External or internal frame

So I would like to get some thoughts from guys that do a lot of hike in hunting. After years of using a cheap backpack deer hunting I am looking to buy a frame pack that I can use for hunting out west for packing out meat/multiday hunts that would still serve me as a deer hunting pack. I thought about an external frame as that gives the ability to change to different size bags but that can get expensive and is a lot to keep up with. I also like the idea of a large internal frame pack that is simple and can do it all but thought having that much space could be cumbersome on shorter hunts. Any general thoughts or specific bags are welcome. I want to buy once cry once as they say when it comes to getting a pack. Sorry if this has been asked before I'm sure it has been after looking at some older posts. I am new to the site and am just getting to a point in life where i can afford and have time to do the hunts I always dreamed of doing. Also welcome any input on things to avoid.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
You need to evaluate your size needs first. October out west needs more space for clothes than September. Is your gear bulky or lean? 3 days or 7 day pack ins? In other words do you need 4500 cu in or 7500?

OP
J
I am thinking 4-5 day hunts. Most of my gear will be lean. As i am creating my kit I am trying to go as small and simple as possible. Though i may do some Oct. hunts so extra clothes could be a real possibility.

Fedster

FNG
My take (and what I do) is an external frame and bags of different sizes depending on the need. I find it to be the most flexible approach (and storing away bags is simpler than storing away different backpacks). I use a Seek Outside. The reasonable advice is, try as much as possible to try (or buy and return) a pack to find the one that *you* like and works well for *you*.

Welcome to the site. Frames / bag choices are one do the top questions here. The search function really works good to look at comparisons. On the main Rokslide webpage you can find some good in depth reviews of packs. Kifaru/stone glacier/exo mountian/ mystery ranch/seek outside are the main packs you will see reviewed /discussed /used. Eberlestock is there as well with their mainframe set up. Pack size you will likely want and 5000/6000 size pack and there are a ton in the range to choose from. Since you are new to looking at all of them, I’d go to each company’s website and look at the pack set ups. You’ll eventually find a configuration that works. Then, you just need to decide on a frame to use. All the company’s are great about picking up the phone and answering questions as well and they will help steer you one direction or another. I’ve used all the company’s except seek outside. I have my favorite, but it will be up to you to find the pack that fits you the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk