Elk Hunting clothing that won't break the bank

Hello. This is my first post here but long time lurker, especially recently. Next year, at the ripe old age of 42, I'm going to elk hunt for the first time. I'm a whitetail guy from PA and also hunt the midwest each fall for the last ten years. Elk is my bucket list animal to hunt, bar none. I have a cousin who hunts Colorado every year for the last 25 or so and is what I would consider a very good elk hunter. So I feel like I'm going to be learning from a great teacher as I won't know what the heck I'm doing out there. I am going to be meeting with him a ton to talk gear, etc., but I'm antsy already and figured I'd open a conversation with you guys, who hunt elk all the time.

My plan was to come in september and archery hunt as thats my passion and bread and butter. My cousin told me he wanted to bring out for early October rifle instead as he said I'd have a far better chance and being my first time, I'll have enough to worry about in the mountains. lol. I think I kind of understand the clothing needed for September, but I'm a little concerned about what to have for October. I am not a cheap guy, and I want good clothing/gear for this. I'm a huge Sitka guy for whitetails. But being my first time Elk hunting and not knowing how often I will do this, I'm a bit reluctant to shell out 1K for Sitka clothing on my first go. If I get the "bug" and decide hunt them all the time, thats a different story.

Can anyone give me some guidance on good quality clothing that isn't as expensive? I know boots is a big expense and will spend on them, but I'm just trying to find decent clothing for this hunt and then go from there. Its also my understanding to plan for 80 degrees to 10 degrees... lol.

Thanks guys.

Geewhiz

WKR
You don't necessarily need to spend a huge amount to still be in pretty good shape. Get a pair of softshell pants, and a long sleeve 200+/- weight merino shirt and a pair of gaitors. That setup with a good pair of boots will get you a long way. Keep in mind you get what you pay for.

The vast majority of days I wear kuiu guide or attack pants and a first lite 210 merino shirt.

There isn't any reason you cant wear that same outfit for a week or more. Plus it saves on weight if you don't have a change of clothes. haha

Just my opinion, but you've come to the right place for advice on gear.

I have found people are much too varied for me to give advice on specific clothing. I wear thermal layer, under armor layer, light jacket layer through November up to 10,500’-heavy coat in pack as backup. Not everyone is the same. The key is layers, flexibility and knowing when to wear them. Don’t put it all on and hike up 800’ elevation. Know what to carry and what to wear and when. A couple points of reference, my heavy jacket is carhart not Sitka. My camo doesn’t match for any season because I buy it clearance and elk don’t care.

layers apply to feet also. Socks are just as important as boots. If I spend money on something it’s boots.
Early October is tough-could be 75 and clear or 20 and snow.

OP
M
Thanks for the quick reply. Coming from whitetails where you have to dress for sitting for 14 hours on a stand in 20 degree weather, to hiking mountains and such out west, its really confusing at first!

Geewhiz

WKR
I agree with Next Ridge.

Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to be wearing $1500 in name brand camo with a $950 pack on your back and to kill an elk.

Your success is based much more on the effort you exert, rather than the clothes you wear.

What would you wear, that you already own, if you were not going to buy anything?

Kuiu attack pants and kennetrek socks are pretty hard to beat.

Elk97

WKR
I've bought most of my stuff here or on other forums used. Sitka core light weight hoody, First Lite corrugate pants, Sitka 90% jacket, some down jacket, gaiters. That's what I wear most Sept in MT at 7-9000'. Add a few warmer pieces and some rain gear and you're set. Get good boots.

Thanks for the quick reply. Coming from whitetails where you have to dress for sitting for 14 hours on a stand in 20 degree weather, to hiking mountains and such out west, its really confusing at first!
Having done my first elk hunt last year in September I was told to be prepared for temps that could get down to a low of 20 and a high of 80. I bought many things in clearance sections and camo fire. Starting with my upper layers I bought a sitka ss lightweight T $25, next was a long sleeve UA ridge reaper camo shirt $25, then a UA ridge reaper fleece hoody $40, an Eddie Bauer down jacket $79 that I already had and finally a Marmot Precip rain jacket $95.

