Failed!! Unsuccessful DIY Spring Hunt Onto Fall

Returned from a 10 day diy spot and stalk hunt in Montana. Unfortunately we went 0-4 in are group we hunted hard and saw no legal bears. Had a lot of fun in the moutons and determined to come back and try it again this fall. I've heard many conflicting stories about the fall being easier than the spring and harder. Looking for useful information on Fall Bear hunting!

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
Returned from a 10 day diy spot and stalk hunt in Montana. Unfortunately we went 0-4 in are group we hunted hard and saw no legal bears. Had a lot of fun in the moutons and determined to come back and try it again this fall. I've heard many conflicting stories about the fall being easier than the spring and harder. Looking for useful information on Fall Bear hunting!
Bummer, but glad y’all had fun. Were y’all seeing lots of sows and cubs and small boars? Did you see any grizzlies? I’ve been considering going to Montana next spring to try with a couple friends. I’ve killed two on guided spot and stalk hunts, and I’d like to try DIY.

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
I feel your pain, my first year trying as a montana resident, I finally found some bears but I just ran out of time. I went solo a couple of long weekends toward the end of season. I came super close on a couple of stalks but no cigar. But I know where I am going to start off this fall.

OP
N
We did bump a sow and a cub at 75 yards that was neat other then that the Greenup happend to fast i believe and everyone we were talking to weren't seeing bears. We were a couple weekends too late in my book.

OP
N
Other than locating berry patches? what can a guy do during the fall also heard bears are more nocturnal during night.

Rogue Bay

WKR
What part of Montana are you looking at? I used to live in northwestern Montana and had really good luck hunting the huckleberries during September. We also shot a few bears out of Kinikinik (sp?) berries. My personal feeling is that fall is a little more of a reliable hunt but others may disagree. I hope that helps.

gtriple

WKR
What dates did you go?

I don't think fall is easier than spring, but it's all about finding their food source in the fall. Find spots you can see multiple berry patches and just park it for a whole day. Split up into 4 close-ish areas to cover as much country as possible.

OP
N
What part of Montana are you looking at? I used to live in northwestern Montana and had really good luck hunting the huckleberries during September. We also shot a few bears out of Kinikinik (sp?) berries. My personal feeling is that fall is a little more of a reliable hunt but others may disagree. I hope that helps.
Roy sent PM

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
Fall bears in Montana is tough because the rifle season doesn’t start till September 15, right when the berries are drying up and bears are moving to new food sources. The early archery season might be more fruitful for seeing bears, but the archery element adds another list of challenges

OP
N
What dates did you go?

I don't think fall is easier than spring, but it's all about finding their food source in the fall. Find spots you can see multiple berry patches and just park it for a whole day. Split up into 4 close-ish areas to cover as much country as possible.
We went may 14-23