Elk Caller Warning

Hey guys just a word of advice to those out there that are practicing you bugles in your truck or in the house or in the garage.
I have have been really working hard to improve my calling. Some of this has been done in a back bedroom, with doors closed, or in my truck driving or in my garage. Most the time , I have been wearing earing protection that of course shuts down tones if they get to high, but I do not always wear them. Yesterday morning my wife turned off her bedside fan and the room ceiling fan and she said " Here, I will shut these fans off, I know how much you love to hear the birds singing every morning". So guys, I could not hear my birds singing. I am pretty devastated.
I am hoping this comes back. I certainly won't be practicing calling for a while. Please be careful and take care of your hearing, especially when working on bugles. Nothing is worth losing the sounds of birds singing.

Last edited:

JaySalt

FNG
Shooting, being around loud equipment or anything with the potential to damage hearing is a must for me these days. Unfortunately, in my younger years I didn't take that as serious as I should have. Not being able to hear as well in the woods definitely adds another hurdle for me.

Sled

WKR
It's likely temporary. You'll get that back if you give it time. I still hear pretty decently considering what I'm exposed to. I have tinnitus every hour of the day and night. I've learned to deal with it but I now use hearing pro for everything and I shoot suppressed for that reason as well as limiting the concussive effects. Out a cheek pad on the gun too if you want to further limit your exposure.

Sled

WKR
I'm curious what you mean by this. Add/remove? Exposure to sound? And why? Thanks.
By adding a cheek pad you eliminate the vibrations that go bone to bone. You might be surprised how damaging that can be to the bones within the ear.

Last edited:

UncleBone

WKR
I hate those morning birds that start chirping out our bedroom window at 0400, and we sleep with an air cleaner that makes noise all night. But they're still ridiculously loud. Makes me want to figure out their sleep patterns and then keep them awake.
I used to live in an apartment in denver several years back. There was a courtyard in the middle right by my window, which i kept open at night because it got hot in there. I cannot tell you how many times I woke up at 430 am after working late, and went into the courtyard throwing rocks into the trees. Between them and my grandmas pet bird squawking, I have wanted to kill more songbirds than I have gamebirds.

gostovp

WKR
One advantage I’ve found to wearing foam ear plugs while practicing calling is I can actually hear/tell the slight tonal and pitch changes in my call better.

Hey guys just a word of advice to those out there that are practicing you bugles in your truck or in the house or in the garage.
I have have been really working hard to improve my calling. Some of this has been done in a back bedroom, with doors closed, or in my truck driving or in my garage. Most the time , I have been wearing earing protection that of course shuts down tones if they get to high, but I do not always wear them. Yesterday morning my wife turned off her bedside fan and the room ceiling fan and she said " Here, I will shut these fans off, I know how much you love to hear the birds singing every morning". So guys, I could not hear my birds singing. I am pretty devastated.
I am hoping this comes back. I certainly won't be practicing calling for a while. Please be careful and take care of your hearing, especially when working on bugles. Nothing is worth losing the sounds of birds singing.
I've done damage to my hearing practicing goose calling in my truck and even in the house. Hell, my poor lab can't even bare to hear it sometimes even though she loves to hunt.

EdP

WKR
If your initial exposure to a sound is at all uncomfortable, put on/in ear protection if you are going to be exposed for longer than it takes to don the protection. I hate the restroom hand dryers that are popping up all over and are so loud they hurt. Guaranteed they are damaging hearing.

Take care of you hearing when young! I was an idiot and drummed in my bedroom as a teen with no hearing protection. Now all my high frequency hearing is gone. Sucks trying to have a conversation in a restaurant and constantly asking someone to repeat themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk