Exaggerated numbers in the backcountry. Is everyone full of it?

It's a dick measuring contest. Since EVERY bull is 300" now, it has become about how far away from the vehicle you were when you packed it out. I always find it comical because I use stock and have a hard time understanding why guys would make themselves so miserable doing something that's a vacation for me. The "I packed my bull out 10 miles solo in 80 degree heat on my back" stories I see make me smile. Sure you did Shirley, that BS will get you that prostaff spot next year, without a doubt.

Randle

WKR
I heard something years ago that goes .like this " Men fudge MPG numbers and women fudge weight numbers" I guess this fits in the mileage numbers category.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
My guess is who cares in the big picture. There are hundreds of people on all these forums that are “backcountry hunters” only on the key board in their moms basement. You can usually tell who they are and it doesn’t affect my hunting one bit. Those same guys talk the talk, brag and boast, but for some strange reason never post a pic of a harvested animal.

GregB

WKR
The last elk I shot was 10 miles in (2miles), packed it out solo, got chased by bears and wolves (saw bear poop), and it was a solid 320" (5x5 no idea what it would score, but not a lot).And by the way I have moved out of my parents basement now. True story.

It’s interesting how many guys “plan” that for there first hunt. “Me and my 2 buddies have all been doing training hikes 30 miles with 70lb sandbag 2 times a week and sleeping in our tp out back with the stove etc to make sure we are prepared for our backcountry experience. We are going to drive out from Tampa in September and we have a basin picked out that’s 9 miles in we are going to set up camp and hunt the area for 7-8 days. My only question is how far from where you hunt do you like to set up camp? Is it ok if you can glass from camp? Oh and seriously of course I’ll do my own research and don’t need anyone’s honeyhole butnif anyone wants to pm me annares or unit that would work for that and is otc thanks”

KHNC

WKR
My guess is who cares in the big picture. There are hundreds of people on all these forums that are “backcountry hunters” only on the key board in their moms basement. You can usually tell who they are and it doesn’t affect my hunting one bit. Those same guys talk the talk, brag and boast, but for some strange reason never post a pic of a harvested animal.
BUT, dont forget they usually have a podcast.

TheCougar

WKR
It’s just the day and age of internet hunting. People are more concerned about looking like they are a great hunter than actually being a great hunter. People get their self-worth from the number of likes and followers they have.

Last edited:

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
The last elk I shot was 10 miles in (2miles), packed it out solo, got chased by bears and wolves (saw bear poop), and it was a solid 320" (5x5 no idea what it would score, but not a lot).And by the way I have moved out of my parents basement now. True story.

Haha I got a laugh outta that one

Anyway the other thing that I think people don’t realize is what the actual distances they are walking are. People think they hiked 5 miles because they don’t know what 5 miles actually is. When in fact
They only walked a mile

Btaylor

WKR
It’s interesting how many guys “plan” that for there first hunt. “Me and my 2 buddies have all been doing training hikes 30 miles with 70lb sandbag 2 times a week and sleeping in our tp out back with the stove etc to make sure we are prepared for our backcountry experience. We are going to drive out from Tampa in September and we have a basin picked out that’s 9 miles in we are going to set up camp and hunt the area for 7-8 days. My only question is how far from where you hunt do you like to set up camp? Is it ok if you can glass from camp? Oh and seriously of course I’ll do my own research and don’t need anyone’s honeyhole butnif anyone wants to pm me annares or unit that would work for that and is otc thanks”

Those guys arent gonna kill crap and are not prepared for the suck. If they want to really step it up, you should have them follow my new Peak Punisher program. Pretty much we, we do a full Murph between each stage of the Iron Mans we run every saturday morning. That and get you some 60 grit for the orbital sander so you can properly manscape.

A lot of it grates on my nerves- like- all these tough mudders and mountain warriors etc- just don’t know. Like in my mind if you’ve never buddy carried a casualty a click or 10 to a medevac at 10,000 feet while taking contact- you really don’t know or understand what “hardcore mountain warrior” is. And I can go on and on regarding what is “extreme” and “challenging” as opposed to “fun” and “easy” it’s all a matter of perspective and most guys haven’t got much and haven’t seen much.

But if I let myself go down that road I turn into a shitty guy to be around so I mainly let it go and try to let those guys enjoy themselves and the image they have cultivated- even if it’s based on phantasy and a really limited view and short list of life experiences

netman

WKR
If you pay attention you’ll notice it’s the Kifaru fanboys who do all the exaggeration. When you see pictures of Erin and posse posing for the cameras and all are rocking sleeveless T-shirts and the almighty FLAT BRIMMED HAT it makes you wonder what the hell is going on out there. Just kidding...
I know this. My buddy who I grew up with in Indiana moved to Colorado about 18 years ago after getting a divorce. When I retired he invited me out to elk hunt Colorado during muzzleloader season.
He had started a new job and would not be able to hunt with me during the week but would hunt with me on the weekends. He gave me a gps location of where he had killed many elk and said to be in this spot before shooting hours. I asked how far of a walk and how much time it would take.
He was not sure on the distance but told me to figure at least four hour walk in.
I got to this spot at exactly shooting hours and had a 5x5 chase four cows past me . I shot one of the cows. I had a cow only tag.
Now the point of my story is... On my own without my buddy’s guidance I would have NEVER walked that far to hunt, period. That walk in taught me to look at a bigger picture.
Unfortunately I did not recover that cow. So I walked to that area every day of muzzleloader season and even further back to a saddle.
It was all uphill going in and all downhill coming out.
I was leaving my camp at 0230 hrs. I was on elk. Not once did I see another hunter except at the trailhead. This is a popular unit in Colorado.
It’s a death march just to get to the elk.
Lesson I learned walking all these miles was I’m willing to do whatever it takes to get on elk.
So when I see people putting in the miles I believe them because I’m 55 yoa and a heart attack survivor and you can believe I will lay down the mileage to be on elk.
Whatever it takes!

jspradley

WKR
That and get you some 60 grit for the orbital sander so you can properly manscape.

60 grit? What a puss....

The exaggeration kills me... It's really bad here in the land of feeders and petting zoo freaks.

I have two nice deer I shot on a vendor's ranch as a business trip type deal, they are in my living room as euros, if anyone asks about them I don't make up some story about how I "hunted hard" for them and how badass I am, I tell them I sat in a box, waited for the feeder to go off and shot them at 100 yards because that's literally how it happened.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Anyway the other thing that I think people don’t realize is what the actual distances they are walking are. People think they hiked 5 miles because they don’t know what 5 miles actually is. When in factThey only walked a mile

With all the GPS's and smartphones with GPS apps out there, there is no reason that someone shouldn't know or have a pretty good idea how far they've gone. I would have had no idea until a couple years ago, when I left my GPS on every time I went out for the entire season. That was eye-opening.

Heck, with all the guys that complain about foot issues and boot fit, I'm surprised any of them are hiking more than a mile each day.

Last edited:
So what if they did post the pic. What does that change? LOL

I guess "long range hunting" is distance from a road now.

What always cracks me up is the guys that say they were 7 miles back in a state where there isn't a single spot on the map that is more than 4-5 miles from a road. LOL

But I don't get worked up about any of it. If someone wants to tell a good story, let 'em. Maybe they will listen to yours someday. ;)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What always cracks me up is the guys that say they were 7 miles back in a state where there isn't a single spot on the map that is more than 4-5 miles from a road. LOL

You could be 7 miles back from where you hiked in from, and be standing on the road. And actually, I do that every now and then.........because I left one truck on that road and drove around to the other side and hunted my way to that truck. Shhhhh.