Emergency/Survival food in the backcountry.

I was wondering if any of you have tried taking emergency/survival food into the backcountry. There are several brands out there like Augason Farms, ReadyWise, Ready Hour, My Patriot etc. out on the market that seem like they could be repurposed into backpacking foods. A brief look at some of their labeling seems like they are calorie dense and would function very similarly to Mountain House, Peak or other purpose made backpacking meals. I assume you would have to do some repackaging, but other than that is there any reason not to give this a shot? I think it could be a budget friendly way to get to eat in the backcountry.

mjh

FNG
1713463689998.png

I did a back country trip of 4 or 5 days. This was my only solid food. I had tea and honey and water as well on the trip. I would not choose to do this again. So many options out there and I now know more about wild edibles as well. Drink plenty of water if you choose to go with some kind of bar route.

taskswap

WKR
I have two (3000-cal) emergency ration bars in my truck, but for true emergencies, not hunting .I had exactly your thought, so as an experiment I ate one for a day or two. I won't do it again. You should buy and try one - they're pretty cheap on Amazon and then you can decide for yourself.

They're nutritious, but very bland, not super fun to eat more than once or twice, and not as light as you'd think. They're also intended to provide raw calories, not a balanced meal - most have little to no vitamins or fiber, and are just dense sugar cookies - fat and carbs. In a survival situation that's all you need - you're usually siting tight somewhere, or riding around in a life boat. You don't need much protein, and these bars are designed to keep you alive while help finds you, not vice versa. Hiking and hunting, you need the opposite.

Pemmican is great. But honestly, if you want a zero effort, fast, cheap, easy option, just bring store-bought jerky, granola, and M&M's. (I like to add raisins - you do you.) It doesn't need to be a $10-a-meal heavy-on-the-soy name brand entree. I mean, if you were willing to eat ration bars for 3 days anyway, it'll be no more monotonous, but also more cost-effective, nutritionally complete, and more satisfying.

If I'm "spiking out" I save a half pound of pack weight by skipping my kitchen entirely. I pack three snack-size ziplocs (lunch, dinner, lunch) with loose granola that I doctor up with M&Ms, raisins, craisins, and banana chips. It's dry so I need to bring extra water but it easily keeps me going for 48hrs, takes no time at all to set up, and costs like $2 per meal the way I roll.

grfox92

WKR
I ate some Readywise meals this year. Teriyaki Chicken and rice. They were cheap, like $5.95. So I would buy one every time we went shopping for the last few weeks before hunting season. They were horrible. I'd rather scavenge for and eat deer turds. I'll never pack them again.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

limpet

FNG
There’s a reason it’s sold as survival or prepper food. I’ve tried a few of their offerings angled they’ve all been bad. I think they sell to the survival and prepper crowd with an expectation that most people buy the kits and never actually try it.

j3h8

FNG
Why pack survival food when you could be packing the fuel you need for your hunt? Help me understand.

Or is this a this rather than that scenario?

OP
U
Why pack survival food when you could be packing the fuel you need for your hunt? Help me understand.

Or is this a this rather than that scenario?
Well, it's an economics thing.
8,000 calories from Peak Refuel is ~$138
8,000 calories from Augason Farms ~$35

Hunt can be a damn spendy proposition, so if there is a practical, pragmatic way to mitigate some of that cost it is worth at least investigating.

j3h8

FNG
Well, it's an economics thing.
8,000 calories from Peak Refuel is ~$138
8,000 calories from Augason Farms ~$35

Hunt can be a damn spendy proposition, so if there is a practical, pragmatic way to mitigate some of that cost it is worth at least investigating.
Ok, I follow here. I have taken various Auguson, or similar brands freeze dried "survival foods", and repackaged them into meals by combining the vArious components. Try some combinations at home to discover what seasoning you need and also how much water you'll need as well.

You could also buy the prepackaged family type survival packs. They usually have half decent meals already assembled.

OP
U
Ok, I follow here. I have taken various Auguson, or similar brands freeze dried "survival foods", and repackaged them into meals by combining the vArious components. Try some combinations at home to discover what seasoning you need and also how much water you'll need as well.

You could also buy the prepackaged family type survival packs. They usually have half decent meals already assembled.
Thanks for the info.

TaperPin

WKR
I’ve happily eaten two dry ramen noodle packets for lunch - kind of like a crunchy cracker. 10 of these is 3500 calories - $5. 25 lbs of steel cut oats is $19 at Winco - enough for breakfast all week is maybe $1. Instant potatoes, gravy mix, instant stuffing, unsalted saltines, bagels, unsalted pretzels, GORP, dried fruit, and instant rice are dirt cheap. A $4 13 oz box of Kashi peanut butter cereal is 1400 calories and I would love to have a baggie of that stuff every day to snack on. I’ve even taken a couple $1 loaves of French bread to snack on. To conserve money I’ve eaten a lot of peanut butter sandwiches. Whole apples and oranges are heavy but a nice treat. Live big and grab a few cheap $5 summer sausages if money is no object. Grab a giant bag of kettle corn and divy it up - more calories than you’d think.

I could eat on $2 per day and gain weight, but thank goodness I don’t have to anymore.

j3h8

FNG
I’ve happily eaten two dry ramen noodle packets for lunch - kind of like a crunchy cracker. 10 of these is 3500 calories - $5. 25 lbs of steel cut oats is $19 at Winco - enough for breakfast all week is maybe $1. Instant potatoes, gravy mix, instant stuffing, unsalted saltines, bagels, unsalted pretzels, GORP, dried fruit, and instant rice are dirt cheap. A $4 13 oz box of Kashi peanut butter cereal is 1400 calories and I would love to have a baggie of that stuff every day to snack on. I’ve even taken a couple $1 loaves of French bread to snack on. To conserve money I’ve eaten a lot of peanut butter sandwiches. Whole apples and oranges are heavy but a nice treat. Live big and grab a few cheap $5 summer sausages if money is no object. Grab a giant bag of kettle corn and divy it up - more calories than you’d think.

I could eat on $2 per day and gain weight, but thank goodness I don’t have to anymore.
This man has known the budget and survived to talk about it. Proof that calories don't have to be glamorous.