Extended warranty on a used vehicle

Has anyone had and good or bad experiences with purchasing an extended warranty when buying a used vehicle?

Yep will never waste that money again. This was on a diesel and the warranty (unknown to me) specifically excluded the DEF system as “part of the exhaust system” but the truck won’t run if the system goes down. Also specifically asked for a Ford warranty and sales man lied by making it an Autonation warranty I also found out later. Ended up cancelling the warranty for a prorated refund and paid off my truck a little earlier.

I bought one with a 2000 tacoma. Engine blew @ 50k, warranty company refused my claim until I hired an attorney to fight with them. They did pay out eventually but it was a nightmare that included attorney $.

I bought another with an 03 Cummins, and the dealer never turned in my paperwork to the aftermarket warranty company to initiate the warranty. I was prorated a refund by the dealer after numerous calls and eventually showing up in person. Both times were a headache.

I just denied one on a 4runner we bought for my GF. The dealer kind of gave us a hard time about not wanting to buy the warranty , we still refused. The alternator went out leaving us stranded on the road 30 miles from the dealership..... we called and they made sure to remind me that we refused the warranty.

I have had crap experiences w aftermarket warranties.

Blazer0290

Lil-Rokslider
We actually just had a good experience with an Extended Warranty on our daughters 2012 Audi Q5 W/100K.
I was always against them. I can tear apart a SB Chevy and rebuild it, but I don't know crap about euro engines , I went ahead and spent the $3,900 on the platinum Warranty, That was in February of this year, fast forward to last week Car started leaking antifreeze from who knows where and oil out of the valve cover, It was a cracked Water Pump and Thermostat, and leaking valve cover gasket, Parts weren't all that much but the labor was crazy, total on the bill was going to be just over 4K at our Audi dealer. Ending up paying $800 out of pocket. Almost paid for the warranty with the first time using it. It's Just really important to look at the contract word for word and find exactly what's included and Excluded.

bigv

Lil-Rokslider
It is something you should really consider. I just bought a '21 silverado. It has some existing warranty so I opted not to get extended. Kinda wonder if I should have because the price of parts to fix ANYTHING on vehicles is now crazy!! Even a tail light is several hundreds of dollars. The companies just screw you.

Last summer "we" paid sticker price to a dealler for 3-yr old Forester w/15k, got the extended waranty.
Been pinging it for wheel bearings (all 4 in three trips) and a fitting on the tailgate. Close to breakeven on that alone and several years left. I hate those things b/c its like gambling against the house, but it seems to have paid off this time.

You need to read carefully. I’ve had a few and never had one actually pay out for anything.

They often exclude parts, like sensors, consumables like the battery, software loading, non-internal lubricated parts, ect….

Had a Honda with a tranny issue. Not covered cause it was some second gear clutch pack sensor.

Had a Honda with a software issue. New software was covered, but having the dealer load the software wasn’t. Also the battery they said needed replaced wasn’t covered(less than 1 year old Honda branded battery).

Have had other issues as well. These days I generally don’t get the warranty.

I'd only consider OEM. Some dealers sell wholesale depending on manufacturer. I'm about to buy one through granger ford as my f150 whose 36 months is almost up.

OP
MuleyFever
If you did a search you would have found the recent thread on this exact issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dang, I missed it. Was looking for Extended in the title.

Other thread for anyone else interested in this topic.

Sapcut

WKR
I have been in that business representing several different companies selling their warranty/service contracts to car dealers. I can tell you, without a doubt, basically every aspect from any angle, it is a shady business. Deceptive, vague, hiding the sausage kinda of business. However, salesman, dealers and warranty companies can make a ton of money.

The third party guy I worked for consistently made $30k-40k per month selling products to dealers.

Last edited:

Yoder

WKR
I never buy them. They usually find a loophole to deny your claim. My extended warranty is $5k in my savings account.

Holski

FNG
We bought my wife a new car and the sales people pushed the extended warranty hard, I was a firm no since ive been burned in the past. However, my wife felt like we should. Its not a hill I wanted to die on so we got it. Again, it hasn't covered a single thing that's gone wrong. She actually admitted she should have listened to me though so maybe that was worth the $5k haha

GSPHUNTER

WKR
We bought my wife a new car and the sales people pushed the extended warranty hard, I was a firm no since ive been burned in the past. However, my wife felt like we should. Its not a hill I wanted to die on so we got it. Again, it hasn't covered a single thing that's gone wrong. She actually admitted she should have listened to me though so maybe that was worth the $5k haha
The biggest bitch I have with extended warranty on new vehicle is, they start right away, all new vehicles come with warranties, so do I really need to pay for something that is already covered????? RIPOFF........

Backyard

WKR
Never had a problem when my intake on my F150 took a crap. Or the entire primary and clutch on my HD had to be replaced. No hassles ever. I even extended the one for my bike. Payed for itself. I probably hot ripped off though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk