Exo K3 4800 Pack System Review ***Updated 2/10/20***

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I’m looking at the exo 3200 and SG 3300. I prefer the features, access to load shelf without undoing load lifters, and pocket configuration of the exo. Does the exo allow you to get a game bag full of say deboned meat high and tight like the included SG load shelf? Or do you need to buy the exo crib load panel?
I was able to keep loads high with the lower horizontal compression strap. I would just push the game bag up and tighten it if I didn't have a full load.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I just got my K3 4800. There is a huge difference in the “cushion” of the lumbar pad and hip belt compared to my current KUIU packs. The KUIU packs have never been that comfortable to me and this K3 looks like it will be great!

caochs

FNG
I've been using the exo bags on a Kifaru frame the last 2 seasons and it works perfectly. Best of both worlds IMO, you get the light weight and simple exo bags with the durability and comfort of the Kifaru frame/belt/lumbar pad.
Mike. I want to do the same thing but curious how you are attaching meat or training weight.

+1 on all the above. My hunt is a little over a year away but I'd sure like to be sure about my pack before I go. This discussion has been immensely helpful. Are there any forums out there on how you get out of the dog house after buying a $700 backpack?

Haha. They sell the bag and frame separately for the same price as the combo. Order the bag now, show her while she’s distracted with something else, then shove it in the closet and don’t speak of it again. A few months later, order the frame and clip it together. When she asks just tell her you’ve had if awhile, remember?

My wife and I have a sub $500 don’t ask/don’t tell policy, as long as finances allow, but we don’t use it regularly.

Tick

WKR
Has anyone found a male end auto lock buckle that would fit the female end sewn on the bag? Seems like a standard buckle size. I am wanting to stop the center rear compression straps from slipping.

choovhntr

WKR
You could always just cut a notch out of the female buckle where it attaches and replace the whole assembly. Essentially making it a split bar buckle. Just remember to cut the bar at about a 45 degree angle for ease of removal and reattachment if needed. I’ve done this with bino harnesses and other gear. Works great plus it’ll give you spare buckles in case any others break in the future.

Last edited:

choovhntr

WKR
You could always just cut a notch out of the female buckle where it attaches and replace the whole assembly. I’ve done this with bino harnesses and other gear. Works great plus it’ll give you spare buckles in case any others break in the future.

Here is another option if you can’t find a split bar auto lock...
4f0491d3e73b6eadb5cc004fc0bbe02c.png

WesCAtoll

Lil-Rokslider
I started looking at the 1800 for a day pack. Now I've moved up to the 3200. Trying to find cheaper options for a first framed bag...but if the "cheap" options are in the 450 (MR pintler?) range cry once? At 5'6 130 on a heavy day is there anything comparable for comfort ?
I've done as much research as I can in corona times and just having trouble pulling the trigger on it

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Having just got my 4800 and was previously rocking the 1800. I was previously looking at just getting the 3200, but decided against it after seeng a 4800 in person. \skip the 1800/3200 bags and just get the 4800. It has the best layout of all their packs, the horse shoe zippering is where it is at if you ask me, plus you can compress the bag down for day trips/hunts (making it basically an 1800) or open it up and jam 5-7 days of food in the bag with your hunting kit.

I'm still dealing in the frame and trying to figure out what loops I like to use best for the shoulder straps. Sadly I just found out the frame length is adjustable which will probably solve my problem and will make the adjustment tomorrow and try it out on a 5km hike.

How is the lid working on the k3? I talked to a guy who has one and his top of frame lid straps keep going to the outside of the frame and the lid then settles down. Did he not have the straps tight enough? It seems like I might of had that issue some on my k2 at one point but I think I fixed it by strap adjustment. I don't have a k3 yet, waiting on it to show up. Curious if anyone is familiar with what I'm talking about.