Elk Tip #3

ElkNut1

WKR
Bugling To Aggressively!

With all the how to youtube videos hitting the Internet these days it seems there's an Aggressive Nature that should is being applied to any bull that is heard & even using Dominant Challenging Bugles as Locator Bugles all throughout the day even when there's little to no rut action happening! Is this wise? Not really. We are better off to use Non Intimidating Bugles for location purposes, these are bugles with much less emotion as if you were yelling, instead speak in a mild tone with a single high note, it will still carry out & send your message a long distance without being threatening. The purpose of a Locator Bugle is to locate other elk, not call them to you!

Yes, there are times & Bulls to be aggressive with, this will be discussed as well!

ElkNut/Paul

Wise words. Very hard to fight that urge to challenge back when I get worked up from hearing a bull screaming. Lol.

Hey Paul- I think this was the best advice I ever got from you. I would take it a step further and say I always watch how I'm bugling something, whether it be a setup, location, or advertising. I never want to say FU before I say hello. When I first started hunting I would try to challenge every bull. He gives me a peep and I blow his doors off. As you can imagine, I would call in 1 bull out of 5. But....eventually I would get one in and get it shot. Sometimes I would call in 1 bull in 7 days of hunting. Learning when to blow his doors off, if needed, really is what you preach. I am consistently calling in about 4 out of 5 these days. Allows me to be a bit more picky with which bull I want to shoot. So keep up the good work!

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes, when they are rutting then we can get aggressive on a much quicker plane, big key is use your emotion wisely. Remember, in most cases an aggressive bugle used to a herd with a hot cow is directed to the cow not nearly as much to the bull like so many think! When a bull shows aggression to another bull as to a satellite it's a warning being issued to stay back. When a satellite comes in hot & heavy AFTER being worked up he's doing his best to pull the hot cow away or he'd walk straight up to the herd bull & face-off!

This thread is about LOCATING elk groups, not challenging them! Thanks!

Montanaelk31, you bet, it's all about communication, so many bulls need to be slow played in a social manner before their temps rise or you rise them up to that level. A good caller can read the situation & know what he needs to do to play that bull, this is how a caller can call 90% of the bulls he targets into bowrange. It's an Art! I hope these Tips shared can give all a glimpse on what real life calling is all about to the elk we try to imitate! Thanks for the feedback & good luck to you!

ElkNut/Paul

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bugling To Aggressively!

With all the how to youtube videos hitting the Internet these days it seems there's an Aggressive Nature that should is being applied to any bull that is heard & even using Dominant Challenging Bugles as Locator Bugles all throughout the day even when there's little to no rut action happening! Is this wise? Not really. We are better off to use Non Intimidating Bugles for location purposes, these are bugles with much less emotion as if you were yelling, instead speak in a mild tone with a single high note, it will still carry out & send your message a long distance without being threatening. The purpose of a Locator Bugle is to locate other elk, not call them to you!

Yes, there are times & Bulls to be aggressive with, this will be discussed as well!

ElkNut/Paul

Our old friend Rod (Slickstalker) once told me, "it's easier to escalate an encounter (calling) than to de-escalate a situation thru calling". He didn't have to explain what that meant. I've carried that with me on every hunt since then.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Trophyhill, x2 - This is why a Slow Play Tactic is in order on nearly every bull, it allows the caller to call the shots! You want to call in & kill more bulls then put them on the defense, if a bull is calling the shots throughout entire encounter the hunter will lose a large majority of them!

ElkNut/Paul