Euro Needs Further Cleaning??

TX_Diver

WKR
Was fortunate enough to take an elk this year and after getting home I am noticing that the euro has some meat in it still and doesn't look super well cleaned out inside the nasal passages. The brain cavity is clean.

I rode awhile with him in the back seat and didn't notice any smell, but if you get right up to the skull it definitely has a strong scent.

What's the best way to finish this off and get all the meat out? Do I need to simmer w/ some peroxide of dish soap or is there anything simpler since I'm not trying to get massive quantities of meat out.

a1gnqiOh.jpg

sdR03tbh.jpg

XvWIO13h.jpg

I also need to better clean a skull plate from a small buck I shot (the processor did this one free and the brain was well cleaned off and bleached).
Deer skull plate outside. I'd like to keep the velvet as much as possible. I will get some 40V from the store this week to whiten the cap too.
cG0brCth.jpg

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Got home yesterday and it had definitely stunk up the room it was in.

Back in the garage til I figure out what to do with it this weekend now.

EdP

WKR
Google how to do a euro mount. It will involve boiling with detergent and further cleaning. OxyClean is what I used and it worked for me.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
That’s my plan for the weekend. Just wasn’t sure if there was anything simpler 👍

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Boil it a while with some 20 mule team borax in the water. Should turn all the soft matter into a jello-like consistency. If still persistent, hit it with the pressure washer.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Simmered it with some dish soap for an hour over the weekend then hit it with a hose and a small pick to try and get the meat out. The nasal passages had already been destroyed by the taxidermist so I was pretty aggressive. I'd simmer it, pick at it, rinse it, then repeat 3 cycles or so. I got a decent amount out but it still has a pretty faint smell to it. It's sitting outside a few days and then I'll bring it in and see how it does. If it doesn't stink anymore I'll whiten it and re-hang it.

Is there anything else I should try or does the 40 volume cream help with the smell also?

JeffP_Or

WKR
Simmered it with some dish soap for an hour over the weekend then hit it with a hose and a small pick to try and get the meat out. ....

Is there anything else I should try or does the 40 volume cream help with the smell also?

I'm working on one now - mature mule deer. Honestly, I am two days into simmering with dawn and many rinses/water changes. The amount of grease and cartilage that continues to come out is amazing. I do not use a pressure washer.
Popping the ear buds helps too. I have several that I cut the bottom of the skull off in true European style - that helps a lot as well as it removes the ear bud and some of the heavy bone and sinuses.
One hour won't do it IMO.
The whitener will not alter the smell or amount of grease from what I have experienced.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
I'm working on one now - mature mule deer. Honestly, I am two days into simmering with dawn and many rinses/water changes. The amount of grease and cartilage that continues to come out is amazing. I do not use a pressure washer.
Popping the ear buds helps too. I have several that I cut the bottom of the skull off in true European style - that helps a lot as well as it removes the ear bud and some of the heavy bone and sinuses.
One hour won't do it IMO.
The whitener will not alter the smell or amount of grease from what I have experienced.
Just did 3rd cleaning. Found another cranny in back that had a little bit of meat. Hope this is the final time!!!

FlareBlitz91

Lil-Rokslider
Similar question. I’m doing my own and I’ve simmered this mature buck for a long time, first with baking soda and then dawn. I don’t want the bones to get too fragile and everything has cleaned up pretty well except for some persistent areas within the sinuses.

I’ve tried jetting in there with a hose as well to no avail. Ideally I’d like to keep those nasal bones intact as i like the look but i don’t want to have a stinky mount either.
71E6F7A4-23FC-42E8-A65F-A8760FA23A99.jpeg

Laramie

WKR
Reading this makes me appreciate the $100 I spend to have mine done perfectly. Kudo to you guys for doing it.

BadEarth

Lil-Rokslider
After years of doing my own elk deer and antelope euros, by biggest things I learned and now do are:

- Clean off as much meat, eyes, fat, etc. after you skin it. The cleaner from the start the better the finish.

- After skinning the head, soak in a bucket of water fully covering the skull until you boil. Might be a day, or two weeks. However long until I have the time to boil. Keeping things wet makes a huge difference. Once things start to dry is when they get difficult to remove.

