Elk Decoys

Beendare

WKR
Satellite I called in between myself 25 yds broadside....and my buddy a 16 yd frontal on this bull with the Heads Up. A couple bulls were call shy, I could see little slivers of them 100yds out in thick woods...but then i saw this bull get sight of the decoy- bingo, he came on a string.
2016decoy800pix.jpg

Tim wasn't a huge decoy guy......but now when we are heading out, its funny, he always asks, "Do you have your decoy?"

Beendare

WKR
Heres a funny one;

So I had already tagged out and hiked in to call for a group of buddies on OTC ground. [bull i killed solo was decoyed in]

We spotted a cow bail off the end of a ridge about 1/2 mile away and I figured a bull was trailing. We dumped off ans set up the 3 Montanas i had on a flat facing that opposite ridge. Just about the time we set them up out pops a bull and I let out a loud bugle. Here he comes.

It takes him about 15 minutes to get to us as he had to cross an avalanche chute. He weaves through all 3 guys to withing 15' of the dekes when he finally figures something is not right and heads back across the steep chute.

We regroup and 2 of the guys [ASA pro 3 d shooters] come to full draw, then I stop the bull at 55 yds across the canyon- ping ping...both shoot...and the bull moves forward a little taking both arrows in the ham 6" apart.

right about the time I think this bull will dissapear in the woods for a tough tracking job the next day.....he tips over in sight. [arrows placed in holes for the pic]bull w arrows 800 pix.jpg

Tjwood7

FNG
Episode 322 of The Rich Outdoors Podcast with Sam Davis talks a lot about his success with an elk decoy, might be helpful in your decision.

SaHunter

FNG
Is a lightweight elk decoy worth the weight to pack in on a 7 day backcountry elk trip?
As mentioned useful so you can get a shot opportunity but some days dead weight. Carry a lite one and learn by trying several ways. Some writers talk about using them some don't so it would be more useful to find posts that decribe how they are used. In my case most elk have always come in so fast the decoy wasn't needed (movement or lack thereof most important) but younger bulls seemed more curious. Have partner move away/behind from you and hide decoy after first viewed behind something or on the ground and continue soft calling while moving away from you to draw the elk by you. Again other should post their use...