Elk arrow….

mattflint

FNG
Shooting a 47a28 black widow pma drawn just over 30”
Setting up the iron will glue in system and ended up tuning lighter than I figured.
X impacts are sitting at 465 grains.
I have the option of going to a deep impact at 520 grains but am really trying to convince myself that 465 will do it. I really like how tight my gaps are with this arrow. Just feel like I may be skirting “too light”
Maybe go to a standard width IW with the lighter arrow?
Idk, Id love to hear what y’all say on the subject

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
For many decades, a lot of critters were killed with an arrow with an 8-10 grains per pound of draw.

That said, I prefer 11-14 grains per pound of draw and use the same arrows on deer that I use on moose & bison.

OP
M

mattflint

FNG
Noise is pretty similar all across the board. I cant tell the difference between 9 and 11 gpp with this bow. I got limb savers on it and mufflers/puffs. Not longbow quiet but Im content.

Btaylor

WKR
Right at 10gpp so not exactly light. I wouldnt expect you to have any issues killing stuff with that rig.

Jdoc

Lil-Rokslider
As long as your shot is true and you have a sharp broadhead on there, anything over 450 should be just fine.

With that draw length you're probably shooting more like the equivalent of 55lbs at 28". I'm sure you'll be fine with either option but personally I'd opt for the heavier arrow for elk. You already have doubt in your head about the lighter arrow or you wouldn't have asked and confidence in your set up is critical.

OP
M

mattflint

FNG
I went for it.
I love this build. I may build a heavier arrow for the bob lee when it shows up next week, but this 9 gpp is pretty nice out of the widow

Jdoc

Lil-Rokslider
I went for it.
I love this build. I may build a heavier arrow for the bob lee when it shows up next week, but this 9 gpp is pretty nice out of the widow
If that arrow flies great, tuned well and you are happy with it the great. If you want more weight in the future i suggest fill the arrow with weed wacker cord. It will add weight without affecting the spine and give you an extra 50-75 grains. Thats all i did for my arrow for moose.