Fall raptors?

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
I've always been a fan of observing raptors, especially during migration where many can be seen in one day from one vantage point. I grew up in such a spot in southern Ontario.

I was curious what type of raptors I might expect in the fall in Wyoming?

I understand the migration begins at different times for different species in some birds may not migrate at all while others do sort of a shift, rather than a full migration south.

I haven't looked up the ranges of these species specifically or lately, but interested, especially in the foragenous hawk and the swainsons Hawk, as well as prairie falcon, and various Western Buteos such as variations of red-tailed, hawks etc.

bobr1

WKR
As a former falconer you can see most of the native raptors moving through the major flyways. Except Harris’s hawks. Now you might only see an occasional gyr falcon.

Last edited:
Without knowing where you will be spending the majority of your time, the sky is the limit for your birding.
Yes I think that you have good chances of seeing just about every species native to the Rocky Mountain Region. I live in Northeast Wyoming but travel quite a bit. The common ones will be seen readily no matter what the area. The prairie falcons that I have seen are at Devils Tower. We see northern harrier, sharp-shined, and ferruginous hawks further south and west. A good number of red-tails throughout the state when we are out and about in the summer and fall. In short, I think that you have good odds of seeing raptors especially if you get in contact with some biologists or bird groups. Sorry but I don't have those contacts.

Rich M

WKR
I was in CO once and there were all kinds if hawks and owls, it was a couple days before a major cold front. Next day there were gone. Was an awesome trip.

The Ferruginous hawks are one I always appreciate.

I'm not sure about Wyoming or where you'll be but on the Colorado side, it's always a treat for me to see a Golden eagle.

sneaky

"DADDY"

I'm not sure about Wyoming or where you'll be but on the Colorado side, it's always a treat for me to see a Golden eagle.
I have one here by my house that's been getting fat and happy on roadkill deer. He can barely fly sometimes he's so full. Resident bald eagle wants no part of him either.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
Seen a golden eagle on that trip. Them things are big.

Ee get a lot of bald eagles and ospreys down here along w mostly small hawks.

OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
As a former falconer you can see most of the native raptors moving through the major flyways. Except Harris’s hawks. Now you might only see an occasional gyr falcon.
Why no Harris? Not native or already gone south? (I've seen them before in Texas and other southwest states. Beautiful bird.

Coincidentally, I saw your reply as I drove past the "International Falconry Academy" near Live Oak, FL while traveling for work.

Without knowing where you will be spending the majority of your time, the sky is the limit for your birding.
Yes I think that you have good chances of seeing just about every species native to the Rocky Mountain Region. I live in Northeast Wyoming but travel quite a bit. The common ones will be seen readily no matter what the area. The prairie falcons that I have seen are at Devils Tower. We see northern harrier, sharp-shined, and ferruginous hawks further south and west. A good number of red-tails throughout the state when we are out and about in the summer and fall. In short, I think that you have good odds of seeing raptors especially if you get in contact with some biologists or bird groups. Sorry but I don't have those contacts.
I appreciate the insight. I can look up the ABA lists for Wyoming as our potential date (Oct probably) draws nearer.

Our hunt will probably be in the east. Lower trophy potential, higher draw odds with zero points type of unit!

We have Sharpies and Coopers fairly regular here in NC in winter, along with Harriers and Kestrels being common in winter. Occasional Peregrine in winter (one or two a year). Bald Eagles, Redtails are most common. Red-shouldered have been quite vocal and active at this time of year. Osprey, too.
I was in CO once and there were all kinds if hawks and owls, it was a couple days before a major cold front. Next day there were gone. Was an awesome trip.
Fantastic!

Truth. A Golden is special. We used to see one or two a year at the hawkwatch site in Grimsby ON, Canada.
I have one here by my house that's been getting fat and happy on roadkill deer. He can barely fly sometimes he's so full. Resident bald eagle wants no part of him either.
LOL
Seen a golden eagle on that trip. Them things are big.

Ee get a lot of bald eagles and ospreys down here along w mostly small hawks.
Thanks.

bobr1

WKR
Why no Harris? Not native or already gone south? (I've seen them before in Texas and other southwest states. Beautiful bird.

Coincidentally, I saw your reply as I drove past the "International Falconry Academy" near Live Oak, FL while traveling for work.

I appreciate the insight. I can look up the ABA lists for Wyoming as our potential date (Oct probably) draws nearer.

Our hunt will probably be in the east. Lower trophy potential, higher draw odds with zero points type of unit!

We have Sharpies and Coopers fairly regular here in NC in winter, along with Harriers and Kestrels being common in winter. Occasional Peregrine in winter (one or two a year). Bald Eagles, Redtails are most common. Red-shouldered have been quite vocal and active at this time of year. Osprey, too.

Fantastic!

Truth. A Golden is special. We used to see one or two a year at the hawkwatch site in Grimsby ON, Canada.

LOL

Thanks.
Harris’s hawks northern range is really far south, they aren’t typically going much farther north than Texas. Mostly a southwest bird, so you won’t see them flying through Wyoming.