Extra wide sleeping bag… am I crazy?

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
I went to REI and laid down in a “wide” model Magma 15 bag. It has a 70 inch girth at the shoulders. It seals up really well at the top though with a nice baffle and the hood is really comfortable. I’m 5’10” and 190 lbs… so I could lose a few lbs, but I’m not sure I need such a big bag. That being said, it was really comfortable, and I could see it working really well as a side sleeper.

Am I crazy for considering at such a wide bag for three season backpacking?

ianpadron

WKR
Just note that wider bags take longer to heat up and aren't as efficient as a properly fitted bag. Definitely a sweet spot between not feeling claustrophobic and having extra space to have to heat

OP
D

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
Just note that wider bags take longer to heat up and aren't as efficient as a properly fitted bag. Definitely a sweet spot between not feeling claustrophobic and having extra space to have to heat
That's exactly my concern. The weight is pretty reasonably, but 70 inches is pretty huge.

JNDEER

WKR
I second ZenBivy!

There is a sweet spot for size and warmth. Go too big and you will get a lot of cold spots. I sometimes use a really wide version for summer/early fall and will use a more properly fitted version for late fall/early winter. Pad r value plays a HUGE roll as well.

I had El Coyote build me an extra wide and extra long quilt. I'm 100% a side sleeper, and its the most comfortable camping sleep I've ever had. That being said, I went a little too big, the extra wide is more bulk than I really need. I'm 6'3", 220, so I'd go long again, but regular width, especially in a quilt. In a mummy bag, I'd probably need the extra width to be anywhere near comfortable.

I absolutely hate mummy style bags. I prefer a wide bag and a full rectangle. If it’s bigger then I stuff a few extra clothes in it to take up some space. A good pad is a must.

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
The mummy bag shape is terrible for my weird side sleeping style. I bought a WM sequoia because of its wide layout and have loved it. It’s a 5 degree bag and I’ve spent probably 10 nights right around 5 degrees. I have noticed cold spots, but ended up just tossing a down jacket loose in the bag with me and it seemed to find and fill voids pretty well.

Cowsmilk

FNG
I’m also a side sleeper so I wouldn’t mind a little more room to be comfortable. I’m also short as all get out and would rather a little extra girth than at least a foot of bag I would never use. Nemo has a “spoon” shape that seems to be a good fit for my style of sleeping, but they don’t make anything for my 5’4” frame. I either have to get a custom bag, or get a women’s bag.

bnsafe

WKR
I cant compare to anything else so take it for what its worth. But, I cannot sleep in mummy bags, its a solid no go.
I bought a wiggys rectangular and LOVE it.

J31Bodie

FNG
If you want some room in a bag, you might look at the Big Agnes Anvil Horn bags. I'm 6'3", 310lbs (think NFL lineman) and I bought the wide version, which has an 80" shoulder width. I had plenty of room, and with the drawstring closure for the face opening I can configure it to whatever opening I wish for the way I'm sleeping, which is usually on my side. The bag has a really nice system for enclosing and attaching your sleeping pad too, so it never gets away from you and you can't fall off of it. I have their Boundary Boundary Deluxe pad in the 30"x78" size, and the Anvil Horn is designed to fit it or a 25" width great. The Anvil Horn version I got is a 15F bag; I think they make a 0F as well. Good luck in your search!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Zen Bivy looks nice, but they've lost their mind on their new ultra light quilt costs. XL quilt in a 10 degree version is like $769. That's just for the quilt part. No sheet or pad. No thanks on that one.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk