Elk hunting in swimming trunks. Need help!

Headed up to southern Colorado Thursday for an elk hunt with me and my wife on some private. This is the current forecast for the area…. Damn. Gonna be a tough hunt. Two hunters are up there now and aren’t hearing anything. Haven’t seen anything. And been sitting water for 6 days in a row. Got an elk on cam at night. No idea what I’m gonna do. We hunt at 8500 foot of elevation. By now we usually have elk all around us with them hitting water regularly. I guess between the heat and a pack of yotes that moved in and yelped all night and during the middle of the day for 3 days the elk are moved out or just not moving much or not using our holes. Debating going higher up. It’s unit 85 so there isn’t much public up there. Trying hard to get my wife on an elk bc this is her last year to stick one before the family starts to grow.

And suggestions or recommendations on what a man is to do with this forecast???

0da5175e17818ee9d837b04a453e4bad.jpg

28e26181ba05d6b99d3445bac7a04c76.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeknelk

WKR
I expect it to be hot during archery elk. Mid 80s isn't too bad at all. Not my favorite but I prefer it over a big early snowstorm or tons of rain. Had decent hunting in the Missouri breaks on days it hit 105. It sucked but we saw elk on the move early mornings. Cover ground at night and listen, often you can find the elk that way, and they are talking at night and day more than you probably think. But they may not be as excited or being quite as loud .

OP
ddavis_1313
I expect it to be hot during archery elk. Mid 80s isn't too bad at all. Not my favorite but I prefer it over a big early snowstorm or tons of rain. Had decent hunting in the Missouri breaks on days it hit 105. It sucked but we saw elk on the move early mornings. Cover ground at night and listen, often you can find the elk that way, and they are talking at night and day more than you probably think. But they may not be as excited or being quite as loud .

Great tip! Thanks!

Scoot

WKR
I agree with listening for them at night.. If you are hearing nothing for a couple nights in a row then I would look higher (or at least elsewhere).

nphunter

WKR
Man I would love some of that cold weather here in NE Oregon. It was in the 90's this last weekend and we sweated our rear ends off. We had bulls bugling every day, took my 12yr old and we covered 7.5 miles and got into 4 different bugling bulls, one was a nice bull with a bunch of cows running around glunking at them. My son was pretty stoked.
We did sit in a tree stand over water for about 6 hours one day and I can't even tell you how many times I thought about jumping into the ground head first I was so bored. Climbed down out of the tree and went and burned up some boot leather and got into some elk that day as well.
Elk could care less about coyotes, they are everywhere and don't bother elk one at all from what I've seen.

OP
ddavis_1313
Man I would love some of that cold weather here in NE Oregon. It was in the 90's this last weekend and we sweated our rear ends off. We had bulls bugling every day, took my 12yr old and we covered 7.5 miles and got into 4 different bugling bulls, one was a nice bull with a bunch of cows running around glunking at them. My son was pretty stoked.
We did sit in a tree stand over water for about 6 hours one day and I can't even tell you how many times I thought about jumping into the ground head first I was so bored. Climbed down out of the tree and went and burned up some boot leather and got into some elk that day as well.
Elk could care less about coyotes, they are everywhere and don't bother elk one at all from what I've seen.

We will hit our place for a day or so, if we can’t find them or hear them, I’m pulling out and headed elsewhere for a few days. We have 10 days to get it done

could use some cooler weather up in eastern Washington. Bear season opened August 1st and we still have not been out.

go_deep

WKR
The weather forecast is always right... Just hunt, better than sitting on the couch.

OP
ddavis_1313
Figured I’d give an update. 40 mins into day one and my wife arrowed this guy coming to a waterhole. Guess the heat worked in our favor! Didn’t hunt much else since she killed early. I had a tag but was happy to turn it into more of a vacation than a hunt. Spending time with this woman just hanging out was far more rewarding. Made for an awesome vacation post kill!
Here’s a few photos and one she shared on her Instagram. That was a photo of her on stage for one of her national body building shows. Her 68.5# RX4 zipped that axis arrow straight through the bull no problem. 331 7/8 for her first elk and first kill with her RX4
a2fac9ffa76389bf5ff5ff43ad240873.jpg

b246194c575952196dfd6fabee6052ac.jpg

2b16df06b73f2d41067d1bc94d433e82.jpg

2431137fbb83c66f9d87aa0266d7516c.jpg

a7ee5fca0e8b06958f4b77e9a328357d.jpg

e3a6e0233ae6d93860d68b6c1b948d53.jpg

11f3a189d845cc1c1d7522f849ad411e.jpg

Speck1

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t beat that. First day bull. You didn’t even have time to worry about the heat.

22lr

WKR
Dang nice bull and glad the heat worked in your favor. Sometimes its fun to have quick success in the field!

OP
ddavis_1313
Thank you for the compliments. She’s beyond happy! Gonna make for a great pedestal mount. Next up is Alaska 2022 with ram air mid September for a barren ground caribou to put next to him. Just me and her on a drop hunt. We are anxious to get there!