Factory grip or side plate?

87TT

WKR
I have three Hoyt bows but am currently shooting a Helix. I have been experiencing torque issues with it. I liked the wood grip on the Pro Defiant better than the rubber grips on the Helix. I rembered an old Nockonarchery video where Dudley said first thing he did was throw away the factory grips. I tried it and seemed to feel better and shoot better for me. Then I started looking for side plates more for comfort carrying but also shooting. Man! Those things were pricey. I had some curly maple left from a flintlock build so tried my hand at making a set. They work great and I am shooting better. Win win.

Question do you use regular grips, side plates or nothing?

KIMG0352.jpeg

Marble

WKR
On my Carbon spider and the defiant, I took the grips off. I preferred the thinner grip because i put less torque into my shots. I thought about getting side plates but just never did.

My axius has a thinner grip ( i think its like the helix)o I just kept the standard grips.

But man those side grips you made are awesome looking! Well done!!

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OR Archer

WKR
I have the stock grip on my RX4 Ultra. All of my previous Hoyts I used side plates. This is the first stock grip I have liked.

Bobcat

Lil-Rokslider
One of the 1st things I did to my Mathews VXR was remove the grip. I’ve got side plates but never put them on because I like shooting off just the riser

OP
87TT

87TT

WKR
I guess it depends on the bow. The Helix just felt fat in my hands. Just the riser was fine. But it does feel better when I carry it. Which will be a lot hunting.

Last edited:

TheTone

WKR
I shot my alphamax for a long time with the wood grip and then went to just the riser. I liked it better and think I shot it better

Current v3x I’m shooting with the stock grip but plan to go to side plates or bare riser soonish

OP
87TT

87TT

WKR
So far, I'm liking it. I saw another video from Levi Morgan where he put a small strip in nonskid tread tape on the back of the riser. That has been a game changer. If my hand gets sweaty or wearing gloves, no slip. Now I can concentrate on my release. It's narrow so no torque. Just enough to keep the riser from sliding or trying to and me trying to stop it causing torque.