Elk pack size

New to Western elk hunting so never used more than a day pack here. Trying to balance getting good gear and balancing cost where I can. On a pack, would lean to K4 or SG, but great sale prices on MR Metcalf. Typical hunt will be 5 days or less, usually camp by truck but will carry light in case we spike out. Not sure the 4330 ci is enough, and bigger sizes start pushing to packs I'd really like. Nearly half the price is hard to look past, but once the MR gets over $550 or so I'll probably just go up to the Exo or SG. Also might consider pieces off classifieds... Thoughts on size?

New to Western elk hunting so never used more than a day pack here. Trying to balance getting good gear and balancing cost where I can. On a pack, would lean to K4 or SG, but great sale prices on MR Metcalf. Typical hunt will be 5 days or less, usually camp by truck but will carry light in case we spike out. Not sure the 4330 ci is enough, and bigger sizes start pushing to packs I'd really like. Nearly half the price is hard to look past, but once the MR gets over $550 or so I'll probably just go up to the Exo or SG. Also might consider pieces off classifieds... Thoughts on size?
If you're looking at MR I would suggest looking at the Terraframe series. They have the same frame as the Metcalf but in solids targeted to the backpacking person and for significant savings. Moosejaw has 20% off one full price item and they often have bigger sales. Also they have points towards another purchse and you can stack this with Activejunky.com. My son and I saved almost 2000 a few years ago gearing up for our first elk hunt using this and splitting purchases up to get free shipping while getting the sale or 20%.

pirogue

WKR
Make sure you read the article on hear about those complaining about the MR Metcalf squeaking. Usually a reason inventory doesn’t sell and goes on sale.

I love my Exo K3. It can be packed down pretty small and light, and can really carry an elk load. I use the 4800 pack and it’s great. We packed out two elk this season between two of us and the pack did 100%, it was comfortable enough at about 140lbs when I had a hind quarter, back straps, rifle and all my gear strapped on it. I’m also happy to have the titanium stays of my K3. Super durable. Not a torn thread or anything. Super super handy the way the pockets and straps all work. I think the biggest factor in an elk pack is how well it carries loads, paired with a reasonable size for what you need. You really don’t need that much stuff if you’re day hunting or doing quick and easy spike camps.

Geewhiz

WKR
I have a MR metcalf and have had it for several years now. I have used and abused it and it takes everything I've thrown at it. I'd tell you how much weight ive packed on it but you probably wouldnt believe me and it never missed a beat. I would recommend all day long.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
pack size is very subjective. For example, I can easily do a 5 day solo backpack Oct goat hunt with a 60L (3600 cubic inch) bag, but I have done several backpack hunts and have my gear dialed in.

It really comes down to how much/type of food you need per day, how much clothing you need and what type of shelter/sleep system you have.

If you are at all in doubt, get a larger bag. Most bags compress down quite easily if you find you have room to spare but they sure don't stretch very well you need more.

As far as what pack to pick, unless you have had the opportuntity to try a pack (with weight) its a bit of a crapshoot. I beleive any of the major companies make packs/bag combinations that will work but if possible I'd let pack frame fit be the deciding factor over cost (if you can).

FWIW, I use a MR GLMT frame small waste belt,medium yoke with a 60L Selway bag for pack in hunts and a 23L Mule bag for day hunts. Only complaint is it seems to develop new blood stains every year :)

Last edited:
OP
C
pack size is very subjective. For example, I can easily do a 5 day solo backpack Oct goat hunt with a 60L (3600 cubic inch) bag, but I have done several backpack hunts and have my gear dialed in.

It really comes down to how much/type of food you need per day, how much clothing you need and what type of shelter/sleep system you have.

If you are at all in doubt, get a larger bag. Most bags compress down quite easily if you find you have room to spare but they sure don't stretch very well you need more.

As far as what pack to pick, unless you have had the opportuntity to try a pack (with weight) its a bit of a crapshoot. I beleive any of the major companies make packs/bag combinations that will work but if possible I'd let pack frame fit be the deciding factor over cost (if you can).

FWIW, I use a MR GLMT frame small waste belt,medium yoke with a 60L Selway bag for pack in hunts and a 23L Mule bag for day hunts. Only complaint is it seems to develop new blood stains every year :)
New stains are a good problem to have.

Unfortunately not much opportunity around here in Ohio to fit much western hunting gear, similar issue with trying boots. Have a few places geared to backpacking, so some overlap but not much. Have family in AK that hunts so leaning heavily on them along with hours of reading/videos, and places like this. Realize it can all be pretty subjective.

Appreciate the responses.

bpeay4

FNG
For the most part your gear will be the same for a 2 day hunt as it would for a 10 day hunt with the exception of food which can take up a lot of space on a long hunt.

I have a MR beartooth which is slightly larger than the metcalf. IMO the metcalf should be big enough for what you described.

nightant

FNG
Kifaru hands down. Definitely the best pack I've used. The Exo Packs are also of quality.

fatlander

WKR
I know you didn’t ask for opinions on this specifically, but truck camping and spike camping are two completely different things. 5 days of truck camping gear vs a 5 day backpack hunting gear aren’t on the same planet in my opinion. If truck camping, I’m going to be much more luxurious than a back packing load out. Depending on the situation, that could mean different shelters, bags, stoves, chairs, food, clothing etc. Pretty much almost everything could be different.

