Euro Needs Further Cleaning??

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Similar question. I’m doing my own and I’ve simmered this mature buck for a long time, first with baking soda and then dawn. I don’t want the bones to get too fragile and everything has cleaned up pretty well except for some persistent areas within the sinuses.

I’ve tried jetting in there with a hose as well to no avail. Ideally I’d like to keep those nasal bones intact as i like the look but i don’t want to have a stinky mount either.
View attachment 621579

a guy who did one years ago for me and did a great job (including leaving the nasal cavity stuff in) recommended simmering with this and just rinsing it out with a hose afterwards (no pressure washer required)

I did for my second round on this head and it made a big difference as to how easily stuff came out. The area I'm fighting now is one I wasn't able to get into the pot.

I would let the head soak til the remaining stuff is rehydrated then id do what I do for all heads.

Low boil with Sal Soda and a few drops of dish soap will clean any head up nicely. While still wet use a wire brush to scrape out the stuff that doesn’t fall off readily.

Since it’s just a little bit in small crevices it won’t take much or long at all.

I don’t ever use a pressure washer as it destroys all the delicate stuff. I learned all this from a euro mount kit from a taxidermy supplier and now just keep a stock of sal soda on hand as it works better than any other chemical or product people use.

Mojave

WKR
Boiling is a lot more work than masceration, but I use both.

I prefer masceration, but I don't like the smell. It seems to take a long time to get the smell out of them. I cover the skull in a bucket of dry baking soda where it is packed in after I finish masceration to get rid of the smell.

Boiling it is a lot of work. On a big animal like an elk, moose or bison boiling is even harder.