Elk elevation

Tcatt

FNG
Man it’s finally here!! I’m leaving Sept 16th for my first elk hunt in CO for 10 days!! I’m so pumped I can’t wait!!!! What elevation do you guys think the elk will be hanging out in that time frame? Do you think they will be rutting pretty hard by that time? Any last minute advice would be greatly appreciated!! I’ve been researching since last January and it’s finally here! Thanks I’m advance!

Tahoe1305

WKR
Saw some this weekend at 10k. I personally expect rut to be later in the month early Oct in my area based on what I saw last year. But who knows!

DanimalW

WKR
If you can glass where you hunt, get high and look for them. Too many variables can dictate where they are.

Laramie

WKR
Man it’s finally here!! I’m leaving Sept 16th for my first elk hunt in CO for 10 days!! I’m so pumped I can’t wait!!!! What elevation do you guys think the elk will be hanging out in that time frame? Do you think they will be rutting pretty hard by that time? Any last minute advice would be greatly appreciated!! I’ve been researching since last January and it’s finally here! Thanks I’m advance!
Glad you are excited- that is good!

Elk will be at virtually all elevations through their habitat by mid-month. Most will have moved down some but we still find elk above tree line then as well. Be mobile and don't get married to a spot/elevation if it isn't producing.

Last minute advice- hunt hard but not so hard you forget to enjoy the experience. Not everyone will kill an elk but everyone who hunts them has the opportunity to enjoy it if they let themselves.

Gerbdog

WKR
Got some reports from buddies in NM that theyre seeing / taking bulls that are damn near in full velvet still... pretty freaking cool.

Seen elk high and low this year so far... doesnt seem to be a rhyme or particular elevation theyre at

Hnthrdr

WKR
Rut was last weekend of sept for me last year, this year big bulls had harems on Aug 28th on trail cam and bugles all weekend in one part of the state… other parts who knows. I think areas with heavy moisture aka great feed will have an earlier rut this year based on cows hitting their optimal BFP to begin ovulation. I don’t look at it as one peak though, there will be ebbs and flows as different cows cycle and get the bulls fired up. Generally there is a “peak” but you could have several “peaks”

Elevation is super dependent, seen bulls at alpine and at 8.5k last weekend all doing it.

Good luck and enjoy Co

Poser

WKR
Elk are at all kinds of elevations across the state. I’ve seen them as high as 13k in mid October and as low as 6,000 in September.

The rut timing in your area is exactly the same year after year, though you may perceive it differently depending on conditions.

Poser

WKR
Elk are at all kinds of elevations across the state. I’ve seen them as high as 13k in mid October and as low as 6,000 in September.

The rut timing in your area is exactly the same year after year, though you may perceive it differently depending on conditions.

In my experience, they're not going to spend as much time above timberline once they get some pressure. I would start just below timberline and go from there. In that instance, you'll still get to look up and rule out the country above you, or drop to bugles and water.

dusky

FNG
I'd say above treeline unless the food there is already declining or the pressure pushes them out. Areas vary. Where I hunt in mid/northern Colorado, mid September usually many of them above treeline. But we also have resident herds that live at 8,000' year round.

Falro

FNG
I’ve killed all my elk from 8500-10,500 but feed is what I would foucus on

gman82001

WKR

You can say that again

rclouse79

WKR
I am in a different location, but I ran into elk around 7500 the first two days and killed one at 7900 the third day.

ckleeves

WKR
There is no magic elevation elk congregate into at certain times of the year. If all the elk were in a narrow band at 10k on sep 20th and all you had to do was highlight 9800-10200 on your map to find them you think success rates would be 10%?

You can find them at 7000 in the morning and drive an hour and find different elk at 12000 that evening.

OP
Tcatt

Tcatt

FNG
Thanks guys for all the insight, I’m looking forward to hunting hard and enjoying the experience!!

Jaquomo

WKR
I've called in bulls from 10K down to 8200' in the past week. Habitat and pressure are the critical factors. Not much talking where I am, some, but bulls coming in and some early am answers to locates. When you get here it should be great from the moon perspective. Don't worry about elevation. Hunt the habitat and find the.elk there.