Elk call setups

rspecht55

FNG
As someone who is new to elk hunting. What are your must haves for call? Secondly, any great videos to get me in the right direction on how to call? When to call? Other tidbits in this area. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
Elknut app is a good calling app. Elk101 or elk collective if you’re looking at calling along with other elk hunting strategies or all things elk hunting.

WCB

WKR
Same as mentioned above. Along with that google elk calling strategies and Youtube tons of free information along with podcasts.

IMO learn to cow call first.

One basic piece of advice on calling or elk hunting in general is...if you are calling you can make noise. In fact I think it is better if you do. Also while walking/locating elk don't be afraid to make noise just throw out a cow call or two here and there. For the most part elk when just moving around make A LOT of noise (breaking sticks, rocks rolling, etc.) But also be ready because elk can get silent quick with both vocals and movement.

On the opposite side of that try to avoid sneaking in super quiet into elk and then blasting away on the calls.

Laramie

WKR
Elknut App would be a great starting point. As far as setups, wind trumps all. Elk will try to get downwind of you 90+% of the time. Make it challenging for them to do so. Use natural terrain features like ridges, openings, draws, etc to try to funnel the elk to you without them winding you. It would be good to understand leeward winds so you can predict what wind will do on the backside of hills. Also look at thermals for the area you plan to hunt.

Brillo

FNG
Elk calling and approach: 1) Elknut app, By far. 2) The bugler on UTube, General elk hunting instruction: 1) Elk 101 Utube 2) Elk101 course. Lots of the course content is on Utube.

If I had to choose just 1 it would be my ElkNut Chuckler tube. I can make all my different reeds work through it and not limited to just 1.

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
Any recommendations for solo calibration set ups?
Elknut app has a section for solo hunting tips. Elk101 does as well, a little more in depth I think. I would assume the elk collective does as well. Elkbros on YouTube talks about solo hunting some too. Plenty of options out there.