Elk Tied To Tree

IdahoElk

WKR
Crazy thing Happened to me and my hunting buddy this year in the backcountry, You all have heard the joke about "if you see one tie it to a tree for me" well this year it actually happened!
We were on a saddle watching a small six point below rubbing his antlers trying to figure out how to move in on him. Then it wondered into a small patch of pines and unbeknown to us began rubbing its antlers on a horse highline, like dental floss running it through back and forth.
Well of course the next thing that happens is it gets tangled to the point where it's not getting lose. After forty minutes of the Bull getting more aggravated, shaking its head to try to get loose and bugling it's head off, another 6x comes in and starts poking it with its antlers.
What to do?
We decided to go down and see what we could do to free the entangled Bull, I was the stupid one to volunteer to try and cut this guy lose which at the time seemed to me like a 3 or 4 on the risk meter. Well that soon escalated to a 7 or 8 when this rut crazed bull saw the reaper walking towards him with knife drawn, his eyes looked wide as sauce pans and he began pulling against the ropes with all his might to get away from me.
I reached up to the rope and barely laid my knife on it, the cut cracked like a firework going off and the bull cartwheeled backwards in a cloud of dust, I was thinking " wow" this is some crazy stuff going on right here!
The bull jumped up and began to run and he was still tethered by the other side of his antlers. He was really not happy, giving it all he had to pull away, I walked toward him hoping to cut the rope closer to his antlers, didn't want him running through the woods with yards of rope, just to get stuck on the next tree.
My knife barely touched the rope and again it just exploded and the bull was sent cartwheeling backwards in a cloud of dust, only this time he was free and took off running with a rope hat tangled in its headgear.
The adrenaline rush left me shaking for probably 15 minutes!

Of course I wish this was all on film but unfortunately I only have this.

adrenaline r

Boiler

Lil-Rokslider
A VERY similar thing happened to me while on my Kentucky elk hunt! It was tangled in wire and wrapped around a tree less than 25 yards from our tent! No way to free him, so had to get ahold of the dnr. They came the next morning and shot him. Sad for the elk, but they let us keep the meat, so we ended up with two elk with one tag!!