Evaluate this 'group'

IDHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I'm working up a new load for a new rifle. I loaded rounds at 64, 64.5,65, 65.5, & 66 grains. Shot the first at 64 and worked my way up looking for pressure signs and there none on any of them. I was surprised to see that the 64/65/66 grain charges all shot with each other. Does this tell me anything? Is there any other information that these shots would tell me before I start loading rounds for groups?

Rifle - Sauer 100 - 7mm Rem Mag
Brass - Norma
Primer - Fed 215 GM
Powder - H1000
Bullet - 160 gr Accubond - .050 off the lands
20230813_104646.jpg

OP
I

IDHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider

Small sample noise. Give this a watch/listen and then test again.
I understand bigger sample size is better. I was not shooting for groups. I was simply looking for pressure signs on 5 different powder charges and 3 of them happened to shoot right next to each other. Maybe it doesn't mean a damn thing?

I was only asking if this means that I'm in the right ballpark as far as this gun liking this particular bullet, powder, seating depth etc. and if it looks like it might be a good combo to tinker with.

I loaded for my buddy’s 7 mm.
H1000 and 168 gr Bergers were awesome so I think you have a decent combo.
Questions….
Was this at 100 yards?
Is barrel broken in yet?
Barrel is free floated when it’s hot?
Can you get your seating depth closer to .020” off or are you limited by mag length?

I would personally take off your
scope to verify that your scope base is not loose and moving. Now is the time to check this before you shoot for groups IMHO.

You say you haven’t hit pressure yet. It’s possible your sweet spot might be higher than or near 65.5 grains. Continue your pressure tests at 65.5 and above until you find pressure. The Berger manual shows H1000 and 158 grain bullets at a max load of 69.5 grains of powder. You have a ways to go.

wapitibob

WKR
Care to elaborate? From many accounts the 160 Accubond is one of the best bullets in a 7 RM and H1000 is one of the best powders to load under it.

My experience is with a 7stw and 2nd hand info with 28 Nosler, both very close to your caliber; n570 and Berger 195’s was the magic sauce. I had results similar to yours with accubonds and/or h1000 over the years in the stw.
For your powder/bullet I’d shoot 3 shot groups in 1/2gr increments to take the shooter out of it and look at the vertical spread. If it’s going to work one or two of them will have limited vertical in my opinion. You could then go .2-.3 either side to fine tune. The magic combo shouldn’t take much tuning, you’ll see it with the initial 3 shot groups. Not to say you can’t make it shoot but these magnum barrels only have so many shots in them.

Rob5589

WKR
Care to elaborate? From many accounts the 160 Accubond is one of the best bullets in a 7 RM and H1000 is one of the best powders to load under it.
Both should work well and are well vetted . You just need more data is all. I'd pick one that provides you with a velocity you're comfortable with, load 10-15, and see where you're at.

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
The combo is fine. Run it up higher. You should start seeing magic around 69 grains