Elk hunting options with 11 yr old son?

RyanD16

FNG
Looking for advice for outfitters/Places to take my 11 yr old on his first mountain elk hunt.

Would prefer a guided wall tent/spike camp set up but would also consider a cabin/Lodge set up as well.

Im an experienced mountain hunter (mostly Alaska goat, sheep, caribou) have plenty gear but not knowing areas I’m leaning for guided.

There are so many not so good outfitters hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

Ryan

OP
R

RyanD16

FNG
Any State, this fall if available. Preferably when he’s out of school for fall break or Thanksgiving holiday.

Packer9037

Lil-Rokslider
Ryan - interested to hear what you decide. Took my 10 yr old to tag along last fall and she’ll be tagging along to Colorado next fall for a guided hunt I’m doing with my father. She wants to get out west the following year when she’s off age. I’ve been looking at maybe a diy cow hunt in MT.

Many of the draws are done but if Montana allows 11 year olds to hunt, that would be a good start.

Dang. I believe it is 12 in Colorado. There are some good cow tags for youth and they are relatively cheap. If you are still looking for a hunt next year when he is 12 I'll help.

I don't think there's any way my soon to be 12 year old could keep up over the course of a season, but I'm going to be getting him started on points this year.

f16jack

WKR
Go for a good cow elk hunt. Many more shot opportunities. The joy of hunting early on. I think the need for scoring the size of racks should be deemphasized when starting out. It will come later.

CMF

WKR
Why guided if you're an experienced hunter? Learning an area is part of it. I understand when time is an issue tho.
I'm not sure about elk hunts over thanksgiving, but there are several New Mexico youth mule deer options over the Thanksgiving break. I have us in for some good odds mule deer hunts this year.
My son(11 at the time) drew NM muzzleloader elk in 2021. The season was early October. We got there early to scout and we were into elk each day(bull in profile pic). If you want to get him into hunter education earlier to put in for NM check this out https://theoutdoortribe.com/hunter-education-how-to-get-certified-any-age-or-residency/

OP
R

RyanD16

FNG
Thanks for all the great info. He will be turning 12 07/24. He wants to experience the camping/adventure aspect. I have an AK Grizzly hunt this June I am considering bringing him on Or a Moose hunt in 2024. Not sure if He's ready for all of that wanted to try elk first.

I thought about the DIY over the counter tag type of hunt......which the execution I feel confident in, I am behind on the research and would really need to be pointed in the right direction as far a state, unit, license info. Being only 11 this year, he does not have to be the Hunter....Think he would like to just tag along.

Thanks Again

Ryan

Last edited:

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
Excellent thread,
I am in the same boat with my son, he just turned 11 and wants his own tag, but unfortunately, he can't hunt in colorado yet, so he will tag along. My other son is turning 13 this summer, I am getting him a cow tag and we will try either early rifle or 4th season cow hunt along with any mule deer license.
We have been hunting whitetail here in michigan and kind of used to rough weather.
Outfitter is a good idea.
My thought process - and I hope more experienced members can correct me here-
Since this is a learning curve, I will look for a trusted hunting partner to join the hunt and spend the money on a good canvas tent with stove in addition to other needed supplies and live the full experience. On the other hand, if it's just me and the boys and an affordable outfitter available then this is a good start as well.

CMF

WKR
Excellent thread,
I am in the same boat with my son, he just turned 11 and wants his own tag, but unfortunately, he can't hunt in colorado yet, so he will tag along. My other son is turning 13 this summer, I am getting him a cow tag and we will try either early rifle or 4th season cow hunt along with any mule deer license.
We have been hunting whitetail here in michigan and kind of used to rough weather.
Since this is a learning curve, I will look for a trusted hunting partner to join the hunt and spend the money on a good canvas tent with stove in addition to other needed supplies and live the full experience. On the other hand, if it's just me and the boys and an affordable outfitter available then this is a good start as well.
I think you can't go wrong either way, if you want to spend the money on the outfitter, it probably increases your chances of success. But if you're in it for the experience, you don't need an outfitter.
I'm from the south, so I'd lean toward the earlier season, but if you're used to the cold, It may not make a difference. I wish we could have hunted the CO first rifle this past season, my now 15yo daughter drew a tag, but due to work and the fact that she drew Oryx, I turned her elk tag back. We're going this year tho, she's going to draw a muzzy tag.

williaada

WKR
Excellent thread,
As someone who is from MI and hunts whitetails with my children and takes them out ice fishing without shanties. Going out west was completely different. Find clothes to cut the wind, keep them warm, and be able to walk 4-5 miles