Exo Mountain K4?

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
in a water proof stuff sack or bag?

The weather changes constantly where I live, not digging the idea of having to deal with a bag within a bag any time I want to pull out or put away a rain jacket or poncho while on the move. Much easier to just stuff it in an external pocket.

If it has a water bladder pocket that will do fine though. Im not too married to the idea of using a bladder anyway.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
I built an earlier version with externally pleated pockets but didn't like it. The main theme of this bag is to be streamlined and low profile. The bag just lost that with the larger externally pleated poc

Was there a picture of that version for discussion, or you've just moved on so not worth hearing it out?

Maybe it's just me but a 12-13" wide pack is easily within my frame. And with the typically lighter loadout of a smaller capacity bag, a vertical stack is a bit less critical. (whereas I usually like the center of mass slightly below my shoulder blades).

I like the idea of a little extra width to keep the bag height lower. Maybe as it starts the bag expands much wider than the frame it's not quite so good...why everything is 10.5" wide?

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Well folks, I retract my critical comments about the K4 lumbar pad. I received my pack several days ago and wore it empty around the house, and finally this afternoon found some time to put a little weight on the frame. I loaded up 50 pounds and did laps around the house (I would have gone outside, but currently it's raining buckets (buckets may be an understatement) of water).
Steve was right, it is amazing with the weight on the frame.......unbelievable. I can't overstate how amazing the lumbar pad feels, well done @S&S ARCHERY.

Last edited:
Well folks, I retract my critical comments about the K4 lumbar pad. I received my pack several days ago and wore it empty around the house and finally, this afternoon found some time to put a little weight on the frame. I loaded up 50 pounds and did laps around the house (I would have gone outside, but currently it's raining buckets (buckets may be an understatement) of water).
Steve was right, it is amazing with the weight on the frame.......unbelievable. I can't overstate how amazing the lumbar pad feels, well done @S&S ARCHERY.
Good deal! I had zero doubts, it’s such a killer system, and very obvious a ton of thought and testing went into it. I like the idea of not caring what any other pack company releases in the near future, I’m not going to want it, and don’t need it.

I’m terrible with gear, it’s a very related but separate entity from hunting and packs have been among the worst for me wanting to try everything… now I have used enough packs, many of them being excellent, but the k4 has put itself in another category, and for my taste, it’s as close to perfect as I could imagine… better than I could design even if I could pick all features and traits and have them executed well… I’m glad there are companies like exo who are that passionate about their products and test them thoroughly before being content selling them. If they build the ultralite pack that they teased I will certainly buy one, but besides that, I’m done pack buying for the foreseeable future

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m terrible with gear, it’s a very related but separate entity from hunting and packs have been among the worst for me wanting to try everything… now I have used enough packs, many of them being excellent, but the k4 has put itself in another category, and for my taste, it’s as close to perfect as I could imagine… better than I could design even if I could pick all features and traits and have them executed well… I’m glad there are companies like exo who are that passionate about their products and test them thoroughly before being content selling them. If they build the ultralite pack that they teased I will certainly buy one, but besides that, I’m done pack buying for the foreseeable future
But are you?

I said that after buying a K2. Said it again after buying a K3 (then the belt gave me issues). Said it again after finally tweaking an SO to work well for me. We will see if I'm there with the K4. I think between the K4 and an integrated SO I have ultralight and ultra-comfortable covered. So, if I can content myself, I should be done for a bit.

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Good deal! I had zero doubts, it’s such a killer system, and very obvious a ton of thought and testing went into it. I like the idea of not caring what any other pack company releases in the near future, I’m not going to want it, and don’t need it.

I am very satisfied with the pack as well, and I am done looking. I’ve purchased and used packs from 5 different companies, and have concluded the K4 is the right one for me.
Also, I used the K3 last year and really enjoyed the pack on several elk and deer hunts. I was able to pack out 3 elk and one deer and was very pleased with its performance.
No doubt the K4 is even better.

But are you?
I can say with confidence that I won’t be tempted. I always circle back to exo since the exo skeleton, and the k4 is absolutely my favorite, I’m beyond content with it. For the hunting I do, I can’t ask for anything more… if they build that ultralight pack, I will get one for sure, but besides that, I’m rocking the k4 until the next generation is released, and I’m sure I’ll want it, and I do like supporting companies like exo, so it won’t be hard to justify when the time comes.

My thoughts the last couple years was the perfect pack was exo comfort and bag designs with the stability of the kifaru with ultra heavy loads, and the K4 does that and then some

I got rid of everything besides my k2, I’m keeping it, and my pop up is my steelhead pack, but the k4 will be doing the heavy lifting for a good amount of time.

choovhntr

WKR
When are they coming out with the meat/shelf/crib panel for the K4?

I would imagine soon. I actually got one since I preordered it with the pack back in January. Sounds like they just ran out. I will say I like the higher attachment point on the frame of the k2 crib better than the new lower attachment point. Made it easier to “wrap“ smaller loads and keep them high on the frame. I do like the ability to add pockets to the new one though if you want to run it without a bag.