Elk and pressure- Idaho Salmon B

I’ve hunted salmon 2014-2018 I shot a great buck in 2014 then every year after that the deer in that area seemed to take a dive we still shot bucks every year just small tho as for the elk I was lucky enough to shoot a bull every year I’ve hunted there 3 of the 4 were in the first 3 hours of opening morning after that it’s gets much harder to locate them due to pressure in the area your best bet is to be there a few days early and locate the elk you want to go after and be on them at first light opening morning
Well this will just add to that opening morning pressure, haha

Pwells10

WKR
I’m a resident and ended up snagging one of these tags as a second elk tag. We will be packing in a few nights and seeing if we can get above the crowd (obviously depends on weather)

good luck and tie one up for me lol

hope you guys bought a wolf tag as well!

UpNorth89

Lil-Rokslider
The pressure isn't bad at all once you get away from where people can take an atv...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hey there,

I apologize if I have missed this topic in an earlier thread. I was sure to try to read anything I could find on this topic before posting so hopefully I am not wasting peoples time! This seemed like an okay thread to post this question to but I am still learning the ropes! Thanks for any input

I finally was able to save enough money to do some out of state hunting and got a salmon B tag. I will be hunting for elk. I have never shot a branched antler bull elk (in Washington it is spike only) so am looking for wisdom on hunting this area. I have hunted a lot in Washington so I am not a newbie but feel like one when thinking of hunting Idaho. I am planning to backpack somewhere in to the salmon B region (I know its huge and consists of 21/21A/28/36B). Hopefully I will be in good enough shape to get 3-6 miles deep or so but I don't know what is necessary to have a somewhat decent chance of getting into elk. I would love to get away from some of the hunting pressure and have already spoke to the biologist for the salmon B region and e-scouted a ton. However, after all of this I still feel like I know next to nothing. I am planning to get out this summer to scout but would love it if someone that has hunted this area would be willing to PM me or just get me started!

Thanks for your time!

Hey there,

I apologize if I have missed this topic in an earlier thread. I was sure to try to read anything I could find on this topic before posting so hopefully I am not wasting peoples time! This seemed like an okay thread to post this question to but I am still learning the ropes! Thanks for any input

I finally was able to save enough money to do some out of state hunting and got a salmon B tag. I will be hunting for elk. I have never shot a branched antler bull elk (in Washington it is spike only) so am looking for wisdom on hunting this area. I have hunted a lot in Washington so I am not a newbie but feel like one when thinking of hunting Idaho. I am planning to backpack somewhere in to the salmon B region (I know its huge and consists of 21/21A/28/36B). Hopefully I will be in good enough shape to get 3-6 miles deep or so but I don't know what is necessary to have a somewhat decent chance of getting into elk. I would love to get away from some of the hunting pressure and have already spoke to the biologist for the salmon B region and e-scouted a ton. However, after all of this I still feel like I know next to nothing. I am planning to get out this summer to scout but would love it if someone that has hunted this area would be willing to PM me or just get me started!

Thanks for your time!

This hunt gets better the later in the season you wait. Weather helps, and bulls will get pushed over from Montana. It’s tough country and there’s plenty of pressure to deal with, but that’s par for the course for an OTC tag. Congrats and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This hunt gets better the later in the season you wait. Weather helps, and bulls will get pushed over from Montana. It’s tough country and there’s plenty of pressure to deal with, but that’s par for the course for an OTC tag. Congrats and good luck!

Thanks for the insight! That is helpful in deciding when to go since the season is decently long. When you say they get pushed by weather from Montana do you think they mainly are going into units 21/21A or do they push all the way into 28 and 36B too?

Thanks for the insight! That is helpful in deciding when to go since the season is decently long. When you say they get pushed by weather from Montana do you think they mainly are going into units 21/21A or do they push all the way into 28 and 36B too?

No problem. 21/21A