Ethics in hunting, the story of my once in a lifetime Buck....

Status
Not open for further replies.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Deer1screenshot.jpgDeer2screenshot.jpgDeer3screenshot.jpg
As of today it has been 164 days since I shot my buck of a lifetime. It was the culmination of a lot of hard work, good friends, and some luck. I couldn’t wait to tell this story to my Grandfather, who introduced me to hunting.

The next morning, I walked up the gut wrenching reality that deer had been harvested by another. Since then it has been a roller coaster of emotions, unfortunately most of them were bad. Only now do I feel some acceptance and comfort to finally tell my story outside my circle of trust.

Selfishly, my hope is that by telling my part of this Bucks story, it will result in my recovery of the deer.

Realistically, my hope is that this story will create a meaningful and impactful conversation amongst the hunting community about the importance of adhering to hunter ethics in the field. The preservation of ethical and legal hunting practices, the promotion of those who abide by them, and the demotion of those who don’t is key to preserving the future of our sport.

In the field we are competitors, we all want to harvest an animal of a lifetime. However, we cannot let that selfish need be our end goal. We need to collectively promote and adhere to a higher standard of ethical and moral behavior in our fight for the preservation of public land and the wild animals that live on it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
As of today it has been 164 days since I shot my buck of a lifetime.

The next morning, I walked up the gut wrenching reality that deer had been harvested by another.
This is confusing. You shot your buck of a lifetime, but the next morning you realized someone else harvested the deer you shot? Did you leave it overnight?????

This is confusing. You shot your buck of a lifetime, but the next morning you realized someone else harvested the deer you shot? Did you leave it overnight?????
My guess is he shot it with the camera and somebody killed it the next day knowing full well he was hunting the buck

BluMtn

WKR
I am guessing somebody got to it at first light and dinged it before the OP could get back to it. If so that sucks. Will have to wait for "as Paul Harvey used to say" the rest of the story.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
Unless trespassing, we each need to out-hunt all the other guys if we are making a magical claim on a buck or bull or billy or nanny that others have a tag in their pocket to also hunt. Don't get out-hustled if hustle is part of the game. If taking a picture is sufficient to own an animal on public land then color me amazed at that ownership claim strategy. What if you sleep in then can I shoot "your" buck at 10am? Or, is "your" buck off limits for the season? If you get distracted and the season ends but I have a tag for the late season then can I shoot or is this a lifetime claim?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My guess is he shot it with the camera and somebody killed it the next day knowing full well he was hunting the buck
Well, if it was public land........then it was public land.

A few years back I was bowhunting and working a bull with cows, and he was fired up. I worked that bull for 10-15 minutes when suddenly I heard a very close "boom". A ML hunter snuck in to the two screaming bulls and shot him. He rough taped out at 380" gross with huge mass. I was certainly disappointed, but the hunter had no idea I was there, and I had no idea they were there when they shot. Public land hunting.

Well, if it was public land........then it was public land.

A few years back I was bowhunting and working a bull with cows, and he was fired up. I worked that bull for 10-15 minutes when suddenly I heard a very close "boom". A ML hunter snuck in to the two screaming bulls and shot him. He rough taped out at 380" gross with huge mass. I was certainly disappointed, but the hunter had no idea I was there, and I had no idea they were there when they shot. Public land hunting.
Right but I imagine that’s where the ethics part comes into this. Speculation of course until he finishes his story

Status
Not open for further replies.