elk decoys

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
I’m planning to take an archery elk trip this spring and was looking for information and opinions on decoys? anything helps, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used Montana Decoys twice. Both times were during the rut. Both times we called in the elk and had 3-5 bulls coming up the hill toward us.

One of the two times I had 5 small bulls coming up the hill toward me, then a big old boar grizzly came through the basin...turns out elk love the decoys and hate the bears...elk were gone in seconds. But the decoys work great.

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
do you think a homemade decoy would be possible or successful? i’m a college student looking to save money but i don’t want to lower my success because of this? Thanks for the opinion guys!

I’m going to vote against the homemade option unless you have a plotter and can possibly laminate. Even in that case I’m voting against it because it’ll be shiny.

I think a cow silhouette is maybe $120?! I know that’s a lot for a starving college kid. It may just be one weekend not going out to the bars though!

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
I’m going to vote against the homemade option unless you have a plotter and can possibly laminate. Even in that case I’m voting against it because it’ll be shiny.

I think a cow silhouette is maybe $120?! I know that’s a lot for a starving college kid. It may just be one weekend not going out to the bars though!

Thanks for the input, i think i’ll look into montana decoys!

Gila

WKR
do you think a homemade decoy would be possible or successful? i’m a college student looking to save money but i don’t want to lower my success because of this? Thanks for the opinion guys!

Get some thinner plywood or plastic. Cutout and paint. Put stakes on it and handles on the inside. Walk and stand behind it. You can cut it in sections and put hinges on it to fold it up. Make it larger than life for two people. I don't know what the materials would cost but I would think alot cheaper than buying a decoy. Caveat: I have not tried it but guys hunting my fields for snow geese use cow decoys like that and move right in on feeding geese.

ElkNut1

WKR
If you're planning on hunting open country elk then I might consider a Decoy if I was Solo. (most likely still wouldn't see the need) If your plan is to hunt Dark Timber then a Decoy for the most part would not be part of my plan. Good cover & wind with a good setup where elk Must go into search mode looking for you would trump decoy use every time for me. SETUP IS KEY!!!

ElkNut

If you're planning on hunting open country elk then I might consider a Decoy if I was Solo. (most likely still wouldn't see the need) If your plan is to hunt Dark Timber then a Decoy for the most part would not be part of my plan. Good cover & wind with a good setup where elk Must go into search mode looking for you would trump decoy use every time for me. SETUP IS KEY!!!

ElkNut

This guy knows! 100%

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
thanks for the advice, how you you go about setting up correctly? well most likely be in timber in colorado

WyoWapiti

FNG
Decoys are great, I have both Montana decoy and Heads-up decoys. Solo archery I will go with the lighter easier handling Heads-up decoy.

SteepandDeep

Lil-Rokslider

If you haven’t heard of them, check out Camofire. They typically have decoys on their site once a week