Elk experiences with 6.5 PRC and 156 EOL

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
I am switching back to 147 Eldm's after the bull I killed this year with the 156 bergers out of my PRC. I shot the bull at 475, hit the bull center of mass about 5" back from the crease. exit was center of mass in the crease. so about as good as shot as you could get. I am pretty confident the the bullet did not open and penciled straight through. It was right at first light and the bull was with a group of 5 raghorns. after i shot they mixed all together so i did not feel comfortable taking a follow up shot since i did not want to shoot the wrong elk. the elk I kill ran off like nothing happen, no blood. It wasn't till we looped back and around a took another pass that we found the elk 400 yards from where i shot it. When i skinned the bull you could see on the onside that i dead centered a rib and the was a perfect 6.5mm hole in the rib. and did not even break the rib. The onsite lung had a perfect 6.5mm hole through it. the bullet maybe opened a little or tumbled, because there was a little more trauma on the offside lung, but not much considering the shot.

i've heard great things about the 156's, so not sure if this is a one off incident, but i have lost confidence in them.

Clrems77

WKR
I switched from a 300wm to a 6.5 PRC shooting the 156 about 4 years ago. I have killed two bulls and two cows between 150-480 yards. Every elk was taken with a single shot to the vitals and dropped within 25 yards.

I swapped from a 300wm due to recoil, ballistics, and energy from both being very similar at 400 yards and the PRC actually outperforming the 300wm as it got further out.

There’s tons of research being done with this article being one with a decent comparison.

As with any cartridge, rifle platform etc,,, the proof is in the pudding and this round has out performed anything else I’ve used in the field with very manageable recoil. I won’t look back!

Syncerus1

FNG
Congrats on the positive feedback for the 6.5 PRC and it's lethality on elk. Just for laughs I think it's hilarious that everyone missies the point that shot placement is always key. I was on a UT elk hunt and heard horror stories regarding the 300 PRC with Berger 215's point on shoulder shots around 900 yard ranges. Watched a couple of videos of the same shots. Flattened the elk, only to have them get up and run off. Never recovered. Bullet blew up and obviously didn't penetrate. Point is SHOT placement.