Perfect pack for elk

maine

FNG
What is the best pack for a~ 10 day backcountry elk hunt? I was tempted to buy the Kuiu 7000 LT because of the big sale right now but am skeptical after hearing all the mixed reviews

6.5x284

WKR
I’ve tried every pack and I’d look at an EXO K4 7200 or 5000 for your needs. Kifaru may have some new things coming soon as well. That’s a long elk trip on your back. I’ve sure you can get it out! May be better doing two 5 day trips with a reaupply at the truck in the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had a Kuiu, Kifaru and Exo in the past. Last year I upgraded my K3 to the new K4 5000 and absolutely love it. I did a 8 day sheep hunt with it this past season and had no issues. I think I was able to fit 11 days of food with all my gear in the 5000. I feel like anything bigger than that and you’ll start packing your fears.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
Can get a little pricey. But these four legged packs are the absolute best for that amount of time in the wilderness.
3cbaa0ec160ed247b5c07c2f7aaae28d.jpg

gman82001

WKR
Seeing your other threads you seem like this is a new venture. I’d say don’t attempt to plan a 10day in the whole time hunt. Plan a 3-4 day go in see what’s happening then if there’s nothing come out move spots and load another 3-4 days stuff. You’ll have way less weight and not stuck in one general spot for a full 10days. I’m really only a day hunter since we’re instate and move around day to day if needed but what I do know is a new person may get quickly overwhelmed trying to get 10days of shit packed in by themselves.

TheHammer

WKR
Exo k4 5000… I did 13 days this past elk season in September. Unless you know the area and have experience. 10 days is a very long time, this requires a bit of a refined gear list and complete confidence in yourself plus the gear. Doing 3-4day loops you will be able to cover more ground, learn a lot and keep some weight off your back. Good luck.

LightFoot

WKR
What is the best pack for a~ 10 day backcountry elk hunt? I was tempted to buy the Kuiu 7000 LT because of the big sale right now but am skeptical after hearing all the mixed reviews

There is no perfect pack for everyone. All the reputable companies make good packs. I have a SG, MR, Kuiu, and Badlands. They are all good. They are all a little different. I’ve heard great things about the Exo.

MR has 40% off last years Metcalf. That’s a good pack. (I have one in the classifieds if you want one with extras for about the same price) hard to pass up that price new, though.

>>>——JAKE——>

jchamwv

FNG
i've had my EXO K3 for a few years now and it is fantastic. I would imagine that with all of the testing and refining they did on the K4 it is somehow better.

OP
M

maine

FNG
Seeing your other threads you seem like this is a new venture. I’d say don’t attempt to plan a 10day in the whole time hunt. Plan a 3-4 day go in see what’s happening then if there’s nothing come out move spots and load another 3-4 days stuff. You’ll have way less weight and not stuck in one general spot for a full 10days. I’m really only a day hunter since we’re instate and move around day to day if needed but what I do know is a new person may get quickly overwhelmed trying to get 10days of shit packed in by themselves.
That’s good advice, I should build up to it. I’ve done extended camping trips but not out west and this is another animal

OP
M

maine

FNG
Can get a little pricey. But these four legged packs are the absolute best for that amount of time in the wilderness.
3cbaa0ec160ed247b5c07c2f7aaae28d.jpg

Would love to some day

wyogoat

WKR
This site seems to knock the Kuiu packs for some reason but I still think they’re the best. I run a Pro 3600 that’s a couple years old but have done lots of 5 day solo trips with it and it’s great. Carries out elk rears just fine on many occasions.
If you’re worried about size then go up. I also have the LT 5500 and a Pro 7200. I think they’re bombproof but try to get your hands on one and see what you think.
I tried to jump to the SG stuff and while it’s nice, I came back to Kuiu. I’ve used them since the first Canada made packs and never had an issue.

sivart

WKR
I'm one of the select few that cannot wear the K4 belt. My goto right now is the K3 4800, which covers day hunts to 5 day plus.

OP
M

maine

FNG
This site seems to knock the Kuiu packs for some reason but I still think they’re the best. I run a Pro 3600 that’s a couple years old but have done lots of 5 day solo trips with it and it’s great. Carries out elk rears just fine on many occasions.
If you’re worried about size then go up. I also have the LT 5500 and a Pro 7200. I think they’re bombproof but try to get your hands on one and see what you think.
I tried to jump to the SG stuff and while it’s nice, I came back to Kuiu. I’ve used them since the first Canada made packs and never had an issue.
I got scared away with all the Kuiu hate so I cancelled my order 😭 glad you like it though! I’m going to give SG a try, maybe get a used one

Backyard

WKR

Not to mention that their CS is great if you should have any problems.

Not to mention that their CS is great if you should have any problems.

Yeah, I had one of the original pro series packs that had the carbon fiber stay problem. Snapped a stay during an elk hunt in CO. Pack still worked fine for the rest of the trip. Called them up when I got back and they sent me a brand new Icon Pro as they had redesigned it. Much better pack than the first Gen. Better materials and redesigned frame Packed my little buck out this year just fine. That said, I didn't shop around much. I do like the belts on some of the others but this one is plenty comfortable for me.

packout1.jpg

Auggie

FNG
Just get one fitted properly. Spoiler alert: the chubby guy at scheels is not a backpack fitting expert. Not sure why there isn't much love for the stone glacier lineup, but I love mine. Hauls lots of weight very well once you adjust it. Also, remember that hauling meat out becomes a problem when you're in super deep. 10 days without going super deep is a bit much. I'd follow the above advice and hunt 2-3 days at a time. Any pack can do that as long as it fits.

Stone glacier evo 6400 krux frame for the win. Front shoulder,hindquarter, back straps and head…

On my 8th season with this pack.

Stone Glacier has sewn this pack a few times. I have broken the carbon stays, broken buckles and they have warrantied everything for me.

The custom service is top notch!

But to each his own. Good luck in the search.

Attachments

• IMG_0754.jpeg
    IMG_0754.jpeg
    396 KB · Views: 67