Elk Rifle Suggestions

tttoadman

WKR
I am a one gun guy with a Tikka .270. I have knocked elk down at 350 to 400. I shoot the TTSX 130.

My brother and his 06 have been killing elk for 35years. Only gun he has ever owned. He can shoot a 5" pattern at 500yds with it. He shoots the TTSX 168.

Become proficient with any gun, and it will perform. Get a nice rangefinder.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’d just go get a tikka in 300wm or wsm, get some DNZ scope rings and slap a good 3-9 or 2-10 or something on it and go shoot your elk.

By the time you replace the scope and get a new stock etc etc, your going to be into it for just a few hundred dollars less than buying a tikka setup and you’ll have a second gun.

16Bore

WKR
Good glass, good boots, and shoot the heck out of whatever load you decide on.

OP
B

BCD

WKR
Yeah I'm still leaning towards gettting the Xbolt in 300 Win or 300 WSM. I looked at the Tikkas and just didn't care for them at all.

tntrker

WKR
Yeah I'm still leaning towards gettting the Xbolt in 300 Win or 300 WSM. I looked at the Tikkas and just didn't care for them at all.

I like the X-Bolt as well but went with a Savage High Country 300wm just because I've always had great performance with Savage and got a great discount. Had it not been for the discount, I would have went with the X-Bolt

Pootros

FNG
I suggest the Remington 5R Tactical in 300 WM to everyone. I have had great luck with mine, albeit after replacing the trigger. I shoot it with a can but with a MBM muzzle break, it is a kitten. 1/2 MOA is doable with handloads. And it is a Remington 700 so if you ever wanted to upgrade anything on it, you would be hard pressed to find an action with more aftermarket support. They are also under $900.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I said that for a few years, tikkas just didn’t do much for me. Finally I have in and got one. I love it.

I 100% get it that the tikka isn’t your thing. Get something you like, Otho g wrong with the x bolt or a m70 etc etc.

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
I suggest the Remington 5R Tactical in 300 WM to everyone. I have had great luck with mine, albeit after replacing the trigger. I shoot it with a can but with a MBM muzzle break, it is a kitten. 1/2 MOA is doable with handloads. And it is a Remington 700 so if you ever wanted to upgrade anything on it, you would be hard pressed to find an action with more aftermarket support. They are also under $900.

How much does your setup weigh?

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
Become proficient with any gun, and it will perform. Get a nice rangefinder.

This is good advice. Also a Timney or other quality trigger makes a big difference. If not already, make sure it’s bedded well and sealed under action and channel assuming it’s wood stocked. Make memories with what you got. If you become a frequent elk hunter then decide if you want something else to fit your needs. I like 165 partitions or accubonds in .30-06. It’s versatile and can handle varying shot situations. Good luck.

Pootros

FNG
Just a hair over 10lbs with scope. Heavy, but relatively manageable for me personally. The can adds another 12oz or so to that and is horrible to carry with a sling. Very top heavy. I’ll probably just ditch it for rifle season next year.

- - - Updated - - -

How much does your setup weigh?

Forgot to include the quote on the last post. Forgive me as I am new. Rifle weight is about 10lbs with scope.

kcm2

WKR
You carry an elk rifle a lot more than you shoot it. My 700LH now weighs 6.5 lbs, scoped, loaded and with a sling on it, in 270. I've killed a couple dozen elk with it, many from 300-500 yards measured. A 9.5 lb 300 magnum is more than I want to haul. But I'm a lefty so had to get it rebarrelled and have a custom stock put on it to have a light rifle..nothing from the factory is light.

Good luck.

sika64

FNG
I have a 300 wsm and really like it, They shoot a few different loads and weights easier then most. Plenty of manufactured ammo out there from 150gr up 190-200 Bergers and ABLR. and minimal recoil

OP
B

BCD

WKR
I have a 300 wsm and really like it, They shoot a few different loads and weights easier then most. Plenty of manufactured ammo out there from 150gr up 190-200 Bergers and ABLR. and minimal recoil

What model rifle is your 300 WSM?

My bro didn't like how my 7mm-08 with 150gr hornady dropped this little guy in his tracksIMG_0867.JPG

Then again getting cartridge advice from these guys isn't smart.

IMG_1153.JPG

SoDaky

WKR
Rarely hunt with a rifle anymore(except coyotes)but in the day it was always a 300 Weatherby or Win.On the other hand my wife shot 4 bulls with her 270.All OSOKs with factory 130 gr Rem Core lokts.

Tradchef

WKR
I’m a .308 guy. Been dropping em with zero issues at 400 and less. All are great choices. Get the one you can shoot the most accurate. The 06 is a great choice. The .300 mag if you can handle it well and shoot some distance is an animal on elk. 7mag is another great choice.