Elk Hunting Road Trip to Idaho

OP
DMurphy

DMurphy

FNG
I should have included this is the original post, but I am a fan of trying local beers. When my dad and I took a roadie to Maine for a bear hunt a couple years back, I came back with a 12 pack from each state we passed through. When we got home, each beer reminded me of some cool part of the trip. So, if you have any suggestions for good beers from this area of the world, please throw those in as well.

OP
DMurphy

DMurphy

FNG
We drive from WI to ID to bow hunt elk every year, well this will be our last year for a while most likely.

These are the cool things we've done on the various drives out:
1. Drive thru Badlands park. You enter on one side (by the prairie dog place) and come out in Wall, where Wall Drug is. Very beautiful detour.
2. Mt. Rushmore. See it once and you're done.
3. Devils' Tower in WY. It's a bit of a detour (couple hours) but there is an awesome walking trail that takes you all the way around the tower. We did a family trip out there a couple summers ago and that was one of my kids favorite things to do.

Depending on how much time you have on the drive out..........you could also:
4. Once you get into MT, you could turn and run down into Gardiner, MT and take the northern loop of Yellowstone. Go in at Gardiner, come out in Western Yellowstone, then right into ID. Jus t know, it's slow going in Yellowstone. You're going to get no where fast once you're in there. (I also don't know when they formally close the park either, so you may want to look into that if you're going in later October.

-BHWI
Awesome. Thank you!

Just an FYI if you plan on staying in a hotel
You might start shopping for the best deal you can. They are way overpriced and sold out on MT. October might not be as much of an issue but who knows.
i.e. a roach motel was $250 and exponentially went up from there in butte a few weeks ago. Similar throughout the state.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
I should have included this is the original post, but I am a fan of trying local beers. When my dad and I took a roadie to Maine for a bear hunt a couple years back, I came back with a 12 pack from each state we passed through. When we got home, each beer reminded me of some cool part of the trip. So, if you have any suggestions for good beers from this area of the world, please throw those in as well.
Well, you're going to love coming through MT then. Damn near every town of any size has some kind of brewery now, and I haven't found one I don't like. You'll have plenty of options!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
You might start shopping for the best deal you can. They are way overpriced and sold out on MT. October might not be as much of an issue but who knows.
i.e. a roach motel was $250 and exponentially went up from there in butte a few weeks ago. Similar throughout the state.
Seasonal prices take a dive in mid October after tourist rush is over. Same everywhere out here. I can stay in hotels for 1/3 price in winter as compared to summer rates. I hate paying these prices but it is what it is when I'm on the road for work

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Paddlefish Stout

Beaver Creek Brewery

Wibaux MT

3 minutes off the interstate just west of the ND/MT border.

And I hate craft beers. But that's a good one.

OP
DMurphy

DMurphy

FNG
Thank you for this. I will get on it!

OP
DMurphy

DMurphy

FNG
Paddlefish Stout

Beaver Creek Brewery

Wibaux MT

3 minutes off the interstate just west of the ND/MT border.

And I hate craft beers. But that's a good one.
I was with you right up to the "I hate craft beers" part! Thank you for the info. I will check them out.