Help assessing a 300 PRC please

Been loading maybe 38 years. Doesn't mean I am right. Have pretty decent equipment. Anneal. Neck Bushings. Co-Ax blah blah blah.

I am a Lefty so I simply cannot slum the latest and greatest rig. I put a ton of eggs in one basket and bought a CA Ridgeline in 300 PRC and swung for a NF NX8 4-32.

Due to lack of components I have really streamlined my powders. I have many pounds of each of these 3: XBR 8082, H4350, and H1000. So the old days to toying with powders and burn rates are over. But I don't really think that's the issue.

I am streamlining bullets as well. The Grail Berger 215s may be trickling in, but I've lost the desire to wait for a Notify Me ping with card in hand 24/7.

I've been shooting some Hornady 212 ELD-Xs. The issue is what seems like way over pressure. Primers are fine. But I get double ejector mark stamps on my cases. And I am way under book max. Like 4 grains? I am way off the lands. Like .050" Shot 76 grains H1000. Had to use two hands to get the bolt to lift. Down to 75 grains. Still iffy. I've chrono'd some loads prior. A Berger 210 VLD (which I have a few of) or the Hornady 212 ELD are running in the pitiful 2760fps range.

In general... WTF?

I have new Lapua brass. It's kinda sticky 4 grains under as well. Is this a potential headspace issue?

My dies are simple Hornady red box for this gun, as I have no begged Larry to sell me a single, full length, bushing die. But I am not certain a loading die is the issue.

I have NOT shot any factory through this rifle. For $80 a box of 20....I was able to buy a box of Hornady bullets and a complete set of dies.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Diagnosing a similar issue with a buddy, Christensen chambered in 28 Nosler. Christensens are prone to ejector marks if you do some searching you'll see that question asked a lot. The bolt lift however, that's an indicator she's spicy.

The questions from a gunsmith were - have you inspected the throat area for carbon ring? Can you drop a bullet into a fired case? Is this in new brass, or fired and resized? How much did the fired cases grow?

Not exactly the same but I’ve been loading for a friends 257 Roberts this past winter. Tried a few bullets and powders and no matter what I had stiff to stuck bolt lift and flat flat flat primers at minimum loads and pitiful speeds.
I fought that for quite awhile, knew I had brass sized to chamber with a stripped bolt, then one day decided I was going to try bumping back way off the lands.
Well I stepped back in some big jumps and one of those started shooting normal.
Best I can figure is it had a throat configuration or bullet/throat combo that I couldn’t feel when I was in the lands.

Chaos1

FNG
Classified Approved
Not sure you found a solution but I had same problems. I rented the AW2 reamer from this site and problem solved. They use a very tight reamer at Christensen. Unfortunately for me I just can’t get the thing to group worth a crap

OP
J
I've been messing w this rifle again this week. I really had to check the head space set up on my dies. Running almost no shoulder bump or .0015 ish. Way under book max charges. Like several grains. Had some decent accuracy. Going to attempt to reproduce it today.

I bought some factory Hornady Precision Hunter. 212 ELD-X. Shot really warm 2947fps. Grouped well. I simply can't replicate it. I streamlined all my loading. I only buy 3 powders. H1000 isn't getting it done in the 300 PRC. I can get to 2820fps. And that's with some ejector smear. Primers look fine. But ejector is starting to smear and flow. Always has with this rifle.

Been back and forth with Christensen. They have yet to offer to take it back. Want 100 photos and video etc. Simply telling them I don't think it's "Right" isn't working.

aman

FNG
Have you tried 300 PRC go/no go gauges to check the headspace?

aman

FNG
I would tell CA that if you pay for gauges and the check fails then you would expect them to reimburse you for the cost. Or they can just check the rifle themselves.

Chaos1

FNG
Classified Approved
I do have the go/ no go gauges and they work as intended. Get the AW2 Reamer. You can do it right through the action. I actually removed the barrel. It stopped all the binding issues. Very easy process. You can’t go wrong. Now whether their barrels can group
Is a different subject. The warranty department told me to return it for a check but they wanted me to go through an FFL. It’s my rifle not changing hands so I’d be damn if I’m paying ffl Very disappointed in their product