Elk broadhead

Kudu or kudu contour+ for me. If you're serious about sharpness, they're simple to sharpen and provide the best bang for your $, without going to a premium head like iron will or GrizzlyStik. Although I've had some bending on really hard impact to joints on elk, they've still 1. gotten the job done. 2. Cost is hard to beat, for the ease to sharpen (I have more faith in sharpening the same blade than replacing with replaceable blades, could just be me though). my 2 cents
I’ve killed 2 bull elk with kudu contour+ 125’s. Both broadside double lung shots.
Both pass throughs.
Both died within 50 yards.
However, Neither of them bled a drop. And that makes me nervous to keep using them just for a future scenario with a less than perfect shot where a longer tracking job is needed… what is your experience with blood trails and these single bevel 2 blades?

I’ve killed 2 bull elk with kudu contour+ 125’s. Both broadside double lung shots.
Both pass throughs.
Both died within 50 yards.
However, Neither of them bled a drop. And that makes me nervous to keep using them just for a future scenario with a less than perfect shot where a longer tracking job is needed… what is your experience with blood trails and these single bevel 2 blades?
I've only had a sample size of 1 with harvesting an animal with the 125 contour+ and it had pretty minor bleeding. But I attribute it to a high and slightly further back hit (high lung / liver area), which is why I had a minimal blood trail.

I have harvested a handful of animals with the regular kudu contours before the contour+ heads came out and have always had decent blood trails (never really needed since most of the time they expired within 30-50 yards of the shot).

I'll be rocking the kudu's again for this upcoming season. Hard to beat the price and ease of re-sharpening them after practicing with them.

What broadhead is everyone going to the elk woods with ?

I’m thinking g5 Montec 100gr. I like the toughness and being able to resharpen them.
Slick trick wicked tricks have always worked well for me. Plenty of good options out there!

Iron Will 125 solids or 125 SB buff. I can get these broad heads scary sharp. Last elk I shot it blew through and was sticking in a small tree on the other side… tried a bunch though, if I couldn’t have iron wills I’d go with exodus or annihilators

What broadhead is everyone going to the elk woods with ?

I’m thinking g5 Montec 100gr. I like the toughness and being able to resharpen them.
I've switched to a Grim Reaper Micro Hades Pro, 125 grain fixed blade for this season. Shoots where my field points are hitting at 50 yards. Haven't tried stretching it out beyond that, but I don't plan to release an arrow at a critter beyond that range.

Back