Most days I was in either the Sitka T shirt and/or the long sleeve UA t shirt for most of the day. If I needed these layers would keep me warm all together down into the single digits in a whitetail tree stand. Walking I would be hot with all of those layers at zero degrees.

For pants I wore a pair of Eddie Bauer Guide Chino's they cost less than $50 and that was all I needed since it never got below 37 and most days it got between 88-91 for the highs. I had in my pack a light weight pair of thermal underpants that I already had.

For my feet I had a pair of Cabela's/Meindl Denali boots $229 and two pairs of Darn Tough Full cushion sock $30 each.

In October and depending on how hot you run I would probably bring a heavier pair of thermal underpants and a merino Black Ovis hoody base layer.

Last edited:

Forest

WKR
I love my sitka stuff as much as anyone. But all the clothes I've gotten from black ovis have been a much better value. Especially with the sales they have.
I also can't imagine a lot of your whitetail gear won't crossover.
Its all about layers, a breathable lightweight puffy is almost always with me or on me during rifle hunts. If there's something you would like to splurge on thatd be my pick.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely don’t go spend $1000 on brand name stuff. I bought a First Lite Merino shirt on clearance. Other than that, I used some “poly pro” layers that I had form the military, wrangler outdoor pants from Walmart, a down jacket that I got on clearance, and some other fleece layers that I already had. If you are there in rifle season, wearing orange, camo is completely irrelevant anyway. The puffy is the main thing that makes a big difference to me. Very lightweight and packable, easy to just pull out and throw on when you stop moving.
Will you be backpacking way in, or doing day hunts from your truck? That will determine how much of the lighter weight more expensive stuff you need. If you are hunting from the truck, bring the jeans and Carhartt jacket. Not as critical to have all the latest lightweight and high tech stuff if you just day hunt and have a comfy camp.

MTJake

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with everything written. For rifle hunting, I use Marmot Rogue pants I bought for $48 a pair. Outdoor Research Crocodile Expedition Gaiters are my go to, and layer from there. www.camofire.com is a great place to get Black Ovis merino gear - I like all their stuff except the boxers, those seem to fit weird. Also, www.theclymb.com is a good place to get good wool and socks for a good price. Marmot Precip rain jacket is light and packs in its own pocket. Get a good puffy jacket and you will be set. The other piece of gear that my midwest friends who come hunt here really like is a good pair of trekking poles. I have a pair of black diamonds that I really like. When you are acclimating to altitude, they make walking uphill or downhill a lot easier. Good luck!

Swede

WKR
You really do not need camo for elk hunting. Good quality clothing will last many seasons. I have some camo I got from Cabelas, but I also sort through the clothing racks at Good Will for Marino wool. If I find other items that are quality and fit well, I will buy them there too. I have found a few items at garage sales.
When my wife saw the Marino wool sweaters I found at Good Will, she was excited until I told her they were not for church. :)

Hello. This is my first post here but long time lurker, especially recently. Next year, at the ripe old age of 42, I'm going to elk hunt for the first time. I'm a whitetail guy from PA and also hunt the midwest each fall for the last ten years. Elk is my bucket list animal to hunt, bar none. I have a cousin who hunts Colorado every year for the last 25 or so and is what I would consider a very good elk hunter. So I feel like I'm going to be learning from a great teacher as I won't know what the heck I'm doing out there. I am going to be meeting with him a ton to talk gear, etc., but I'm antsy already and figured I'd open a conversation with you guys, who hunt elk all the time.

