Equipment versus practice posts and Rifle practice/shooting

KClark

WKR
308. Bought it new to build a 6BR and broke my back before I could get it done. Round count is 40, have 2 for sure maybe 3 magazines.

Firth

FNG
I put these together for myself from Formidilosus' original, but I'm happy to share. I threw in a 25 yard version for airgun in my back yard, too. Airgun would be a little different having to pump the spring action so I have no idea how it will be for the timed runs, but I think imperfect practice will be an improvement over my usual no practice. Should find out tomorrow.

Attachments

• combined rimfire.pdf
    121.8 KB · Views: 117
  • combined_air rifle.pdf
    37.8 KB · Views: 38

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
No wind really helps. The targets still say I stink. Makes me appreciate Form knocking out a 17/20 with gusts of 25 mph.

IMG_4834.JPG

I also took Form's advice to train with dummy rounds and found that equally as enlightening. Highly recommended!

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any tips for improving offhand steadiness?

Trying to figure out of a highpower/olympic stance would be very practical with typical hunting gear on. I would assume it would considering bone support and NPA versus using muscles.

Thanks!

Reactions: Stu

Stu

Lil-Rokslider

Trying to figure out of a highpower/olympic stance would be very practical with typical hunting gear on.

I have the same question. I haven’t found that type of standing position to be more consistent, especially if there’s any wind at all, without a shooting jacket. Might be poor technique on my part. Looking forward to people’s replies.

Rich M

WKR
Try using your sling to tighten up your offhand shooting. Heck a decent sling will tighten up all shots and with practice won't slow you down.

When you start getting older and want to shoot offhand, a shooting stick is quick and convenient too.

Nothing really beats knowing your trigger and some confidence.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Stu,

👍.

Things a bish ain’t it.

Trying to figure out of a highpower/olympic stance would be very practical with typical hunting gear on. I would assume it would considering bone support and NPA versus using muscles.

Thanks!

So you can use a sling as Rich stated, however, I don’t usually have sling on hunting rifles, and there is the very real consequence of using a sling and creating torque. Almost everything I do is working towards neutral recoil. Instead I would suggest for most to learn to do it without the aid first. The highpower stance and grip can work, but it is difficult to achieve with a pack on. I shoot with an aggressive stance and grip (modern 3 Gun, trap, etc.).

Most misses are not due to technique or wobble. Most are due to flinching and anticipation. Training the flinch/anticipation is the first step.

koppertop

FNG
Stu mentions training with dummy rounds above which sounds like a great idea. I’m assuming they are mixed in with live rounds to show if you are flinching? Any ideas on how to accomplish this without a partner to load my mag?

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Stu mentions training with dummy rounds above which sounds like a great idea. I’m assuming they are mixed in with live rounds to show if you are flinching? Any ideas on how to accomplish this without a partner to load my mag?

Easy to do if you have detachable magazines. Load them differently, toss them in a bag and grab one blind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk