Exo K3 6400 Pack System Review, By Jon Troxell

kind of hard to do a review if your already sold on something? im in the market though so checking it out.

JNDEER

WKR
@Jon Boy

finally someone who has had all the packs. Question: I loved the mobility of the gen 1 and felt the k2 really lacked in that aspect. For extreme elk loads on uneven ground the k2 was better- but average weight the gen1 moved with you much better. Do you feel the k3 as far as twisting movement is more like the gen1 or the k2 or a blend?

CO-AJ

WKR
I bought this exact same pack about 2 months ago and thus far it has exceeded all expectations. I have not owned many packs prior to this one and definitely not one of this size. My other two packs are between 2500-3000ci and are both Eberlestock. I compared a ton of packs before making my decision and it really came down to the Exo, Kifaru, and Seek Outside. What sold me on the Exo was the company's customer service, the stacked pockets on the sides especially the tall one. Also the top and front access with easy access to the bladder storage pouch. Mostly it seemed very versatile, able to pack down for a day hike or expand out for a 7 day stay in the backcountry. Fit and finish of the pack are top notch and of course it is made in the USA. This was a great review.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
kind of hard to do a review if your already sold on something? im in the market though so checking it out.

Not really. Jon has used many packs and has been happy with the earlier models of Exo packs. That doesn't mean he automatically will like everything about this pack.

Remember that most of our staff and writers can use any gear from any brand they choose. To me, an opinion from someone like that carries weight.

Jon Boy

WKR
@Jon Boy

finally someone who has had all the packs. Question: I loved the mobility of the gen 1 and felt the k2 really lacked in that aspect. For extreme elk loads on uneven ground the k2 was better- but average weight the gen1 moved with you much better. Do you feel the k3 as far as twisting movement is more like the gen1 or the k2 or a blend?
I know exactly what you mean with the first gen. Unfortunately I'd say the k3 is more like a k2. I will say the hip belt and chest strap are an upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jon Boy

WKR
I hope you found some useful insite in my article. I didn't put in my review that my two primary hunting partners run a kifaru and a stone glacier. I have had extensive experience with both. I have never liked the weight of the kifarus (however they have an awesome frame) and I much prefer the layout and frame of the exo to the stone glacier, and always have. Beyond those three I dont think there are many remotely comparable packs, especially in the expedition size packs.

I will also say I wish you knew me a little bit better as you'd know I'm far from a fan boy. I own one single garment of clothing that is made by hunting company at this point and have a plethora of outdoor gear from various companies and dump gear at will that doesn't make the cut. At this point the exo is making the cut and beats out other options in mind. That could change down the road.

Well to address the quotes above let me say I stand by my comment and in the OP's words "Jon has been a FAN of EXO for years"
I read the title which brought my mind to my quote. Such as the internet will do if you don't know someone a quote can be taken the wrong way, this is why the second comment that I would still be giving it a chance at helping me decide my future purchase.
I know you guys and most folks testing gear have used tons of systems and have good insight therefore why I would click and read further. Thanks for taking the time and effort to put this out for consumers benefit .
Currently I have this EXO pack and the Kifaru lite frame with a Fulcrum bag both of which do not belong to me but I will be testing. I am most likely going to purchase for myself one of the Stone Glacier packs and then like many have said I should know for sure which one fits me the best. I am coming from 3 years of using a Cabelas XPG pack which replaced a Kelty Red cloud so any of the 3 will be a major upgrade. I am leaning towards the EXO and Stone for the same weight reason stated but I would also like to be cool with all the other kids so the Kifaru is still in the running. ALso following the big pack review and cant wait to see how the in field reports come out.

kaboku68

WKR
Your review was interesting but I have a question or suggestion. How does it deal with a load with heavy weight(150-225lbs) in dense brush? 225lbs might sound like overkill but it is what a hind quarter of a moose weighs and I have had packouts with mountain goats that weigh that much as well.