My plan was to come in september and archery hunt as thats my passion and bread and butter. My cousin told me he wanted to bring out for early October rifle instead as he said I'd have a far better chance and being my first time, I'll have enough to worry about in the mountains. lol. I think I kind of understand the clothing needed for September, but I'm a little concerned about what to have for October. I am not a cheap guy, and I want good clothing/gear for this. I'm a huge Sitka guy for whitetails. But being my first time Elk hunting and not knowing how often I will do this, I'm a bit reluctant to shell out 1K for Sitka clothing on my first go. If I get the "bug" and decide hunt them all the time, thats a different story.

Can anyone give me some guidance on good quality clothing that isn't as expensive? I know boots is a big expense and will spend on them, but I'm just trying to find decent clothing for this hunt and then go from there. Its also my understanding to plan for 80 degrees to 10 degrees... lol.

Thanks guys.

If you're going to be out in October for rifle, I wouldn't worry about camo clothing. Look for clearance sales on outdoor gear companies that have been around forever and make high quality gear... Patagonia, Arc'teryx, outdoor research, etc.

I'd get a pair of merino long underwear, medium weight pants ( I wear fjallraven vidda pros that I got very cheap from Aug to Dec), some type of dry shell pant, and a puffy pants if you think you'll be glassing. I just got a really nice pair of under armour puffy pants for $80+taxshipping on eBay.

Then do the same thing with the upper, except you could probably wear whatever jacket you use for whitetail.

Gaiters may be nice in case of snow. Outdoor research croc, or Kuiu Yukon will probably last you forever.

Anyway, I don't think you need to go crazy on gear and clothing and it doesn't need to be camo if you're not planning to get within 10 yards for a shot. The key is modularity for being able to sit and hike, and checking for sales on outdoor companies' goods, even better if it's a good hunting brand.

Trekking poles!!! Black diamond makes decent ones that collapse into 3 segments. And plenty of merino socks.

I was in your exact boots last year, and I’m also 42! Most of my hunting has been in stands in TX.

I bought all my gear on sale or second hand from forums. Even my boots were from the REI used gear site. I pieced a kit together from Kuiu, First Lite, Lowa, Ice Breaker, Sitka, and Black Ovis.

And none of it matches, brand and/or camo - haha.

Merino base layers and then layer up from there. Of all the things I have, I love my Kuiu attack pants the most.

You have time to be patient and flexible for when things pop up in the classified section. Feel free to PM me for my number and we can talk over the phone if you’d like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only thing that I’ve found is that the premium hunting brands will get you lighter weight gear, but premium backpacking gear will get you the same type stuff. Whitetail gear is usually really warm but heavier than you will need moving around. I went out my first time last year from Virginia and took some Eddie Bauer pants, rei clearance rack down jacket and base layers I already had from work. I’m going again in a few weeks and the only things I’ve added are a pair of UA down pants for glassing and I’m taking a Sitka Traverse jacket that was a gift. I work outside every day and I found out that Montana woods aren’t much different than Virginia woods except different animals and more potential temperature swings. And Rifle won’t need any camo so just buy stuff earth toned that you can wear when you aren’t hunting too

wapitibob

WKR
If you’re hunting from a truck camp you can get away with almost anything as long as you can change at the end of the day and or dry stuff. Jeans a flannel works just fine.

I've killed more Bulls wearing a pair of Lee 88's and a Bob Fratzke camo sweater than I ever will wearing Sitka. That said, the new stuff they're putting out now is legit and awful nice.

As far as a rifle hunt goes I wouldn’t be so concerned with spending the money and buyin 17 layers from sitka or kuiu...it’ll take a lot of years before the number of elk killed in kuiu equal the number of elk killed with a rifle in carhartts and jeans

bozeman

WKR
Eddie Bauer, Outdoor Research, Wrangler Mountain pants........you can thank me later....and yes, I have a TON of Sitka gear. Its nice to have and the quality is top notch, but I am thankful/blessed to be able to afford it. However, I had no issue hunting in Eddie Bauer, OR and Wrangler.....best of luck to you! Save the $$ and spend the $$ on your boots and pack.