Elk Hunting Dilemma - Time Constraints

I was planning to head out for OTC archery in CO this year but due to my crazy work schedule and busy family life, this year I only have 3 days I can elk hunt. My question for the brain trust of Rokslide is is it worth heading out for only 3 days of hunting? I know any day in the mountains is a good day but I am having a hard time justifying the $760 license costs for 3 days in the field. I do have another hunt scheduled in WY for October so I will still get my mountain fix. What say you?

BDRam16

WKR
I’d stay home and spend the time with the fam. Earn some extra points with the wife by staying home. Might need to cash those in later lol.

Maverick1

WKR
I was planning to head out for OTC archery in CO this year but due to my crazy work schedule and busy family life, this year I only have 3 days I can elk hunt. My question for the brain trust of Rokslide is is it worth heading out for only 3 days of hunting? I know any day in the mountains is a good day but I am having a hard time justifying the $760 license costs for 3 days in the field. I do have another hunt scheduled in WY for October so I will still get my mountain fix. What say you?
It depends. (But, after thinking it through, I don't think three days is enough time. Is it enough time to kill an elk? It sure is! I have done it several times.)

But where you run into issues is the logistics:
  1. What happens if you shoot an elk on the first day? (Is two days enough time to pack it out?)
  2. What happens if you shoot an elk on the second day?
  3. The third day? (How many days do you have to pack it out then?)
If your three day scenario leaves enough time to pack out the elk, I would go hunting. If not, it really comes down to a one or two day hunt, which might feel too rushed and take away from the enjoyment of the hunt.

If you are going with other people (that can pack the elk out for you?) and hunting closer to a road (less distance to pack it out) - then maybe you can make it work. Maybe not!

OP
T
I would be hunting a unit I hunted once last year. So I have some knowledge of the area but I feel it would still be tough to locate them given the short time frame. I have also tossed around the idea of going out to do some fly-fishing and elk scouting for the following season.

I would be flying out so my time frame would not be too flexible unless I killed an elk and decided to drive it back but that would be hard since I have to be back home for work/family stuff. I have a buddy that will be in the same unit but hunting separately. Worse case he could help me pack meat but I'd hate to pull him away from his hunt.

I like to hunt elk as much as anyone, but I would stay home, or at least do something else. Take those days and do more hunting or fishing locally, or even knock out some home projects. Or as you mentioned scout and/or fish.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've done 1-day elk hunts where I had to drive 5 hours to get there for first light, hunt all day, and then drive 5 hours back home again that night. I guess it just depends on whether it's worth it to you.

This is a personal thing, but personally I wouldn't do this one. I think you'd be better off spending the 3 days scouting for your Oct trip for no extra tag fee.

rogerthat

FNG
If you were a resident maybe but nonresident flying in, no way. Too many things to go wrong and no time to recover

Donjuan

WKR
I did this last year (only had 3 days to hunt) and didn't give myself time to acclimate and was worn out already from the trip. I was stressed about hustling to get back home for work. I would not do it again. YMMV

Unless you have some solid intel on location, i would stay home.

This. Back in 2018 or so my brother in-law came in from out of state and only had opening weekend during 2nd rifle season. I scouted my ass off for him pre-season and found a few 6x6 bulls in a remote rugged canyon so I called him and told him to get the tag and make the drive. We got in there and spike camped, first day he had a shot opportunity at 450 yards which was too far for him so he passed. Second day one of the bulls showed up in the middle of the day and came within 200 yards but never presented a shot. That was ball game and I felt terrible that he spent the money and we couldn't get it done. We hiked out and then 2 days later I went back in and killed one. That made me feel even worse in a way. 😅

So even with good Intel it didn't happen. Archery season you can't really locate elk in the same manner as those late post rut hunts so I would think it would be even more difficult.

OP
T
Thanks. Everyone confirmed what I was thinking. I want to try to make the case for going elk hunting but like everyone said its just too short of a time for it to make sense. Now I am thinking of just doing a scouting trip combined with some fly fishing or just sucking it up and getting some projects done around the house. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
Bye-bye $760 is what I would say.

Considering not bowhunting elk in September at all is pure sacrilege.

I'd literally rather get bit by a rattlesnake, fight 1989 Mike Tyson or be divorced than miss September...