Fake Merino Wool?

RedPaint

FNG
I have some big name garments that are 95-100% merino wool. However, they are made in other countries such as China and Vietnam. Does anyone know how reliable the wool content is? Anyone test big name base layer makers for real wool? I’ve read of products advertised as 100% wool from China that were lab tested and were synthetic.

OP
R

RedPaint

FNG
I guess there is a burn test. I have never done it. Any wool experts?

Wrench

WKR
My first lite chama works reasonable when wet, I had to take my black ovis merino off because it was making me freeze and I was warmer without it.

They don't feel the same and I don't know which is genuine, but they both claim to be the same material but behave 100% different when wet.

sneaky

"DADDY"
My first lite chama works reasonable when wet, I had to take my black ovis merino off because it was making me freeze and I was warmer without it.

They don't feel the same and I don't know which is genuine, but they both claim to be the same material but behave 100% different when wet.
Black Ovis is a 50/50 merino/poly blend, and about a thousand times more durable than any of the FL merino.

To the OP, probably 99% of any merino garments you find on the market now are going to be made in Asia, that's just the reality. Reputable brands aren't going to risk their reputations by trying to substitute inferior products.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Merino wool comes from the Merino breed of sheep, but wool can come from many different animals. Alpaca, camels, rabbits, even dog. Maybe the chinese garments are using dog wool now?

Black Ovis is a 50/50 merino/poly blend, and about a thousand times more durable than any of the FL merino.

To the OP, probably 99% of any merino garments you find on the market now are going to be made in Asia, that's just the reality. Reputable brands aren't going to risk their reputations by trying to substitute inferior products.

My black ovis pilled so bad the 1st weekend I wore it i thought I mite be naked at the end of day 3.
While my FL is all going strong.

sneaky

"DADDY"
My black ovis pilled so bad the 1st weekend I wore it i thought I mite be naked at the end of day 3.
Exact opposite of my experience. Hell, I used to be a dealer for FL when they first came out and got tired of having to deal with customers over ripped seams on first gen Kanabs and piss poor durability of their merino shirts. I don't own a single piece of FL merino that doesn't look like it's been shot with a shotgun. None of my BO pieces even have a single hole in them. I think the FL Red Desert boxers are the single worst piece of clothing I've ever used. Those things wouldn't last through a single hunt seemed like. There's a reason FL started going with blends like everyone else.

Interesting. I have a few BO pieces with some FL coming in. Just begun building my set and interested in this thread.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

Thousand times Had both, Aerowool has been better in every way. durability, smell and dry time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CCooper

WKR
Mirrors my experience with the Black Ovis merino I bought. Get exactly what you pay for like most things.

OP
R

RedPaint

FNG
I really like Smartwool, First Lite and MTNOPS merino wool. Smartwool seems to have the tightest weave of the 3, with FL being less tight.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I still have a pair of the FL Allegheny merino base bottoms that don't have a single hole in them. I've had them at least 5 years and I wear them every elk season for at least a few days at a time before changing them out. Last year my brand new Minus 33 merino bottoms developed holes in just a few days of wear. Every season I still wear a lightweight merino top from Cabela's that I bought in 2007. The ends of the sleeves are frayed, but overall it's still wearable. The same bottoms on the other hand, have officially been retired. They lasted awhile, but now seem to have more holes than material. But I'm still a big fan of 100% merino over the blends, even if I have to replace them more often.

I actually tried to burn some of the frayed ends on my Cabela's top, and they certainly don't burn or melt like synthetics do. And they were made in China.

OP
R

RedPaint

FNG
I still have a pair of the FL Allegheny merino base bottoms that don't have a single hole in them. I've had them at least 5 years and I wear them every elk season for at least a few days at a time before changing them out. Last year my brand new Minus 33 merino bottoms developed holes in just a few days of wear. Every season I still wear a lightweight merino top from Cabela's that I bought in 2007. The ends of the sleeves are frayed, but overall it's still wearable. The same bottoms on the other hand, have officially been retired. They lasted awhile, but now seem to have more holes than material. But I'm still a big fan of 100% merino over the blends, even if I have to replace them more often.

I actually tried to burn some of the frayed ends on my Cabela's top, and they certainly don't burn or melt like synthetics do. And they were made in China.
Good to know. Thanks

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thousand times Had both, Aerowool has been better in every way. durability, smell and dry time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You do you, all I can report on is MY experience, which is different from yours

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Since someone mentioned (substandard) wool boxers, I'll toss in a vote for both the Icebreaker and Smartwool undergarments (have to give the nod to the smartwool, which I prefer for durability + cut). Converted all of my boxers to wool. Also wear smartwool longjohns for skiing & hunting (special shout out to those high-cut ones that don't get into your boot).

I have some icebreaker shirts from 5-6 years ago that I've beaten to death. Looks like I wrestled an angry sloth and lost. Won't let the wife throw them out. I tell her that no one can see the holes when I'm wearing a pack.