Elk Shanks

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Spent way too much time messing with shanks for it to be worth it. Picking out the meat between the hot jello tendions for hours is a terrible process. Think it was a 6-7 hour process last time, and all this time and money trying to make something good out of trash is something we no longer do. Shanks go to the bears.

Another point I usually make is if I have to buy and use tons of ingredients to try to mask what I'm eating, I typically just pass all together. Not necessarily just shanks but other items from other game.

We also grind anything that would normally be a roast. Just don't eat it. We make so much Italian, breakfast, and Mexican sausages that we don't even think about putting anything in a slow cooker. Back straps and loins for steaks. Everything else is ground for sausage and burger.

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
Spent way too much time messing with shanks for it to be worth it. Picking out the meat between the hot jello tensions for hours is a terrible process. Think it was a 6-7 hour process last time, and all this time and money trying to make something good out of trash is something we no longer do.

Another point I usually make is if I have to buy and use tons of ingredients to try to mask what I'm eating, I typically just pass all together. Shanks go to the bears.

We also grind anything that would normally be a roast. Just don't eat it. We make so much Italian, breakfast, and Mexican sausages that we don't even think about putting anything in a slow cooker. Back straps and loins for steaks. Everything else is ground for sausage and burger.

You don’t have to buy a bunch of ingredients to “mask” the flavor of shanks. They have a earthy, rich tone that almost no other cut of meat has due to how tough the muscle groups are. Add to that the flavor of broken down silverskin and bone marrow, and it is an incredibly rich meat that requires only time ( usually 6-9 hours) to properly break down.

That being said, I may go out of my way to use extra premium ingredients only because shank meat is limited and it’s more of a “special event” than making venison stew, chili or other dishes you can easily make with most any cut of venison, but you can certainly treat it as stew meat, just will need more braising time than sirloin or shoulder meat.

Also, a powerful enough grinder will handle shank meat, silverskin included, just fine, but it will need 2 grinds.

Stalker69

WKR
No thanks, its a flavor I don't care for. In my opinion silver skin is not intended to be eaten, by humans. Hell I don't even feed it to my dogs. And yea I know you can add broth and all kinds of seasoning to tenderize them, and you can spray frebreeze on a turd. But its still a turd.

Last edited:

Stalker69

WKR
Spent way too much time messing with shanks for it to be worth it. Picking out the meat between the hot jello tensions for hours is a terrible process. Think it was a 6-7 hour process last time, and all this time and money trying to make something good out of trash is something we no longer do.

Another point I usually make is if I have to buy and use tons of ingredients to try to mask what I'm eating, I typically just pass all together. Shanks go to the bears.

Yes Its the galationus goo, and texture that I don't care for. If I only get an extra 1lb or two of grind from them, its far better.

Poser

WKR
No thanks, its a flavor I don't care for. In my opinion silver skin is not intended to be eaten, by humans. Hell I don't even feed it to my dogs. And yea I know you can add broth and all kinds of seasoning to tenderize them, and you can spray frebreeze on a turd. But its still a turd.

If you’re eating any ground beef, especially chuck, you are eating silverskin. It’s just tissue.
Also drying out silverskin in the dehydrator makes for excellent dog treats, but you can also throw it in the stock pot with bones and make stock.

Stalker69

WKR
We trim our grind meat extremely clean, it gets some sliver skin but its a very very very small amount if any.

Explorer

FNG
Here is another good thread on shanks.

We debone and can them or cross cut and cook in the pressure cooker or crockpot. They're well worth saving.

UtahJimmy

WKR
I put these in the freezer a few days ago so I had to pull some out from last year to make room. We just cooked some up tonight. Such a rich meal to have on a cold night with a side of toast.
0bd8e367ca5415c75dd5402174751682.jpg
68502d32c41cb1d9eb02e62b75f60b04.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

xcutter

WKR
I put these in the freezer a few days ago so I had to pull some out from last year to make room. We just cooked some up tonight. Such a rich meal to have on a cold night with a side of toast.
0bd8e367ca5415c75dd5402174751682.jpg
68502d32c41cb1d9eb02e62b75f60b04.jpg

What's the best way to remove any sawed up bone from the meat? Yours looks perfect as I don't see any bone dust on meat.

