Elk recipes?

DuckDogDr

WKR
Looking for some recipes for first time cooking elk.
Stews; fajita strips , marinades etc .

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t beat the slow cooker. Season & sear each side of a crockpot shaped piece of meat, stick it in a couple inches of water and leave the pot on low for 6-8 hours. Works on everything. Add butter for wild game

Marble

WKR
Burger I treat just like any other Burger. Roasts too, maybe cooked slightly less depending...

Steaks, always medium rare.

Better cuts are dry aged in fridge for 1-2weeks.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

davsco

WKR
crockpot for 6 hours. plenty of carrots , potatoes and onions, two cans of cream of mushroom soup. comes out tender and yummy.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
Like has been said, any beef recipe will work, BUT, elk meat has no fat in the muscle so it dries out much quicker. Always try for med rare for steaks on the grill, anything more and it will be like eating shoe leather. I butcher my own game animals and grind my own, never add suet to the burger and have never had any adverse effects. I like to know what is going into the frying pan.

The elk burger we had made is 90/10 with beef fat. It is phenomenal on its own and my kids prefer it over regular 90/10 or 80/20 beef.

For something different this past weekend, I thawed 3 pounds of elk burger and threw into a large mixing bowl. I seasoned with 1 tablespoon each of table grind pepper, garlic powder (not salt), and onion powder. I also added 1 teaspoon each of chili powder, smoked paprika, and regular table salt.

I thoroughly mixed the seasoning in by hand and then added a cup of shredded mild cheddar to the top and mixed it in thoroughly.

You can make the pattie’s as large or small as you want, and I think I went with 12.

I preheated my pellet smoker to 400 about 45 minutes ahead of time (it’s cold here) to make sure it was good and hot. I’m running Lumberjack competition blend pellets. I cooked the burgers for about 7-8 minutes and flipped for about another 7-8 minutes. Heat loss with the pellet grill when opening the lid requires more cooking time.

The burgers came out a perfect medium-medium/rare, and the blended in cheddar cheese made them extra juicy and delicious. The leftovers were even better the next day.

Stew
Cube meat and onion, sear in pot, transfer to crock pot, cover with beef broth, cook all day on low.
Transfer back to pot, boil with your carrots, celery, salt pepper, onion, garlic etc to taste.
Side with the red lobster biscuits.

CCooper

WKR
I like to cut my steaks about 1.25" thick. light rub with olive oil and seasoning of choice. Put them on the pellet grill on smoke for 30-45 minutes (150 or so) then remove completely from grill. Turn grill up to 425, let it come up to temp and sear both sides for a few minutes. Let it rest for 5-10 minutes and enjoy. Elk/ Deer/ Duck I prefer rare to very rare.
Edit to add: Let the steaks come to room temp before grilling.

Check out the Nevada Foodies website. There is tons and tons of wildgame recipes on there. I have yet to try one that I didnt like.

svivian

WKR
My favorite way to do backstraps.

Take the loin roast out a week ahead of time and pat dry. Season with your favorite stuff and let it sit in the fridge loosely covered for about a week.

Set the smoker to 180 and bring the meat up to room temperature.

Place the roast on the smoker for 2 hrs or until internal temperature hits 120 degrees. Flip every 30 minutes and baste with garlic butter to keep moisture.

Get a cast iron or black stone as hot as possible. Drop som garlic butter on and immediately take the meat from the smoker to the cast iron and sear on all sides no more than 45 seconds a side.

Place in foil and dump the rest of the garlic butter on top and wrap it tightly. Let it sit for 15 minutes in the foil then enjoy

958575E1-2B08-4B94-8D65-0A24083DA711.jpeg

Last edited:

Pro953

WKR

Wrench

WKR
Cut em' thick, cook em' fast and don't be afraid to let them sit in salt based cures for a day or 3 before the above.

Ehiggins

WKR
Elk bourguignon

It’s incredible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeknelk

WKR
Steaks I like a about 3/4 to inch thick. I season with Prudommes meat magic or just Montreal steak and a bit more salt. Sear in cast iron pan with plenty of butter or bacon grease. Just till rare or medium rare. I like a dab of horseradish once in a while.
Heart is a huge favorite here, it's the third tenderloin but denser. Trim all valves , plumbing and silver skin. Season and fry the opened heart flats, let sit a bit. Slice into strips.
Put French bread roll with course salt, parmesan and butter on top in oven till warm and a little crusty. Make sandwich with sauteed onions and peppers and heart. Best sandos I've ever had. Heart has perfect bite with NO pull outs. It also makes awesome tacos cooked the same way.

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
Tak a 1/2 pound of burger, fry it up with some onions and dump in a small can of El Pato, cook it down a bit and crack 4-5 eggs in it, makes killer breakfast tacos and burritos.