Elk Bullet for 7mm rem mag

If you really want a monster of a cartridge. Weatherby makes a load using hammer bullets. Expensive stuff, but it's like calling in an air strike on the animal lol

WKR
The 180 Scenar shoots great in various twists. Using H1000 or RL26, you can get 2900 fps or better out of a 24" barrel. My old 77 Ruger 9.5 twist actually shot them very well. On a few large bull elk, black bear and muley bucks, it performed very well. Just for something different.

150 to 160 grain bullets in the 7mm Remington Magnum will get the job done on an elk hunt

OP
T
Another bullet I’ve used out of factory loads is the 155 grain Federal Terminal Ascent with good luck on deer. Nobody has the bullets available for reloading though. Any word on if Federal will start offering them for reloading?

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for advice/opinions on bullet selection for elk, out of my Bergara B-14 Wilderness Ridge 7mm rem mag. Currently my #1 option is 160 grain Accubond because I know it shoots well out of my gun, and from my understanding, is a good bullet for elk. The twist rate on this rifle is 1:9.5. True or not, I’ve been told this slow of a twist rate may not stabilize long bullets very well. If this is true, I may be limited to light for caliber bullets if I want a copper bullet. Any suggestions? I know I’ll have to try the reloads in my gun to be sure, just want to narrow down my options.

Your number one bullet is fine for elk. I saw where you like over thinking things. I do not hunt elk with a rifle generally. I prefer bowhunting them they are giant turkeys lol. However, my best friend has killed 36 bulls give or take one or two with a 7MM Mag. He has always used the Barnes 160 gr TSX or 168 Gr LRX BT. He has never lost a bull and has shot them from 20 yards to 800 yards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
T
Your number one bullet is fine for elk. I saw where you like over thinking things. I do not hunt elk with a rifle generally. I prefer bowhunting them they are giant turkeys lol. However, my best friend has killed 36 bulls give or take one or two with a 7MM Mag. He has always used the Barnes 160 gr TSX or 168 Gr LRX BT. He has never lost a bull and has shot them from 20 yards to 800 yards.

I am primarily a bow hunter which is why I’m a little out of touch on some of this rifle/ammo stuff. This fall will be my first elk hunt with an otc tag so I figured rifle made the most sense.
It’s been interesting to see peoples opinions on lead bullets vs copper bullets. I’ve had reputable people recommend copper and other reputable people that had no interest in copper. Obviously they will all work.

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
I agree entirely. The reputable “hunting” bullets will all work if the shot is where it is supposed to be. Some perform differently, some are more accurate, and some are just sexier to certain people.

sdupontjr

WKR
The 180 Scenar shoots great in various twists. Using H1000 or RL26, you can get 2900 fps or better out of a 24" barrel. My old 77 Ruger 9.5 twist actually shot them very well. On a few large bull elk, black bear and muley bucks, it performed very well. Just for something different.
So the 180 scenars shot well with a 9.5 twist? I run the 155's in my 308, but I have an older Browning abolt 7 mag 24" that will shot the 162 eld match very well. Wasn't sure my 9.5 would stabilize the 180 scenars.

WKR
So the 180 scenars shot well with a 9.5 twist? I run the 155's in my 308, but I have an older Browning abolt 7 mag 24" that will shot the 162 eld match very well. Wasn't sure my 9.5 would stabilize the 180 scenars.
I'm pretty sure the old tang safety M77 had a 9.5 twist. I shoot at 5300 feet elevation and they shot sub moa in my Ruger factory barrel.

OP, where are you hunting that 500-600 yds will be the self imposed limit? Have you been in the area you want to hunt (since it will your first time with an OTC tag) to know you will need to shoot at that range?

Much gets said about the long range shot, I was of that mindset 30 years ago when I started with a 300 Win Mag, then experience kicked in after a number of years and knew I would never need to go past 400-500 yds. Still true after 30 years and dropping back to a 35 Whelen Ackley Improved with a 200 TTSX that still has 2100 fps at 500 yds. Longest shot has been 341 yds on an elk and it's a full freezer each time the gun barks.

Running the numbers on the 160 Partiton vs Accubond using 35 deg temp, 8300 elevation and 3050 fps mv, there is 90 yds difference in favor of the Accubond where velocity is still a bit over 2000 fps. 740 yds vs 830 yds. YMMV based on your different particulars.

Midway and Mid-South have 160 Partiton in stock, not so much the Accubond...

For a non-lead option, the 145 LRX is in stock at Midway and will exceed your needs as well.

OP
T
OP, where are you hunting that 500-600 yds will be the self imposed limit? Have you been in the area you want to hunt (since it will your first time with an OTC tag) to know you will need to shoot at that range?

Much gets said about the long range shot, I was of that mindset 30 years ago when I started with a 300 Win Mag, then experience kicked in after a number of years and knew I would never need to go past 400-500 yds. Still true after 30 years and dropping back to a 35 Whelen Ackley Improved with a 200 TTSX that still has 2100 fps at 500 yds. Longest shot has been 341 yds on an elk and it's a full freezer each time the gun barks.

Running the numbers on the 160 Partiton vs Accubond using 35 deg temp, 8300 elevation and 3050 fps mv, there is 90 yds difference in favor of the Accubond where velocity is still a bit over 2000 fps. 740 yds vs 830 yds. YMMV based on your different particulars.

Midway and Mid-South have 160 Partiton in stock, not so much the Accubond...

For a non-lead option, the 145 LRX is in stock at Midway and will exceed your needs as well.
This fall will be Colorado and honestly I hope not to shoot that far, but I have practiced at that range and know I can do it. A friend that I’m going with said that he had opportunities at that range prior years hunting this area. I’ve killed deer at ~350 yards but only paper beyond that. I guess this is just “planning for the worst” in terms of shooting out to 500-600 yards. In a perfect world, most of my shots will be far less than that. At home most shots are inside of 200 yards.

The_Whitetail_Kid

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a Berger fan so that’s my general recommendation but since you’ve got that 160 accubond shooting I’d have no hesitations about shooting it. Heard great things about it as a hunting bullet

buffybr

FNG
I've only killed one elk with my 7 mm RM, a cow that was bang flop dead with a 150 gr Accubond.

But I have used that rifle with 160 gr Accubonds on 3 caribou, a musk ox, and a half dozen African critters.

I hunted moose in Newfoundland with that combination, but didn't see a bull with big enough antlers, so just brought home tag soup.