How does the pack material deal with alders and crud as you are hauling a big load. Your pards were carrying a kifaru and a stone glacier. Did you guys compare the balance of the packs when they were loaded and did you note any deficiencies with the carrying the pack under full load/

Jon Boy

WKR
Your review was interesting but I have a question or suggestion. How does it deal with a load with heavy weight(150-225lbs) in dense brush? 225lbs might sound like overkill but it is what a hind quarter of a moose weighs and I have had packouts with mountain goats that weigh that much as well.

How does the pack material deal with alders and crud as you are hauling a big load. Your pards were carrying a kifaru and a stone glacier. Did you guys compare the balance of the packs when they were loaded and did you note any deficiencies with the carrying the pack under full load/
The material is tough and rugged and I think would deal with alders well, but I can't say for sure as I didn't use it in that situation.

The exo has my favorite hip belt of the three packs mentioned but they all balance well under weight when properly loaded.

I cant comment on the 150-225 lb load range. I know Steve, the owner of exo, has tested the pack in those ranges. I personally couldn't pack that much weight for more than a mile and at that distance the pack would be the least of my worries. Barneys makes a applicable pack for moose quarter carrying and that's likely the pack id try for a task like that if i was capable.

kaboku68

WKR
Barney's packs are great for weight but they get caught up in Alders very easily. Internal frame haulers can do very great things in back alder country. Thank you for your comments.

calvb1

FNG
Thanks for the great review!
For those that have been able to try it. I love the idea of shortening the frame to use as a daypack pushing through old burn and brush, but still being able to extend it to make weight carrying easier.

How often have you actually switched the height? And is the 1.5 inch noticeable especially looking at getting hung up on brush etc?

I have had 3 different Exo packs and the last being 6400 and 4800 with k3 frames. I agree that there have been some nice upgrades, but for me the lumbar pad had way to much slip for my liking. This causes the pack to sag more than any other pack. I wanted the Exo to work badly as I love the company, but the Stone Glacier Xcurve just sticks to my back and I don’t constantly feel like I have to push it back up.

russm86

FNG
Have they changed the frame and shoulder straps at all? I found the K2 very snug and narrow. I'm about 5'11"/6' and 210lbs. Some say I have broader shoulders. Just could never get the K2 frame to fit me right compared to my Kifaru. Otherwise I liked the bags.

Jon Boy

WKR
I have had 3 different Exo packs and the last being 6400 and 4800 with k3 frames. I agree that there have been some nice upgrades, but for me the lumbar pad had way to much slip for my liking. This causes the pack to sag more than any other pack. I wanted the Exo to work badly as I love the company, but the Stone Glacier Xcurve just sticks to my back and I don’t constantly feel like I have to push it back up.
Did you try using their different lumbar pad?

Jon Boy

WKR
Yes I went from using 1 shim to using 3. 3 Worked the best for me, but still would end up slipping down to my butt after a few miles of hiking with 60lbs.
Dang I was hoping that'd be an easy fix! Glad you found a frame that works, I had the opposite experience with the SG, and just goes to show you have to try a bunch of packs before you find the one!

Jon Boy

WKR
Have they changed the frame and shoulder straps at all? I found the K2 very snug and narrow. I'm about 5'11"/6' and 210lbs. Some say I have broader shoulders. Just could never get the K2 frame to fit me right compared to my Kifaru. Otherwise I liked the bags.
I wish I had a side by side comparison of them right now, but can't say there seemed to be a huge difference. Maybe Steve could chime in.

I have the 4800 and 6400 K3 bags. Basically just use the 6400 now. All the bags compress down enough to use as day packs, and that is what I am doing. One pack for all tasks.

I didn't need more weight capability. I just wanted more space to make packing bulky stuff easier. The photo is my 4800 with a bulky old pad attached to the outside. Not going to get that into any of the bags, but I do love the additional room of the 4800.

20200102_173637-1.jpg