Etolin Island, AK Elk Hunt

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider
I find myself very interested in this hunt despite how miserable the conditions can be in SEAK and how difficult logistically it would be to get in and out. Does anyone on here have experience with the hunt and would be willing to share some thoughts/info on logistics, animal sightings/numbers, topography, bear encounters, stuff like that? Could share via PM or via this thread, whatever, if you don't want to share info with the masses.

Thanks in advance.

Beendare

WKR
I've been on Etolin multiple times hunting bears........Elk, thats got to be a tough hunt.

I can't imagine hunting it on foot....maybe if hunting from a boat.

IMO, The best strategy would be to barge a side by side over there so you can access areas with elk.....

ramses342

FNG
I live in SE and I know a number of people who have done it. The general consensus is that is a TOUGH hunt. I read up on it a while ago and the guy doing the write up had a buddy who was a dall sheep guide who said it was one of the toughest hunts he had ever done. Its physically really hard because supposedly it has loads and loads of cliffs. I have done my fair share of SE Alaska Alpine hunts and that one intimidates me. What I have heard basically if you go from a boat it is crazy hard but not to expensive, I personally would only do this option if I had four or five guys to go with. If you go from a float plane into an alpine lake it is much more doable but way more expensive. I personal put in for Afognak elk, I had two buddies who did that one last year and both were successful. Also for Alaska hunts looking at the Alaska Outdoors Supersite forums seems to be a much better place to get information from what I have seen.

SteveOtt

FNG
I have family in Wrangell so getting to the Etolin shore would be a cheap/easy option. Might have to consider chartering a float plane though. Any shore to alpine hunt in SEAK is TOUGH. Add a 500# pack out and they turn insane.

The Alaskan Bowhunter Association has this permit for auction at our Banquet in April. It usually goes pretty cheap. If anyone is interested in it, you do not have to be present to bid, just contact any of us board members and we can help you out with a phone bid. Hopefully this information can help someone land the permit if unsuccessful in the draw.

Guy from POW I know killed one up there years ago, a giant bull. He took the whole wrestling team over to pack it off. That guy is an animal, has killed some of the best BTs I know on POW, when he said it was tough, for a lower 48 guy, that means get your depends on.

OP
abbrown

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider
The Alaskan Bowhunter Association has this permit for auction at our Banquet in April. It usually goes pretty cheap. If anyone is interested in it, you do not have to be present to bid, just contact any of us board members and we can help you out with a phone bid. Hopefully this information can help someone land the permit if unsuccessful in the draw.
Hi Nick,
Probably a dumb question I already know the answer to given it's coming from the ABA, but I'll ask anyway: that would be an archery-only DE318 hunt auctioned off? Or could it be the 321/323 option for all weapons? Thanks.

Good morning,

The permit we have for auction is Etolin Island Elk (SE315), which means I think and I will confirm, that you can hunt all of the seasons available with whatever weapon is specified for that particular season.

Thanks,

Nick

Hi Nick,
Probably a dumb question I already know the answer to given it's coming from the ABA, but I'll ask anyway: that would be an archery-only DE318 hunt auctioned off? Or could it be the 321/323 option for all weapons? Thanks.

Here is what the auction permit coordinator with fish and game said for the permit.

"Yes, the hunter can pick any of the seasons, however they have to abide by the stipulations of the draw permit season they’re hunting. For example, if they choose to hunt during the DE318 season, then they must be a certified bowhunter and are limited to archery only hunting. If they go during the DE323 season, then they must abide by those permit stipulations. But they can absolutely hunt any or all of those seasons. Basically, this is an attempt to try and make this permit more coveted and allow some flexibility for people who may have the opportunity to attempt both an archery hunt and a rifle hunt. The bag limit will remain as one (1) elk so once the hunter shoots an elk, regardless of the season, the hunt is over."

OP
abbrown

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider
Here is what the auction permit coordinator with fish and game said for the permit.

"Yes, the hunter can pick any of the seasons, however they have to abide by the stipulations of the draw permit season they’re hunting. For example, if they choose to hunt during the DE318 season, then they must be a certified bowhunter and are limited to archery only hunting. If they go during the DE323 season, then they must abide by those permit stipulations. But they can absolutely hunt any or all of those seasons. Basically, this is an attempt to try and make this permit more coveted and allow some flexibility for people who may have the opportunity to attempt both an archery hunt and a rifle hunt. The bag limit will remain as one (1) elk so once the hunter shoots an elk, regardless of the season, the hunt is over."
Hi Nick,

Wow awesome, thanks for the further info. That makes things much more appealing.

OP
abbrown

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider
Did anyone on this thread end up drawing this tag? Anyone looking for a packer/glasser/bear defender?

OP
abbrown

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider
I drew the late season hunt. It is the first tag of my life so I am feeling a bit overwhelmed.
Good luck man! Wish I could be of more help, but I'm still waiting for my chance. I'd really appreciate if you'd write up a hunt report on here after your season, however it ends up.