Go into your first trip planning to truck camp and be mobile with the truck. Elk hunting is hard. Back packing in the Rockies off trail is hard. Doing both on the first rip is a recipe for disaster. 5 days is getting on longer amount of time to hunt one spot for elk. Especially if they’re not there.

As far as packs go, it’s a personal thing once you get into the upper tier. The only way you’re going to know is to try. Being you’re just getting started and have no idea if you’re actually going to like it, I’d buy one of the steeply discounted mystery ranch bags that are out there right now. If you find you don’t like elk hunting or can’t get tags, you don’t have a 700+ dollar pack that you don’t really need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
IMO a metcalf would be good for 5 days of living out of the pack backcountry hunting. If you are at the truck and might camp out a night or two...more than enough. Also, you could always supplement with a dry bag and put it on the load shelf to add capacity. I do this with my food and stove and some "camp" items. Set up camp and leave all my extra food related items and a couple extra things at camp. It is all in a weather proof bag so I just pull it off the load shelf...throw a rope on it and hang it.

Problem I see with a lot of guys that get a larger bag than needed is, they bring more crap. And since you are new and not dialed in I think you are asking for punishment with too big of a bag.

If I am hunting from the truck I my SG frame just will have their old Serca 1700ci bag on it. I can fit my stove a meal, some snacks, rain gear, knives, etc. in it. I have a waist packet on each side one for first aid kit and the other for misc....compass, fire starting equip, small knife sharpener, what have you. No idea what the hell guys fill a 4,000+ci pack with when day hunting from the truck or really even from a spike camp most of the time.

TaperPin

WKR
Just keep in mind a big pack is a hinderance during day hunting, and a small pack is a hinderance packing in and out.

The Metcalf 50 pack is a good day pack - I’ve never seen a pack that size work for multiple days. The 75 with 4600 cubic inches is the max size I’d want for 5 days hunting and the 100 is too large for hunting, but makes a good size for long backpacking trips. I bought a big pack thinking the extra size wouldn’t bother me, but it was horrible to carry around mostly empty as a day pack.

I‘m a fan of a pack barely large enough to pack in for a week, because 90% of the time you’re only day hunting. It has to be large enough to almost hold everything, but the more you can lash on the outside the better. The suspension, belt and frame have to be stout enough to haul weight, but boned out meat is quite compact.

The two biggest issues to watch out for with pack fit is the length and shape of the frame and belt size. Someone 5’9” might fit a large frame if they have a long torso, or a medium with a short torso. Order from a place that can help explain fitting and has a good return policy. Nothing is worse than trying to make a pack work that is a size too large or two small.

Last edited:
If we are day hunting and plan only to overnight if we kill or get too far from base camp on some elk and do not wan to leave I wear a Kifaru frame with a EXO 3200 and my son has a Kifaru Frame and a Woodsman. Both are around 3000 + Cubic Inches and handle all we need for that kind of hunt.

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure you read the article on hear about those complaining about the MR Metcalf squeaking. Usually a reason inventory doesn’t sell and goes on sale.
I've got the MR Sawtooth and beartooth. They definitely do squeek out of the box. It's the webbing on the frame corners where they go into the inserts on the bags. I found that melting down some bowstring wax, vaseline, etc... and soaking the webbing cures it for a season or so.

I use the K4 2200 for day hunts and the 5000 for multiple day hunts. I can do about 3 days in the 2200 if I wanted too. 3500 is a good multi use size.
Here is a K2 2000 with an elk front, hind and lose meat.
IMG_1704.jpeg

gostovp

WKR
For guys that have smaller bags and go the spike camp route, do you use a dry bag on the meat shelf for stuff you are just hiking into the spike? Like tent, sleeping bag and pad, extra food and cookware…

TaperPin

WKR
For guys that have smaller bags and go the spike camp route, do you use a dry bag on the meat shelf for stuff you are just hiking into the spike? Like tent, sleeping bag and pad, extra food and cookware…
I’ve always preferred a small permanent bag on a frame, with the camp strapped on around it.

True dry bags are really heavy - a more workable solution for me are ultralight ripstop nylon stuff bags - if it might be wet, lining them with a trash bag.

Every small pack has to carry external weight differently. One extra large stuff sack may work, or two medium ones. Lashing strap location can dictate what can go where, so if it’s possible to add straps where you want them, it helps a great deal. One year I sewed webbing loops to hold straps in place, but that’s not needed if the stuff sacks are full and straps are located in usable areas.

At one point I would strap a separate medium-size sausage-shaped food bag to the side of a pack with the tent and pad on the other side and sleeping bag up top. Another time the sleeping bag and food bag were up top, making the pack taller.

Laramie

WKR
Packs are personal preference imo. Until you use one a few times, you won't know what you like or dislike. I prefer my Ebberlestock while a buddy of mine, who is similar in size, likes a different pack. They all work- just need to try a few and see what you like.

when you say "spike out" what exactly do you mean? I can pack enough gear and food in a 3000ci pack for a 3 day 2 night hunt easy. It just depends on what you want to take. There are a lot of good pack companies. I mix and match. The best frame I found for me is the Seek Outside frame. I really like the ability to change the frame height very easily. I use different companies bags that I can attach to the frame depending what type of hunt I am going to do.

Last edited: