Extended COAL for tikka rifles/mags?

6.5guy

FNG
Hey so I’ve been reloading for my Tikka 300wm. It’s a great rifle but my only complaint is the case over all length is limited to 3.34” or so in the stock magazines. My question is, is there anything you can do to extend that COAL without going to AICS mags? Personally I really like the flush fit of the tikka mags and don’t want an AICS mag poking me in the back while out hunting.

Gila

WKR
You can get 3.4” mags from MT or even Beretta sells Tikka after market mags that will take 3.4”. If you are going to load the heavies (200 gr plus Low Drags) for the 300 WM, 3.4” may not be enough. But the T3x action itself has a limit of about 3.5” anyway. Even if you go AICS, 3.48” is the max in a chassis.

OP
6.5guy

6.5guy

FNG
You can get 3.4” mags from MT or even Beretta sells Tikka after market mags that will take 3.4”. If you are going to load the heavies (200 gr plus Low Drags) for the 300 WM, 3.4” may not be enough. But the T3x action itself has a limit of about 3.5” anyway. Even if you go AICS, 3.48” is the max in a chassis.
thanks for that info, yeah the overall length really seems to be the crutch of the tikka design.

Taudisio

WKR
Hey so I’ve been reloading for my Tikka 300wm. It’s a great rifle but my only complaint is the case over all length is limited to 3.34” or so in the stock magazines. My question is, is there anything you can do to extend that COAL without going to AICS mags? Personally I really like the flush fit of the tikka mags and don’t want an AICS mag poking me in the back while out hunting.
I shoot my 30 nosler with mt mags/bm at 3.410”

OP
6.5guy

6.5guy

FNG
On long actions, yes. But it's awesome for all the medium and short action cartridges.
300wsm tikka is waaaay better than a 300wm tikka.
True, maybe I should just rebarrel to 300wsm or 7 saum…

Gila

WKR
I re-barreled my Tikka 300 WM to 6.8 Western. I haven’t shot it yet though. I have ladder tests loaded up for 165 LRABs and 175 gr Gamechangers.

300 wsm has quality brass available now from what I have seen lately. If you already have some 30 cal bullets and powders would be a cheaper option. You could get the MT LA mags and just shoot it long. No need to change the bolt stop. The MT LA mags will also feed the 7 SAUMS well if you decide to go that route.