Experienced based opinions needed on this scope Zeiss Conquest V4

DMTJAGER

FNG
Classified Approved
Experienced based opinions of this scope for use as a all around deer/elk hunting scope would be of great help.
Only have two main concerns:
#1 Holds zero/durability
#2 Dials and tracks with absolute reputability and accuracy.

Will sit atop stout recoiling rifles along the line of Tikka T3 Lite 300wsm

270quest

WKR
Have the 4-16x50 version on a Tikka Superlite 7 rem mag....Has been an absolute workhorse for me. Has been dropped, scratched, dinged - basically used a a tool and has performed flawlessly. That setup has taken around 20-25 big game animals in the last few years from 50 yards out to 613 yards. Has dialed and returned to zero everytime. Probably has about 200-250 rounds down the tube at the range shooting gongs and other LR shooting. In that arena I have taken it out to 800 on gongs and rocks and adjustments have been solid and return to zero as well.

I admit I am a big Zeiss Fan, but I really like the V4 and have been happy with mine.

Not that it matters necessary and doesn't mean they are built the same, but the Conquest V4 and the NF SHV are built in the same factory in Japan.

CorbLand

WKR
I PMD Form, not he tested one but he said they are suseptable to side impacts and loss of zero but I know a couple people that have them and really like them.

Depending on how high of a level of confidence you want for your two stipulations...Nightforce NXS would meet both of those with certainty but does come with a price tag of three times the Zeiss.

1701464433402.png

Last edited:
Both my boys have them on their 7 mm mags and they have been great. Dropped elk at 660 and 600 yards. So far after 2 years of elk hunting dial spot on and return to zero.

hiker270

WKR
Have a Zeiss V4 4-16x44 on my Tikka Roughtech 300 mag. Scope has been flawless on several Colorado and Montana elk hunts.

I had the 50mm model on a proof 308 a couple years back. Love the glass, price, features. It seemed to dial reliable but it lost zero twice, once costing me a nice mule deer.

MThuntr

WKR
I have that 4-16x44 with a different reticle on a 300WinMag. Tracks great and does all I could ask. I've never dropped in any fashion like something Form has done. I'll cross that bridge when it comes but until then I'm very happy with the scope and it just plain works without weighing 30oz.

A word from the wise is Zeiss does not have a no questions asked warranty....necessary or not that could be a deciding factor.

I have one that sits on a 6 CM and rides on the back seat floor board of an F150. Comes out in a hurry when a coyote pops out of the brush. It’s been so abused cosmetically I could never sell it. It’s been on and stayed on for 3-4 years now. Never lost zero. Not once. Which reminds me I should prob clean off the lenses. 😬

Same story as many above, great glass and zero issues for 3 years between a 7mag and 6.5cm

Spent some time behind my 4-16x44 today. It’s got a better eye box than the German made Schott glass V6. The V6 is a tad clearer and more sharp, but does have a slight “paper towel roll” effect where you can see the blackened inside of the scope around the edges of the view. The V4 is like Leupold VX5/VX6 in that the image goes all the way to the edge.

OP
D

DMTJAGER

FNG
Classified Approved
If you can push your budget just *slightly* higher you can find Trijicon 3-18x44 for like $8XX and those are extremely reliable optics.
If I could find a SFP/MOA Trijicon Tenmile HX it would be sitting on a rifle already. Find lots of SFP but no MOA models only MRADs.

I have three of them for a short while and like them, very nice quality of glass. The only thing - the optical zoom on these does not seem to get you as "close" to the target as equivalent zoom on at least two other brands (Leupold and Vortex) that I compared to. The Zeiss on 16x is the same apparent magnification as Leupold and Vortex on about 12x. Not a big deal to me but that was the only small disappointment to me.

I have three of them for a short while and like them, very nice quality of glass. The only thing - the optical zoom on these does not seem to get you as "close" to the target as equivalent zoom on at least two other brands (Leupold and Vortex) that I compared to. The Zeiss on 16x is the same apparent magnification as Leupold and Vortex on about 12x. Not a big deal to me but that was the only small disappointment to me.

That sounds like a focus issue. Per manual, set to highest magnification and set parallax to infinity. Look at blank wall and turn focus all the way in and back it out till reticle is clear but make sure you are looking away and just take 2 second glances at reticle while making adjustments.

Once I did this process like the manual suggested, I got it on the money. If your focus is turned all the way in, images will not appear as "magnified".

In regards to Japanese manufacturing, I buy with confidence. The Japanese do yoga and stretching before work and culturally they don't watch the time clock. They care more about quality than getting off work.

Sadler

WKR
In regards to Japanese manufacturing, I buy with confidence. The Japanese do yoga and stretching before work and culturally they don't watch the time clock. They care more about quality than getting off work.
Somebody needs to remove all the clocks out of the entire building they assemble the vortex scopes in.