Equipment versus practice posts and Rifle practice/shooting

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
Both. The 73gr ELD-M is good. Wide wound channels with sufficient penetration for deer/lopes. The 75gr HPBT is a penetrator. Kills well while going through bone. I prefer results when impact velocity is above 2,200fps with the HPBT.

What performance did you see within different velocity windows with the ELD? similar to your posts on the TMK?
My experience is limited to Berger 6.5 140 Elite Hunters, .308 168 ELDs, and 6.5 143 ELD-Xs.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Not as deep penetration with the 73gr ELD versus the 77gr TMK. It is sufficient however.

Reactions: Stu

Kmarkwardt

Lil-Rokslider
How would you modify these targets for home dry fire practice at like 5-10 yards? Make it 10-20% smaller?

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for the 10m focus/parallax on the SWFA.

Speaking of scopes.... Form, I noticed you challenge people on thinking they need parallax adjustment on low powered scopes (I would fall into this category) and it looks like you have your 6x SWFA parallax adjustment taped. I obviously have the 6x as shown in a previous post. I see parallax error in it at different distances if the adjustment is not made. I had a Nikon 3-9 that must have had its parallax set at 2 yards, because the reticle would practically wander off a 10" plate at 300 yards.
Is it your experience that the amount of error is minimal in practical use and gets lost in larger sources (i.e. wind)? Do you advocate using scope shadow to align your eye properly?
What am I missing?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Speaking of scopes.... Form, I noticed you challenge people on thinking they need parallax adjustment on low powered scopes

I have? I mean the lower the lower the less parallax is an issue and it’s definitely not something in a 6x scope I would loose sleep over, but I can’t remeber saying anything negative about it, since I use it.

It’s taped so that I can write the yardages atbtheyre correct spot. I have it marked in 100 yard increments to infinity. When hunting I turn it to 300 and leave it. At close range it doesn’t make much difference on game, and past 300 the error is small as well.

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
I have? I mean the lower the lower the less parallax is an issue and it’s definitely not something in a 6x scope I would loose sleep over, but I can’t remeber saying anything negative about it, since I use it.

It’s taped so that I can write the yardages atbtheyre correct spot. I have it marked in 100 yard increments to infinity. When hunting I turn it to 300 and leave it. At close range it doesn’t make much difference on game, and past 300 the error is small as well.
That totally makes sense, and I have tape on mine for actual adjustments that fit me as well. I thought your tape was to lock it down.

how about the 3-9? Does it not hamper your ability at longer ranges? Or is it just not an issue for your typical hunting ranges

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Don’t have any issues with PA on the 3-9x SS. Rifles wearing them get shot past 1,200m regularly without problem.

Last edited:
For String 2 what’s the starting position for each shot? The position from the shot prior or standing?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
For String 2 what’s the starting position for each shot? The position from the shot prior or standing?

Standing with backpack on and rifle as you carry it- so on a sling if that is how you carry it, or in hand, or strapped to pack.

Kmarkwardt

Lil-Rokslider
To clarify, you’re saying that every shot in the second string begins standing in full gear?

If so, is there a time limit given between the last shot and the next timer start?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
To clarify, you’re saying that every shot in the second string begins standing in full gear?

If so, is there a time limit given between the last shot and the next timer start?

Start standing all gear. On buzzer you have 20 seconds to fire two rounds. Stop.

Start standing with all gear. On buzzer you have 20 seconds to go to sitting unsupported and fire two shots. Stop.

Start standing with all gear. On buzzer you have 20 seconds to go to sitting supported (sticks or pack) and fire two shots. Stop.

Start standing with all gear. On buzzer you have 20 seconds to got to prone on pack and fire two shots.

It does not matter the time between positions.

Kmarkwardt

Lil-Rokslider
Start standing all gear. On buzzer you have 20 seconds to fire two rounds. Stop.

Start standing with all gear. On buzzer you have 20 seconds to go to sitting unsupported and fire two shots. Stop.

Start standing with all gear. On buzzer you have 20 seconds to go to sitting supported (sticks or pack) and fire two shots. Stop.

Start standing with all gear. On buzzer you have 20 seconds to got to prone on pack and fire two shots.

It does not matter the time between positions.

Thank you for the clarification. I had it all wrong!

tdot

WKR
Our local range is closed due to the Covis, and the first wild fire of the year is keeping me out of the closest valley that I could try this.

My next option is an area that I can shoot the 22lr at sub 75 yards, probably more like 50 yards. Any suggestions on how to modify these targets or ranges to suit my limitations?

Thanks