Stalker is missing the point. Shanks are one of the few places on a deer or elk that -,when cooked slow like above recipes-is NOT LEAN. The stuff that breaks down makes for a smooth, fatty dish that is unique to every other deliscious venison dish.
I cut them in half to allow marrow to cook into broth and fit in slow cooker more easily. Dry rub and oil overnight in fridge. Grill about 15 min to char for flavor. Then in slow cooker with water, red wine, Dijon mustard, 1 chopped tomato and small onion. As much water as u like. They do not have to be covered with water - they won't dry out. But I like the broth so I add enough water to cover. One hour on high then 5 more on low. I don't add other veggies but I guess you could for last hour or 2.

UtahJimmy

WKR
What's the best way to remove any sawed up bone from the meat? Yours looks perfect as I don't see any bone dust on meat.
I rinse them with cold water. Pat dry, let them hang out for a few mins, then slip them into vacuum bags.

bigsky2

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone ever cook up the shank meat the same way without the bones? Just wondering if its still good or if its not the same if not still attached to the bone.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Spent way too much time messing with shanks for it to be worth it. Picking out the meat between the hot jello tendions for hours is a terrible process. Think it was a 6-7 hour process last time, and all this time and money trying to make something good out of trash is something we no longer do. Shanks go to the bears.

Another point I usually make is if I have to buy and use tons of ingredients to try to mask what I'm eating, I typically just pass all together. Not necessarily just shanks but other items from other game.

I'm typically in this camp.

My philosophy is if you don't want to throw it in a pan right now, cook it, and eat it, it shouldn't go in the grind bucket.

I had one of my better attempts at Osso Bucco recently.

I used one whole elk shank, boney ends removed. It was maybe 10" long.

First, I browned it in a large cast iron skillet under the broiler. Salt, pepper, and olive only.

Second, sauteed onions and garlic in the same pan. Deglaze with a splash of red wine. I used 1000 stories Cabernet.

Third, all of the above (and a few bay leaves) went into a vacuum sealed bag for the sous vide.

My cooking temperature varied. I initially set the sous vide to 197° (it's highest temperature). Since I was trying to replicate braising in the oven. Later, I reduced the temperature to 180°. My average temperature was probably 185° and the time was about 13 total hours (intended 12hr).

I was using a small cooler for my water bath and the initial starting temperature produced so much condensation that it was messing with the touch screen. After a little research, I adjusted down to 180°.

When it was time to eat, I replaced some of the broth from the bag and meat in the skillet and back under the broiler for a few minutes. Served over egg noodles.

The end product was about as close to perfection as I have found. It lacked a "wow" factor for me but was still very good. I would probably do things slightly different on the front end next time since I was somewhat rushed. Otherwise, I think 12-14hr at 185° might be the ticket.

Most of the recipes I've seen suggest much longer cooking at much lower temperatures and are designed for lamb, veal, etc. I'm fairly certain these lack the temperature to break down the large amounts of connective tissue in an elk shank. The collagen breaks down beginning around 160° and at 180° the collagen takes on the gelatinized characteristic.

Hopefully this helps someone.

Anyone ever cook up the shank meat the same way without the bones? Just wondering if its still good or if its not the same if not still attached to the bone.
I cook my shanks deboned simply because they fit better in my freezer and crockpot that way. I haven't cooked w bone in so I can't comment on the flavor enhancement of the marrow.

Well, seems like you either like it or you don’t. I sure do! The meat eater piece on YouTube is the one that got me started on them. Two deer shanks makes enough for two or three. Browned and seasoned with cayenne, cumin, and lime. Slow cooker for no less than 5 hours and throw it on a tortilla. Not many parts of a deer that are better, imo.

JDMotown

FNG
Find a well rated Adobada recipe, insert shanks into it, and learn how to make home made tortillas. Lights out...