Elk Mount Smell Removal?

Hello,

I was fortunate enough to shoot a nice bull last year that I had mounted. I’ve had the mount back for about 3 months, and he still smells musky like the day I shot him. The taxidermist told me this would fade, but it’s driving everyone in my household nuts! Are there any good methods to clean the hide that avoid damaging the pelt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KineKilla

WKR
Strange one. I'd have thought that the tanning process would have removed all the rutty smell. There aren't glands anymore to secrete odors either.

You sure it isn't the foam or glues used by the taxidermist? I may have to ask some taxidermists about this one.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

OP
E
The fact that you shot a bull last fall and got the shoulder mount back in march might allude to the quality of the mount (and therefore the odor).

The guy does loads of mounts every year and does really good work so I’m not doubting his work at all.

OP
E
Strange one. I'd have thought that the tanning process would have removed all the rutty smell. There aren't glands anymore to secrete odors either.

You sure it isn't the foam or glues used by the taxidermist? I may have to ask some taxidermists about this one.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

To me it smells exactly like the pelt did after I shot him. Just like a rutty bull. I don’t know how the whole process works if they wash the hide or not?

hobbes

WKR
Unless he was saturated in piss, and maybe he was in September, It should not smell like that. Even then, the taxidermist should have been able to remove that smell.

I have used shampoo on whitetail mounts after they were completely dry and rinsed with a garden hose, then blown the water out with compressed air, blow with the grain of hair growth. Soak it for too long and you'll rehydrated the hide especially thinner areas, armpits, eyelids, etc. Also, I did it before the finishing and painting so you'd run the risk of ruining the finish work on the eyes and nose pad.

Did he send it to a tannery? I'm guessing not if it smells like that. I rarely did but after pickling the hide, thinning, tanning oil, shampooing, I don't recall having one smell like that. I'm guessing it's not been pickled or the smell would be gone.

If that's the case, shampooing may be a disaster but I would try if it smells that bad. The trick is to do it fast enough and blow enough moisture out that you don't rehydrate the hide and don't slip hair. If you try it, I would stay away from the face and ears altogether to avoid finish work.

I make no guarantees not having any idea how well the hide was handled by the taxidermist. I'm guessing not very well.

Last edited:
OP
E
Unless he was saturated in piss, and maybe he was in September, It should not smell like that. Even then, the taxidermist should have been able to remove that smell.

I have used shampoo on whitetail mounts after they were completely dry and rinsed with a garden hose, then blown the water out with compressed air, blow with the grain of hair growth. Soak it for too long and you'll rehydrated the hide especially thinner areas, armpits, eyelids, etc. Also, I did it before the finishing and painting so you'd run the risk of ruining the finish work on the eyes and nose pad.

Did he send it to a tannery? I'm guessing not if it smells like that. I rarely did but after pickling the hide, thinning, tanning oil, shampooing, I don't recall having one smell like that. I'm guessing it's not been pickled or the smell would be gone.

If that's the case, shampooing may be a disaster but I would try if it smells that bad. The trick is to do it fast enough and blow enough moisture out that you don't rehydrate the hide and don't slip hair. If you try it, I would stay away from the face and ears altogether to avoid finish work.

I make no guarantees not having any idea how well the hide was handled by the taxidermist. I'm guessing not very well.

He sends all his pelts off to a tannery

Montucky

WKR
Your mount shouldn’t smell like elk piss. You need to let your Taxidermist know & he should make it right. Even if that means finding you a different cape…….Unacceptable! could it be possible your wife is spraying it with Elk Fire so you have to move it out into garage…?
LOL

NB7

WKR
Quality work aside, are you positive it went to a tannery? I seem to remember hearing about tanneries being pretty backed up over the last few years (possibly due to covid excuses?). Seems like a pretty quick turn-around time if it includes having been out to a tannery. IDK...Just seems like that smell shouldn't be there after going through the tanning process.

NB7

WKR
Not the same thing, but I killed a nice bull in the Gila in 2015, beautiful dark beams/tines with white tips. His rack smelled strongly of the charred trees he had rubbed them on and the smell lasted for almost 4 years!! Just getting near enough to smell the antlers always brought back the awesome memories and that was pretty cool. Return from taxidermist took about a year. His hide however, was never odiferous.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Having a mount like that would subconsciously turn me into a bugling maniac all year. I'd wake up bugling and then start to wonder why. I put a rutted up bull in the back of my truck with a camper shell one year. For two years every time I opened it up I got a good whiff of rutting bull. I actually enjoyed that.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
When I got my moose back and hung it in my house, there was definitely a strong smell that lasted a few months, but it was chemical/conditioner type smell that I didn't mind one bit. Nothing pissy or rotten. That would be a little disturbing.

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
My brothers is the same as the OP's. Can you pin point the smell from the hide or could it be from the antlers?

He's had his bull back for just over a year (2 years since harvest) and the smell is still there but subsiding. I don't think he's done anything to try and make it go away. I know we wrapped the cape around the antlers when we packed his out. If memory serves me right while he had the antlers waiting on the taxidermist they stunk.

Just a thought. I've had the same taxidermist do three bulls for me and none have smelled.

Fred

Lil-Rokslider
My Grandson's Euro mount stunk too... I narrowed it down to the antlers. Been using a coat of Dead Down Wind scent remover just misting it and seems to be gradually reducing the odor more each time I do it. Only done a couple of times.

Do a close sniff test of the darker antler areas and see... Good luck.