ELK Decoys: Heads Up or Montana Decoy?

dotman

WKR
Heads up is all I use, can't beat the size and weight for a backpack hunt. First time using it I was almost ran over by a few cows so I would say it is effective :)

I use the HUD. Had a bull run up to me at 5 yards. He could not figure out where the rest of the cow was. I still remember that dumb look he gave right before my hunting partner shot him at 10 yards with his long bow. Position, position position, I like mine to look like they are walking from behind cover. I designed a pole for mine. It's worth the extra weight to me. Here is the first prototype not camo'ed. Stick it in hard ground and it will not rotate in the wind. It needs to be collapsible, light with no hassle set up. I have modified mine also.

lintond

WKR
Heads up decoy. Use the bow mount and it's even better!!

I would be concerned with the bow mount you would bring the bull in head on and would be less likely to get a suitable shot. This is assuming no frontal shots, as that is reserved for ideal conditions in my tool box. What's been your experience with this Justin?

Last edited:

Dapper

FNG
I have the heads up decoy. I backpack it, so I did away with the stem to flash it. My wife sewed three small string loops to the decoy, one on the nose, one on the ear, one on the back of the neck. I use the little rubber coated twist/ties to fasten it to the back of my pack with one or two of these loops. When I use it, I use these ties to fasten it to branches, trees etc. since we hunt it thicker areas. Works good and quick to set up while remaining lightweight.

Dan

groe

FNG
good topic. I think the bow mount is a great way to move in and out or skirt the herd...based on some feed back. From my experience with the decoy in the bow mount...when they commit...it's point blank so a quartering too or frontal is an option you may have to consider.

The loops are a good idea and something I have been considering making for the elk decoy. We have people run small pine branches up the pocket of the decoy as well.

Thanks for all the support and I am very happy people have had success and have found other ways to make it work for your personal application.

GR
Heads Up Decoy.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have experience with both companies. The MD can do well but I have found the HUD to be more beneficial with less weight and less effects from wind, faster to set up and gives me more versatility if I want to attach it to my bow. I too like to attach the HUD to an area that looks as if the body is concealed.

I generally hunt alone and when I find an area to call from I do just that. Attach it to a pine tree to appear as if the body is behind the tree and move ahead of the decoy to position myself between the bull and the decoy. It has worked well for me!

lintond

WKR
I generally hunt alone and when I find an area to call from I do just that. Attach it to a pine tree to appear as if the body is behind the tree and move ahead of the decoy to position myself between the bull and the decoy. It has worked well for me!

I think this is exactly what I am going to do. :D