- Boil with dish soap. I use a full 16-20 oz bottle per skull. The amount of grease that comes out during the boil is unreal. But since doing this, I haven’t had to whiten because with all the grease gone it comes out so white. I’ve tried oxy clean but noticed if the bases are in the water it’ll turn them white, soap won’t.

- Heat your water to a low boil. Where you have light bubbles rolling up, not a raging boil. High heat can lock grease in the skull.

Usually after 4-8 hours I pressure wash it good with an electric washer (lower pressure to avoid blowing anything apart). Oh and pulling the ear sockets before you pressure wash helps get all the meat out from that back side of skull. Mine have been coming out amazing. Usually only 5 minutes of pressure washing and they’re clean.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Originally a taxidermist did this so I'm picking up where he left off.

Anyone have a pic showing exactly what the ear sockets are? I think that's where I am still struggling to get some junk out of. The smell is gone from the nasal cavity (which originally stunk) but the brain cavity still has a rotten smell albeit fainter.

I was hoping to not have to boil again but looks like I may need to. I've been using Arm/Hammer super washing soda (similar to borax) and dish soap and simmering it around 180-190 degrees ish.

TSAMP

WKR
I generally follow the grease removal procedure highlighted in many posts above, but once I'm as far along as the OP is, I don't want to get it wet again. It stinks even worse.

I prefer to work with it dried out and use a small dremmel and wire wheel to clean out the tiny crevices and misc bits. I wear a faceshield and weld jacket. It gets everywhere.

Whiten it in the sun a few days then check back. I'd only dunk it again as a last resort.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
I generally follow the grease removal procedure highlighted in many posts above, but once I'm as far along as the OP is, I don't want to get it wet again. It stinks even worse.

I prefer to work with it dried out and use a small dremmel and wire wheel to clean out the tiny crevices and misc bits. I wear a faceshield and weld jacket. It gets everywhere.

Whiten it in the sun a few days then check back. I'd only dunk it again as a last resort.
Interesting. Maybe I'll try to find a small bottle brush and see if that helps. I've tried all kinds of picks, pliers, screwdrivers, unfolded paperclips, etc. with some level of success, but apparently haven't done the trick yet.

BadEarth

Lil-Rokslider
Here is one with and one without. After a couple hours of boiling stick a screwdriver in that hole and they should pop out pretty easy

Attachments

• IMG_3768.jpeg
    IMG_3768.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3767.jpeg
    IMG_3767.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3769.jpeg
    IMG_3769.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 17

manitou1

WKR
Similar question. I’m doing my own and I’ve simmered this mature buck for a long time, first with baking soda and then dawn. I don’t want the bones to get too fragile and everything has cleaned up pretty well except for some persistent areas within the sinuses.

I’ve tried jetting in there with a hose as well to no avail. Ideally I’d like to keep those nasal bones intact as i like the look but i don’t want to have a stinky mount either.
View attachment 621579
I use long hemostats and long needle nose pliers and grab that, twist, and pull out.
It is a pain to try and get the meat and cartilage sans the frail bone.
You can fight, scrape, reboil until the teeth are falling out and the skull begins to separate.
I have done a lot od skulls. I used to try and preserve all that but no more. Not worth it.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Here is one with and one without. After a couple hours of boiling stick a screwdriver in that hole and they should pop out pretty easy
Thanks. Think those are gone but will double check when home.

There is a difference between the Left and Right sides in that one has some more bone inside blocking a little channel. Thought I was able to pick everything out but guess not.

Think a small pipe/bottle brush is going to be my ticket to success on this now.

TSAMP

WKR
I use long hemostats and long needle nose pliers and grab that, twist, and pull out.
It is a pain to try and get the meat and cartilage sans the frail bone.
You can fight, scrape, reboil until the teeth are falling out and the skull begins to separate.
I have done a lot od skulls. I used to try and preserve all that but no more. Not worth it.
I use one of those marking flags they stick in your yard after they paint underground lines. Bend a hook on one end and go at it from both ends.

Attachments

• 20231103_131911.jpg
    20231103_131911.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 12