Elk Season is Upon Us 2015

InPursuit

FNG
As we get ready to chase elk it's almost surreal the time is finally upon us. All the target practice, online research, physical conditioning, It's all coming down to a few short weeks that is looking us straight in the eyeballs. I will be off grid for 11 full days of hunting, no cell service, no emails, no outside communication whatsoever. You cant help but be a little nervous leaving the wife to handle the kids but shes up for the challenge and I'm ready to get this show on the road and venture into the deep wilderness of the Land of Enchantment. Good luck to everyone and I look forward to seeing all the great pictures!

Ceby7

Lil-Rokslider
Spent the last couple days up at 12,000' in CO and the bulls are bugling. Have yet to find the big mulies I'm after though.

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
I've still got 2 weeks until I head west. I cannot wait! It will be my 1st elk hunt during the rut. I hope they are screaming!

Spent the last couple days up at 12,000' in CO and the bulls are bugling. Have yet to find the big mulies I'm after though.
great to hear. havent been over 9000,in a couple weeks working like a demon so next month goes smooth without me. seems early to hear them,but right on! what quadrant of CO are you in? NW,SW?

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I too have been hearing a few bugles in MT and WY. But bulls will do that sporadically throughout the year. Doesn't mean a whole lot now. Come September and I will be fired up to be hearing them at that time!

bradb

WKR
15 days tell my 13 year wait to chase az bulls! ........LITTLE excited

bradb

WKR
Unit 1!!! Will of course hunt here in WI, also have a NV deer tag and a KS deer tag. Going to be a very fun and busy fall.

JWP58

WKR
I heard a couple of bugles last week at 10k ft around midnight. It gets the blood pumping for sure.

KHNC

WKR
The GILA for me and a buddy come Sept 15th! Still training regularly.

danarnold

WKR
Co for me this year less than 2 weeks (archery in muzzle-loader season), due to not getting drawn for Wy...taking mules, it'll be new for me, I'm stoked!

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Leaving Wisconsin Sept 3 have to be back on the 14th. Was going solo now a friend wants to go along to fish, going to unit 14 area in Colorado. For my 60th birthday my wife said I could have time off from Daddy day care, I'm a stay at home daddy for a 3 and 4 year old boys. Going to pack in for 7 days. It's good season is almost here so I have to quit buying gear. Of course when I get back I can figure out what upgrades and other gear I need. I'm ready for an adventure. Good luck to all.

xziang

WKR

Nice to read, heading out for a quick 3 day hunt this weekend and hope to hear some too. :) Hopefully the scouting in July pays off.

hobbes

WKR
Regardless of what I've done to prepare, I always feel like I need more time to get ready at about this time. Maybe more so this year because my folks are coming in to visit here in MT during the first week and a half of September, so I won't hunt much on the long opening weekend. I should feel like I have more time, but it's added a small amount of stress to my preparations. However, I'm looking forward to the visit. I will get out and bird hunt and fish with my dad a couple times, but the elk woods are too much for him.

I'll go all out the second weekend and will work 4-10's the rest of the elk season. I'm set for vacation beginning the third weekend through the week of the 21st. I've hunted with my teenage son for the last three seasons during my vacation because we've been homeschooling. However, he's finishing up highschool in a public environment this year and next before starting college, so I'll be going it alone on weekdays for several years. I used to really like hunting alone, but losing that time with him and my youngest son is disappointing.

bwlacy

WKR
Good luck to everybody. We are leaving here Saturday morning for SW Colorado and wont' be back to Michigan until the 12th. Looking forward to my first back country elk adventure.

OP
InPursuit

InPursuit

FNG
Less than 24 hours until we hit it for 18 hours of hwy... Last day prep!

Definitely don't feel as prepared as I'd like. With the combination of rebuilding my deck and my wife starting her own business, it's been super busy. Nevertheless, I plan on hitting it hard as much as I can get out. Our planned 5 day trip in the Bob got cancelled due to wildfires. I feel really lucky living in MT that I can pick a new spot super easy, little GE work then out the door. My buddy and I both got bull permits for 310 so we'll be chasing bulls on the border of YNP soon. Good luck everybody!!

jdmaxwell

WKR
Heading into CO back country in 7 days for 2 weeks..
Hoping to get my wife her first bull with her bow this yr..