Entry level thermal scope for varmints.

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I'm starting to look for a thermal scope for my .22. I have a lot of rabbits and raccoons that are obviously easier to "take care of" after dark. I'm thinking it would be pretty cool to get a thermal imaging scope for this. My issue is that I don't want to spend a fortune. My question is, are there any models out there for a reasonable price that are usable? Or do you really have to spend thousands to get something you can hunt with?

Wraith mini thermal......
IMG_0874.jpeg

kkp005

WKR
Don’t skimp out… you’ll be underwhelmed with anything less than a 384 resolution

The 384 is easily obtainable and like said above no reason to really go lower than that resolution.
There are new 384's under 2k and especially if you watch some of the used pages you can find some amazing deals as lrf is now a pretty standard option coming into play with all resolutions at most companies.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We are running an extra 10% off on already reduced sale pricing on all Refurbished Pulsar Nightvision and Thermals. You can get:

DIGEX N450 Digital Night Vision Riflescope reduced from $1,199.97 to only $949.99 then call in for an extra 10% off = only $854.99

DIGEX N455 Digital Night Vision Riflescope reduced from $1,199.97 to only $949.99 then call in for an extra 10% off = only $854.99

Digisight Ultra N455 Digital Night Vision Riflescope reduced from $1,299.97 to only $999.99 then call in for an extra 10% off = only $899.99

Digisight Ultra N455 LRF Digital Night Vision Rangefinding Riflescope reduced from $1,499.97 to only $1099.99 then call in for an extra 10% off = only $989.99

Take a Look at Full Inventory

OP
P

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
After doing some research I'm wondering if I should be looking for an IR night vision scope and not a thermal. The thing I have going for me is that I only need to see in my backyard, about 65 yards. I really like the look of the sightron mini, any other reviews on this one?

I've used cheap stuff and stuff I'm embarrassed to say how much I spent on it.. Pulsar is probably the lowest "quality" i would buy

After doing some research I'm wondering if I should be looking for an IR night vision scope and not a thermal. The thing I have going for me is that I only need to see in my backyard, about 65 yards. I really like the look of the sightron mini, any other reviews on this one?
I've seen good reviews on the SM Wraith. I would actually suggest something like that over a decent thermal because it will cost a lot less and work fine for your application.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
AGM Neith or even the Arken Zulus might fit your bill better than a lower end thermal. I have no experience with either, but videos online seem pretty decent especially for the price. I’ve thought about picking up one for a backup when friends join me.

OP
P

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
Wraith mini thermal......
IMG_0874.jpeg
Do you think that optic would be usable on a .22 bolt rifle without the swept back mount? I don't think that mount will work on the short pic rail I have. Is it possible to get close enough to the optic if it were mounted like a regular scope? I'm hoping it'd work given how small my .22 stock is.

Do you think that optic would be usable on a .22 bolt rifle without the swept back mount? I don't think that mount will work on the short pic rail I have. Is it possible to get close enough to the optic if it were mounted like a regular scope? I'm hoping it'd work given how small my .22 stock is.
The Wraith mini comes with a short rail clamp. I bought the cantilever base clamp because the eye relief was too long without it.
IMG_0699.jpeg

this pic does not have the rubber eyepiece attached, but you can see the base differences.

OP
P

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
The Wraith mini comes with a short rail clamp. I bought the cantilever base clamp because the eye relief was too long without it.
IMG_0699.jpeg

this pic does not have the rubber eyepiece attached, but you can see the base differences.
Yes, so my question is, is the optic usable at all if I were to mount it like you have it in this picture (without the aftermarket cantilever mount)? I don't think the swept back mount will fit on my short pic rail. I understand it's probably more comfortable with the swept back mount, but we're you able to use it at all with the factory provided mount?

Yes, so my question is, is the optic usable at all if I were to mount it like you have it in this picture (without the aftermarket cantilever mount)? I don't think the swept back mount will fit on my short pic rail. I understand it's probably more comfortable with the swept back mount, but were you able to use it at all with the factory provided mount?
I don’t have that exact setup. But it sucks trying to use it like that. Which is why a lot of companies are coming out with extended bases to mount on a bolt action.