I decide where I'm going to sit for the day.

Now to answer your questions:

1. I generally go 2-3 weeks between swapping memory cards during the summer months, and then weekly during archery season. I have my cameras in lock boxes bolted to trees and Master Python® cable locks through the cameras, lock boxes and around the trees.

2. I don’t use any kind of bait. I think bait is illegal in Idaho. I use natural elk wallows and seeps and springs with lots of elk sign. I let the elk show me where to place my cameras.

3. I like to swap out the memory cards (SD), quickly check them in the field with a point and shoot camera, and then look through them at home in full screen on my computer.

4. Definitely on wallows and springs/seeps, and the closer to the rut, the more activity and photos.

I haven’t figured out how to post photos on this site yet, but will post a few when I figure it out.

Good luck! Trail cams will open up a whole new world for you. Smokepoler63

ps. With many photos of over 25 different bulls, we only got 1 photo of my bull, and no photos of my nephews bull in 14 weeks checking trail cams. Makes me wonder how many bulls are really in the area.
EK000039.jpgEK000626.jpgIMG_1491.jpgIMG_1603s.jpg

Last edited: