Elk Ecology Resources?

Saml_Stmb

FNG
Hi all,

First post for me. I'm looking to compile some reading material on Elk Ecology. I really want to pick up Jack Thomas's book, but I'm not willing to pay $800 for it yet! So for now, what do you recommend for some good, solid, research based reading material on elk habitat, behaviours, etc.?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

You’re tempting me to put my book up for sale. North American Elk Ecology and Management. Someone make me an offer I can’t refuse! ;)

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all,

First post for me. I'm looking to compile some reading material on Elk Ecology. I really want to pick up Jack Thomas's book, but I'm not willing to pay $800 for it yet! So for now, what do you recommend for some good, solid, research based reading material on elk habitat, behaviours, etc.?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
I’ll sell you my copy for $799

OP
Saml_Stmb

Saml_Stmb

FNG
OP
Saml_Stmb

Saml_Stmb

FNG
Any other recommendations? I'd like to compile a list of material. So far I have two books (one of which I'm going to pass on unless I can get it for less than $799; lol!).

Any research articles, etc.?

Thanks!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

OP
Saml_Stmb

Saml_Stmb

FNG
What are you hoping to achieve?

ElkNut
@ElkNut1,

I'm trying to get better at finding elk in the woods.

Plus I'm a bit of a nerd and enjoy that kind of reading.

Cheers!

I don't know your background, and the primary literature can be difficult to navigate for some. But if you are up for it, Google Scholar is your friend. There are likely to be heavy heavy stats and modeling in these papers, but you can usually get the main points from Abstracts and the Discussion sections.

Many research articles are behind a paywall--you need a university or similar affiliation to access them. But, ecologists tend to be a liberal group that likes free knowledge, and you can usually find a PDF of any paper. When you find a title you like, look for the link "All X versions" and click that. If a PDF is available on a Prof's website or elsewhere, you should be able to access it. If you find something that you are interested in, but you can't find access to it, send me a message. I should have access to everything.

That being said, @ElkNut1 has books and videos that are fantastic.

OP
Saml_Stmb

Saml_Stmb

FNG
I don't know your background, and the primary literature can be difficult to navigate for some. But if you are up for it, Google Scholar is your friend. There are likely to be heavy heavy stats and modeling in these papers, but you can usually get the main points from Abstracts and the Discussion sections.

Many research articles are behind a paywall--you need a university or similar affiliation to access them. But, ecologists tend to be a liberal group that likes free knowledge, and you can usually find a PDF of any paper. When you find a title you like, look for the link "All X versions" and click that. If a PDF is available on a Prof's website or elsewhere, you should be able to access it. If you find something that you are interested in, but you can't find access to it, send me a message. I should have access to everything.

@freebird134,

Excellent recommendation! I'm a mechanical engineer, so I'm accustomed to dredging through the weeds to get to the important points.

Do you have a list compiled that I could start with? No need to reinvent the wheel I suppose...

OP
Saml_Stmb

Saml_Stmb

FNG
Here is tonight's reading material:

Thanks again for the tips on using Google Scholar! Super helpful.

Cheers!

OP
Saml_Stmb

Saml_Stmb

FNG

Just looked at @ElkNut1 s website. Any recommendation for where to start with your material, @ElkNut1? I hunted eastern Oregon last year (and managed to get a bull called in!) and have a feeling that the Rocky Mountain variety you have in your neck of the woods are probably pretty similar to our stock on the eastern side of the Oregon:) Wyoming transplants, perhaps?

That said, I live in western Oregon, so I'd like to get more familiar with Rosie's as well.

Last year was my first year hunting, BTW, so thanks for entertaining my ignorant questions.